What's new

Nations with far off tropical island overseas territories and possessions

Hamartia Antidote

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ah we all know about colonialism and how many countries became independent around the time of WW2.

However...many little strategic islands around the world are still "owned" by some great old powers.

Let's take a looky...some are real tropical paradises!

Let's start off with the UK.
British Overseas Territories - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Screen Shot 2015-08-10 at 7.07.17 PM.jpg

yeesh!!! WTF? Where to start?? I guess numerically

#2 Gibraltar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
#3 Akrotiri and Dhekelia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#4 Bermuda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#5,6,7,8,9 (in no particular order)
Anguilla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
British Virgin Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cayman Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Montserrat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Turks and Caicos Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#10 Pitcairn Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
#11 Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
#12 British Indian Ocean Territory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
#13 Falkland Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
#14 South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

those islnads have public access or settlement? mainly i think have just miltary installations.

France of course , thank you , and they test their nuclear weapons half way around the world

Britain continued...

Ascension-12-750x310.jpg

Ascension Island (has a commercial airliner airport)

420px-Jamestown_Saint_Helena_port.jpg

St Helena island (not quite tropical...seems you can only get there by small ship)

112076.jpg

Tristan da Cunha (doesn't look very tropical)

Last edited:
Britain continued...

Ascension-12-750x310.jpg

Ascension Island (has a commercial airliner airport)

420px-Jamestown_Saint_Helena_port.jpg

St Helena island (not quite tropical...seems you can only get there by small ship)

112076.jpg

Tristan da Cunha (doesn't look very tropical)

Lovely my friend. i have been to cayman islands , its simply breathtaking. The landscape and beauty is just amazing. We have a great beautiful country. :cheers:

Britain continued...

Penguins-on-the-Falkland--007.jpg

#13 Falkland Islands (not exactly tropical)

cheesemans-ecology-safaris.jpg

#14 South Georgia Island

zx6.jpg

#14 South Sandwich Islands

@mike2000 is back @Steve781 (and @waz ) you guys should go visit the above sites of yours.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next up:
Overseas departments and territories of France - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

View attachment 246069

Wow......Despite me having alot of knowledge about our overseas territories, I didnt know about south sandwich islands. Thanks for the information. I will definitely put that on on the list of my next place to visit. :yahoo::usflag:

Britain continued...

#14 South Georgia Island

zx6.jpg

@mike2000 is back @Steve781 (and @waz ) you guys should go visit the above sites of yours.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next up:
Overseas departments and territories of France - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

View attachment 246069

@Gabriel92 , watch out for this thread, les territoires d'outres meres francaise mon pote. :-) huh.......on peut aussi inclure la Françafrique? :D

Britain continued...

#14 South Georgia Island

zx6.jpg

View attachment 246069

I can visit the Falklands through my job and I have always wanted to. It's just the time.
I'll never forget back in 1982 what the Paras said, that most of the British troops didn't know anything about the Falkland Islands. As they liberated the land they came across the local population, and they were struck by the West county accents, and in their own words "these were our people".

Oh, I do love penguins!

Back
Top Bottom