What's new

NASAs James Webb telescope successfully launched and deployed into space

This is the same one who believes Honda and Toyota are the future of transportation. That says it all.

And the vast majority of cutting edge tech and innovation comes from US private industry.

Now back on topic

Well shoot me kumar for having an opinion. :-)

It seems Indian chest-beaters have now taken on American flags, though most of them don't even have citizenship. :lol:

All opinions (yes even yours) are open for deliberation at PDF.

There are reasons (informed ones) which dictate what I believe.

No need to dump on mine. If you have valid arguments then bring them forward.

I believe I'm doing my Paul Revere bit here - warning of what is about to happen to this country.

Last edited:
In the next 24 hours, entire sun shield will be deployed. Once its done than 75% of the worst case scenario concerns for successful deployment will be over.

US chest-beating is useless when you look at statistics.

The only chest beating I was doing was refuting a $799 microwave oven allegation someone casually pulled out their @ss and posted. People here just love making stuff up and in this case they had no actual knowledge of the times.

This is like when people posted in the 1930's everybody in the US was dirt poor due to the Depression. That is nonsense.

People weren't dirt poor in 2008 either and I'm sure in another 10 years people on PDF will be constantly posting how everybody in the US was starving. :rolleyes1:

Last edited:
Some scientists South Asians should be proud of.
There are 4 instruments on JWT. Kalyani was the project manager for the MIRI instrument.

KALYANI SUKHATME
Project Manager For The Mid-Infrared Instrument (MIRI)
View attachment 803508
Kalyani Sukhatme was the project manager for the Mid-Infrared Instrument or MIRI, one of the four science instruments on the James Webb Space Telescope. She works at the NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, or JPL, California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, Calif.

The daughter of two mathematics professors, Sukhatme grew up in Mumbai, India, where her interests in engineering and physics led her to her first degree - a Bachelor of Technology in engineering physics from the Indian Institute of Technology at Mumbai in 1993. At graduation, she was awarded the Institute Silver Medal for standing first in her class. She completed her masters in physics in 1995 from the University of California, Irvine or UCI. She obtained her doctorate in physics from UCI in 1997 for a thesis in low-temperature experimental physics.

NASA
Quite successful US stategy for stealing all the cream and talent from less developed countries.
Well blame goes to mostly corrupt less developed countries where there are no equal opportunities and less reward for the hard work.

The only chest beating I was doing was refuting a $799 microwave oven allegation someone casually pulled out their @ss and posted. People here just love making stuff up and in this case they had no actual knowledge of the times.

This is like when people posted in the 1930's everybody in the US was dirt poor due to the Depression. That is nonsense.

People weren't dirt poor in 2008 either and I'm sure in another 10 years people on PDF will be constantly posting how everybody in the US was starving. :rolleyes1:

I have older family members and they tell me that Big Screen TV's and Projectors were selling in the early/mid 80's for well over $4000 (in some cases double that for stuff in housings of gold plated cheap plastic). So, Microwaves (before production moved to Japan, then Korea, then China) was certainly in the range of $600 to $1000. These were stuff assembled in Tijuana by American TV and Microwave brands, and not even made in the US. You seem to have forgotten (selective amnesia) about those or being younger, never knew. It was a free-for-all for American brands which they got by a virtual oligopoly, before the onslaught of Japanese and Taiwanese products which knocked large profit margins off of these inefficient companies.

When I talk to older folks in the US, I sense a rightful anger at these US Brand companies fleecing the American consumer pushing shoddy pieces of trash (far worse than anything made in China today).

The US consumer shed no tear when brands like Zenith, Emerson, Philco, RCA and Sylvania bit the dust. They may have invented something, but it was universal US brand practice to charge double for anything they felt did not have competition which could drive down prices. You and I as consumer don't have to chest-beat or feel proud about US brands.

Nowadays you can get full-featured range topper Microwaves/exhaust fans that mount above your range that sells for $150 on sale (made in China, the magnetron tubes are still made in Korea). I have had one for five years which is still going like a Champ (knock on wood). Is that a bad thing? Getting something made in China is not bad, I have seen their factories, they have invested in automation and quality machinery where practical.

Back in the 70's some idiots in the US bad mouthed Japanese products, they do the same thing for Chinese made products now. Useless waste of time to listen to these half-educated backwoods idiots spewing half-baked theories/stories.

And get this one published yesterday,

Quite successful US stategy for stealing all the cream and talent from less developed countries.
Well blame goes to mostly corrupt less developed countries where there are no equal opportunities and less reward for the hard work.

China will follow suit soon. Only a matter of time.
Many of the Razakar genocider's and rapists found asylum in the USA.
Their children spit an endless stream of venom and bile against the country which feeds them, educates them, and offers them a life style a billion miles better then their native cesspit.

They LOOOOOVE China. They would never live there, assuming the Chinese would even let such parasites residency.
Fortunately for the Chinese they are smarter.
The only residency such dross would receive is 20 years of reeducation in a Chinese Gulag where the religious and racial fantasies would be reeducated out of them behind barbed wire and Gun towers. They would end up bending over for the Han and blowing kisses
You notice how they would sell their own family to gain US citizenship waiting in long desperate lines outside every US embassy.
Having so utterly degraded themselves in the eyes of the world they seek solace with endless perverted abuse of the country that gives and an equally perverted love for the enemies of their land.

Do tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back... :-)

And lastly, get some protein. Your brain seems to be going all haywire now, partly from protein deficiency, and partly from not getting laid.

Last edited:
So, Microwaves (before production moved to Japan, then Korea, then China) was certainly in the range of $600 to $1000. These were stuff assembled in Tijuana by American TV and Microwave brands,

I think mid-1980's is too early for Made-in-China. It's possible they were indeed made in Mexico at some point because the Japanese eventually moved much of their electronics assembly there too. It was when Sony's awesome CD players (not the portable ones) suddenly started going crappy in the late 1980's that people noticed their "Made in Mexico" stickers. I think the reason people started looking at the "Made in.." labels was because of the Sony fiasco.
sony.png

1990 Sony Trinitron TV Made in Mexico label.

As for tv's Japan already had that market by probably 1980.
1985 Sony Trinitron XBR
Certainly Sony was near #1 with their Trinitrons (we bought one in 1985ish)

1988 Mitsubishi commercial
Mitsubishi probably already had the big screen tv market in their pocket by 1985 as they had no serious competition (even from Sony as they were basically the Samsung of the day for big screens).

I have older family members and they tell me that Big Screen TV's and Projectors were selling in the early/mid 80's for well over $4000

Well you can't blame Made-in-USA for that as the US tv marketshare was already dead. Paying $4000+ for a big screen Mitsubishi tv was not unusual. You could easily spend way more than that for their top of the line models.

You seem to have forgotten (selective amnesia) about those or being younger, never knew.

Never knew what? Simple microwaves were still not $799 in the 1990's no matter where things were made or who made them...why are you dancing around that fact that he pulled that $799 out of his @ss??

LOL! Can you just say the $799 figure for the 1990's sounds wrong and stop dancing around?

It was a free-for-all for American brands which they got by a virtual oligopoly, before the onslaught of Japanese and Taiwanese products which knocked large profit margins off of these inefficient companies.

Sure..so what does this have to do with simple microwaves supposedly being $799 in the 1990's??

BTW $4000 for a Mitsubishi tv isn't exactly cheap either...nor was $1500 for a nice Sony XBR Trinitron.

When I talk to older folks in the US, I sense a rightful anger at these US Brand companies fleecing the American consumer pushing shoddy pieces of trash (far worse than anything made in China today).

oh brother...and this is relevant to the simple microwave price $799 price in the 1990's in what way?

Nowadays you can get full-featured range topper Microwaves/exhaust fans that mount above your range that sells for $150 on sale

I'm sure you can but that doesn't make the price of a simple microwave in the 1990's being $799 true...

Back in the 70's some idiots in the US bad mouthed Japanese products,

Such as??....maybe cars...because it was true..in the 1970's they were known for being rust buckets which they fixed by the 1980's...but other than that I can't think of any Japanese products that were being bad-mouthed.

And lastly, get some protein. Your brain seems to be going all haywire now, partly from protein deficiency, and partly from not getting laid.

Well aren't you the fine gentleman with the sudden uncalled for personal attacks...

Why are you so triggered about the ridiculous $799 price claim for a simple 1990's microwave? What is wrong with you?? I'm sure by the 1990's college students were sneaking them into their dorm rooms. You really think they were spending $799 for them? They don't even want to spend more than $50 for a round futon. Anybody claiming $799 was the price range for a simple microwave in the 1990's just has no concept of reality.

Maybe you need to take your own advice since you can't grasp that.

BTW even China makes items in Mexico making this whole manufacturing conversation even more silly.

hisense2.png

2015 Hisense LED TV Made in Mexico label. (Bottom right corner)

lenovo.png

Lenovo Made in Mexico label

Last edited:
I think mid-1980's is too early for Made-in-China. It's possible they were indeed made in Mexico at some point because the Japanese eventually moved much of their electronics assembly there too. It was when Sony's awesome CD players (not the portable ones) suddenly started going crappy in the late 1980's that people noticed their "Made in Mexico" stickers. I think the reason people started looking at the "Made in.." labels was because of the Sony fiasco.
View attachment 806002

As for tv's Japan already had that market by probably 1980. Certainly Sony was near #1 with their Trinitrons (we bought one in 1985ish) and Mitsubishi probably already had the big screen tv market in their pocket by 1985 as they had no serious competition (even from Sony as they were basically the Samsung of the day for big screens).

1988 Mitsubishi commercial

Well you can't blame Made-in-USA for that as the US tv marketshare was already dead. Paying $4000+ for a big screen Mitsubishi tv was not unusual. You could easily spend way more than that for their top of the line models.

Never knew what? Simple microwaves were still not $799 in the 1990's no matter where things were made or who made them...why are you dancing around that fact that he pulled that $799 out of his @ss??

LOL! Can you just say the $799 figure for the 1990's sounds wrong and stop dancing around?

Sure..so what does this have to do with simple microwaves supposedly being $799 in the 1990's??

BTW $4000 for a Mitsubishi tv isn't exactly cheap either...nor was $1500 for a nice Sony XBR Trinitron.

oh brother...and this is relevant to the simple microwave price $799 price in the 1990's in what way?

I'm sure you can but that doesn't make the price of a simple microwave in the 1990's being $799 true...

Such as??....maybe cars...because it was true..in the 1970's they were known for being rust buckets which they fixed by the 1980's...but other than that I can't think of any Japanese products that were being bad-mouthed.

Well aren't you the fine gentleman with the sudden uncalled for personal attacks...

Why are you so triggered about the ridiculous $799 price claim for a simple 1990's microwave? What is wrong with you?? I'm sure by the 1990's college students were sneaking them into their dorm rooms. You really think they were spending $799 for them? They don't even want to spend more than $50 for a round futon. Anybody claiming $799 was the price range for a simple microwave in the 1990's just has no concept of reality.

Maybe you need to take your own advice since you can't grasp that.

BTW even China makes items in Mexico making this whole manufacturing conversation even more silly.

View attachment 806010
Bottom right corner

Lenovo
View attachment 806009

Never mind, all good. You right, I wrong....

Back
Top Bottom