NAVAL MINES REMAIN CHINA'S MOST EFFECTIVE AREA DENIAL WEAPON

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Chinese_Mine_Layer.jpg

PLA Naval Personnel Practice Laying Mines
To prevent the United States from intervening in an assault on Taiwan, China's People's Liberation Army is likely to use naval mines in an anti-access and area denial strategy, Lyle Goldstein of the US Naval War College's China Maritime Studies Institute wrote in a piece published in National Interest magazine on Oct. 14.

In World War II, the parachute-retarded influence sea mine with magnetic or acoustic exploders was one of two weapons besides the B-29 strategic bomber that the US used successfully to destroy the Japanese economy and morale. North Korea subsequently used sea mines to good effect against UN forces led by the US off the port of Wonsan during the Korean War, though the the US was able to prevent the North from using the port. During the Gulf War, two US warships were seriously damaged by Iraqi sea mines.

One thing American defense analyses have always ignored is that sea mines remain a core tenet of Chinese naval doctrine, according to Goldstein. Mines and their precursors have been used since the Ming Dynasty in the 14th century and while they may not grab the attention like China's more advanced anti-ship ballistic missiles, supersonic anti-ship cruise missiles and hypersonic weapons, they are the weapons that are likely to be used as a key tactic.

Several years ago, a professor from the PLA Navy's Qingdao Submarine Academy told Chinese military magazine Ordinance Science and Technology that sea mines still play an important role in China's conception of naval warfare. Using the example of the USS Samuel B Roberts, an Oliver Hazard Perry-class guided missile frigate severely damaged by an Iranian mine in 1988, the professor said that even a fishing boat with simple modifications can carry out mine blockades.

Goldstein used the August 2015 issue of Modern Ships, another Chinese military magazine focusing on the development of naval warships around the world, to demonstrate China's mine blockade capability against Taiwan. During the first phase of an assault, which could last between four to six days, the PLA could deploy 5,000-7,000 mines in the waters around the island.

China would then deploy another 7,000 mines during the second phase. This means that more than 10,000 mines would be laid in just 10 days, compared to the 12,135 mines laid in the waters around Japan during Operation Starvation in the last year of World War II, Goldstein said.

Naval mines remain China's most effective area denial weapon|WCT

Chinese_Mine_Layer.jpg

PLA Naval Personnel Practice Laying Mines
To prevent the United States from intervening in an assault on Taiwan, China's People's Liberation Army is likely to use naval mines in an anti-access and area denial strategy, Lyle Goldstein of the US Naval War College's China Maritime Studies Institute wrote in a piece published in National Interest magazine on Oct. 14.

In World War II, the parachute-retarded influence sea mine with magnetic or acoustic exploders was one of two weapons besides the B-29 strategic bomber that the US used successfully to destroy the Japanese economy and morale. North Korea subsequently used sea mines to good effect against UN forces led by the US off the port of Wonsan during the Korean War, though the the US was able to prevent the North from using the port. During the Gulf War, two US warships were seriously damaged by Iraqi sea mines.

One thing American defense analyses have always ignored is that sea mines remain a core tenet of Chinese naval doctrine, according to Goldstein. Mines and their precursors have been used since the Ming Dynasty in the 14th century and while they may not grab the attention like China's more advanced anti-ship ballistic missiles, supersonic anti-ship cruise missiles and hypersonic weapons, they are the weapons that are likely to be used as a key tactic.

Several years ago, a professor from the PLA Navy's Qingdao Submarine Academy told Chinese military magazine Ordinance Science and Technology that sea mines still play an important role in China's conception of naval warfare. Using the example of the USS Samuel B Roberts, an Oliver Hazard Perry-class guided missile frigate severely damaged by an Iranian mine in 1988, the professor said that even a fishing boat with simple modifications can carry out mine blockades.

Goldstein used the August 2015 issue of Modern Ships, another Chinese military magazine focusing on the development of naval warships around the world, to demonstrate China's mine blockade capability against Taiwan. During the first phase of an assault, which could last between four to six days, the PLA could deploy 5,000-7,000 mines in the waters around the island.

China would then deploy another 7,000 mines during the second phase. This means that more than 10,000 mines would be laid in just 10 days, compared to the 12,135 mines laid in the waters around Japan during Operation Starvation in the last year of World War II, Goldstein said.

Naval mines remain China's most effective area denial weapon|WCT

Does China have the ability to deploy mines using aircrafts at high altitude, like the Americans just did with their naval mine modified to a JDAM like stuff, where they deployed the naval mine with an aircraft flying at an altitude of 10000m.

Does China have the ability to deploy mines using aircrafts at high altitude, like the Americans just did with their naval mine modified to a JDAM like stuff, where they deployed the naval mine with an aircraft flying at an altitude of 10000m.

This is a TV footage of sea mine being dropped from H-6 bomber at high altitude. These cylinder shape mines can swim like torpedo to a designated area and then sink down to seabed, waiting for target. It can swim up to make a hit when a passing target is detected.
62085_448876_656119.jpg

Last edited:
This is a TV footage of sea mine being dropped from H-6 bomber at high altitude.
View attachment 267747

This doesn't seem to be high altitude. Mines are normally laid using parachutes.

And at high altitude it won't be visible to a camera, unless the camera is on another aircraft, which I don't presume it is.

This doesn't seem to be high altitude. Mines are normally laid using parachutes.

And at high altitude it won't be visible to a camera, unless the camera is on another aircraft, which I don't presume it is.

B-52 drops naval mines from around 1000 ft. That looks like this (second part of the first image, the first is an extended range JDAM). Some mines have retarding fin, like Quickstrike, so a parachute isn't a necessity.

1301199458246961325.jpg

800px-B-52D_dropping_mine_during_Team_Spirit_1982.JPEG

JDAM-ER.
m02006120800026.jpg

Typically these are MK62 Quickstrike
Inert-mine-in-B-52-706x470.jpg

MK65 Quickstrike.
800px-thumbnail.jpg

Or MK60 CAPTOR
1024px-Mark_60_CAPTOR-DF-ST-90-11649.JPEG

These mines are not dropped from high-altitudes, though the US is working on extended ranged mines and torpedos such as HAAWC for use on P-8, which does not need to get "on-the-deck" due to a lack of a MAD system, it uses drones to counter this deficiency.
HAAWC%204%20April%202013.jpg

B-52 drops naval mines from around 1000 ft. That looks like this (second part of the first image, the first is an extended range JDAM). Some mines have retarding fin, like Quickstrike, so a parachute isn't a necessity.

1301199458246961325.jpg

800px-B-52D_dropping_mine_during_Team_Spirit_1982.JPEG

JDAM-ER.
m02006120800026.jpg

Typically these are MK62 Quickstrike
Inert-mine-in-B-52-706x470.jpg

MK65 Quickstrike.
800px-thumbnail.jpg

Or MK60 CAPTOR
1024px-Mark_60_CAPTOR-DF-ST-90-11649.JPEG

These mines are not dropped from high-altitudes, though the US is working on extended ranged mines and torpedos such as HAAWC for use on P-8, which does not need to get "on-the-deck" due to a lack of a MAD system, it uses drones to counter this deficiency.
HAAWC%204%20April%202013.jpg

Get Ready, China and Iran: American Naval Super Mines Are Coming | The National Interest

Read this.

There is a hybrid, JDAM + Quickstrike.

Matching a sea mine with a gliding wing should be no problem since China already has this technology and have them inducted in service, in FT series of gliding bombs, with maximum gliding range of 90 km. Substituting an iron bomb with a sea mine matching glider wing is not high tech.
15839206976_b67e0b2e6e_o.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom