What's new

My ISSB Experience

nightfreakboy

New Recruit

Reaction score
As salaamu 'alaikum.

Although I might be a bit late with this but here goes nothing.

2 or 3 years back, if anyone asked me what I wanted to be, I would answer without any hesitation that I wanted to be in the armed forces. And so to make my dream a reality. I went for the initial test at AS&RC RWP. I completed my written tests, no problem (par form bharnay ki bari khawaari thi). There I met 3 of my school fellows. Now you have to understand although my father wasn't that rich but he paid every price necessary to get me good education. So he sent me to the best school in town. And almost all my friends had some backing. So I won't name these friends but let's call them X, Y and Z. Now this X person I really didn't know in school but you know when people from your school show in these kinds of situations you have to stick together. Now this guy had some kind of railways running from his family's area which was really big. And the army used that area.

Well this guy was bragging all about how he doesn't need to do anything in this test and how his paternal uncle was very close with a lot of Brigadiers and Colonels. Obviously I was naive and didn't believe him. I believed in the sanctity of the army physical test and how every person had to do them as a stepping stone. So we all gathered in front of the Race Course Park. We were around 200 guys I think. We were taken out in groups for the physical tests. I and my friend were in the last group. The moment we stood in front of the Major, the Major called out X's id number and X moved forward of the group, a big grin on his face. The Major and he talked for a few seconds and then X stood behind the Major, while the Major made all the necessary announcements, X stood back grinning and giving us the thumbs up. So when we started doing our physical tests, X was nowhere to be seen.

Naturally, all of us remaining were frustrated at this injustice. But as the physical tests went like a breeze we forgot about all that. Now Mr. Y was the son of a retired Brigadier in the technical branch. I liked him. He was just like me and him on the other hand I had been friends with for a while. We even had our ISSB center Kohat together at the same time but our residence houses were different. He and I were very much alike in our passion for Pakistan Army and other kids’ stuff like watching cartoon (Japanese anime to be specific :P). Now he and I were very very worried about the GTO task as we had no ******** idea what to do. And thus our worst fears were recognized after the initial tasks. Well we both had that one guy in our group that was hell bent on making our groups fail in every respective field. So as you can guess we didn't finish even one GTO task, except my single command task test. I was the only one to complete any kind of task. Mr. Y and me, both could manage to do only 6 of the individual obstacles.

The group discussion I ended up rounding up the debate and everyone was happy. In the case scenario the a**hole again did a blunderous job and we failed that too. Same was the case with Mr. Y too. He also had that kind of a vermin in his group. But his group didn't even finish a single task.

Now the Deputy President’s interview and the psychologist's interview were on consecutive days. So my group had the Psychologist’s interview first and Mr. Y had the Deputy's first. After the first day of interviews he and I spent an hour at most discussing the answers that we gave and admiring each other's wit. We both thought that we should do the same kind of answers as they were good and applicable. I might have misled the psychologist when she asked "Kiya aap koi aisa kaam kartay hain jis sey aap bohat sharminda hain? “ Obviously she was talking about masturbation but I answered (like I had answered in my form) "Mam main namaz regularly nahi parhta.” She was all smiling and stuff through the whole interview and didn’t ask any explicit questions. Confidence was never a problem. So the Deputy's interview came the next day after much wait I was called in. The interview went very good by my standards. I knew all the general knowledge and science questions. What I was told I lacked in was the questions relating to Islam. I did lie to him that I had represented my school at college level for volleyball, in reality I was the best guy for volleyball but we didn’t have any tournaments in our A-level years. But he was very happy. He asked me "Agar Pak fauj main tumhain accept kar lein toh bhaag toh nai jao gey? “I answered "Never, sir". And the he shook my hand and said good luck. When I came out and told the others what the Deputy had asked they were all impressed because he hadn’t asked any of them this question.

The wait on the last day was the most hurtful moment in my entire life. There I was standing in my best suit in the blazing sun as the committee decided who to be called for on the last day for reinterview. I waited for 5 hours and then when a person was called and my roll number was skipped I felt like dying. My dream had been "skipped" by the committee. But then Mr. Y's roll number was announced. The first moment I felt very jealous. But then I understood. I never stood a chance. Not alone.

How could I compete with someone who had a military background like Mr. Y? Although their might not have been any "sifarish" but I have found out having a father in the forces is like you passing half of the ISSB. Today Mr. Y is "enjoying" life at the PMA in his first semester (I hope they rag the hell out of that A hole :D) I am literally happy for my friend I don’t know where X is.
Now Mr. Z was my friend from the 5th class. His passion had been to become a mechanical engineer and work for Ferrari while mine was to work as a commissioned officer and work for my country. Now Mr. Z and I had been very close from the beginning. After I came back from ISSB he contacted me to help him out with his ISSB which was due next week. So I hauled myself to Skype and we discussed how best he could tackle the different obstacles and interviews. He too like me had no military background like me. But he had a trick up his sleeve. He had been going to a coaching academy, I don't know for how long but he had quite a practice because he wasn't interested in the GTO tasks only the different scenarios so he can work accordingly. He was mainly interested in the interviews. And surely as he predicted he got a recommendation letter and then he went for joining on 15th May. He is together with Mr. Y.

The weird thing is that today I am studying to become an aerospace engineer (almost same as mechanical engineer) and work for Ferrari if I get my grades up, while my friend is a Gentleman Cadet in PMA, who is going to work for Pakistan.
Our dreams have been exchanged?

I find that hard to believe because I will be again appearing for my second chance in the ISSB in 133rd PMA L/C. I will never give up my dream no matter what.

P.S The overall experience was memorable and worth going for.

Allah Hafiz.

There are alot of variables involved, you probably don't know the specific questions asked. The people who are doing an interview will pass you even if you answer all the questions wrong. They aren't looking for Einstein, they are looking for honest and true answers. They are looking for much more than a correct answer, they are psychologists for a reason!

As for being the son of a Army man, not true. Sure you would have some advantage because you were raised in that environment and you know the Army life, but you aren't given a advantage by ISSB.

I know the son of a Major General who failed twice at ISSB, so you aren't passed just because you are the son of an Army man.

Kid, @nightfreakboy, you are a good writer. Try to understand that @ ISSB they judge your whole state of mind and being. Be a bit enthusiastic, don't worry about the ones with "close army connections". It's true that sometimes they get through the initial phases of selection, however, trust you me, they ALWAYS fail to make it. Be focussed and open, don't try to rig-the-system, those people have dedicated their lifetimes to it, they can easily spot people who are being less-than-honest. Be yourself and try again. Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
No man. That's not what I said. What I said was "Although their might not have been any "sifarish" but I have found out having a father in the forces is like you passing half of the ISSB."

You are giving me the example of one Major General, I can give you the example of several others who's fathers were in the army and who got in the first time. Again I don't mean that only Army personnel's children go into the Army, what I mean to say is there is a big difference in perception when the candidate has a dad in the forces. People think he already has that discipline or maybe he comes from a good army officers producing family.

Yara, don't over-obsess about it. Yes, it happens. The word isn't fair, yet, still people like you also get through. Just be focussed, and IA you'll get through.

One more thing: Why in heavens you want to join the armed forces anyways? Dude, get a good education, it's a way better option! :D

No man. That's not what I said. What I said was "Although their might not have been any "sifarish" but I have found out having a father in the forces is like you passing half of the ISSB."

You are giving me the example of one Major General, I can give you the example of several others who's fathers were in the army and who got in the first time. Again I don't mean that only Army personnel's children go into the Army, what I mean to say is there is a big difference in perception when the candidate has a dad in the forces. People think he already has that discipline or maybe he comes from a good army officers producing family.

you are a very good writer, first of all I should congratulate you for writing this.
And secondly, you will realize soon (or probably have already realized), you are much better off not joining the fauj. May be you are too free spirited. :cheers:

Wishing you all the best for your second time, this time you would be more prepared, just give it your best shot and may Allah let you achieve your dream. People get biased and that's only human, but i personally believe that a nill bata nill cannot clear ISSB just on contacts, i still have faith in armed forces institutes.

@nightfreakboy ur a damn gud writer fr ur age btw why r u so obsessed wth PA , complete ur engineering degree and go work for some multinational company ! hope i'll see u around ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason he writes so well is also the reason he wants to join PA. Passion.

Best of luck, lad.

You do need to remember that organizations do not necessarily select the best people, but the people they think most relevant to their needs. A world of difference between the two.

Yes...they do get an advantage, because they are born and raised in that specific environment, and a ISSB officer might try and look out for that.

For example, when we were living in a military environment I thought the world moves like that. But then when my father got retirement, and we moved into the civilian side, there was a stark contrast. The whole outlook, discipline, organization, daily affairs etc.

So a Army brat might have an advantage due to his familiarity of the Army.

So a Army brat might have an advantage due to his familiarity of the Army.

Goes against the idea of fairness, does it not.
Although the same applies to the Airforce and navy.. and yes familiarity does have a lot to do with it.. But I guess the OP forgot that in the Army a lot matters on who you know(due to its composition)..

So getting a contract for something even if you have a substandard product as compared to another company is easy as long as you know the right people. Will that not happen in a multi-national?.. quite.. but they have realized that in a cut-throat environment.. getting the best is better than maintaining relations... Wonder when the Army will realize that...

Goes against the idea of fairness, does it not.

How so? If a person X is more able than me, then the game doesn't become unfair, it's just that he has a better skill set, due to whatever reasons. ANd I should be trying to overcome that skill deficit rather than crying around that he is more able than me or more naturally gifted.

A candidate from the far corner of Balochistan won't get asked questions such as foreign minister of UK or Capital of Zimbabwe, but if I appear for ISSB I will be because I have Islamabad on my domicile, Army PUblic school on the form and a family filled with Army officers. So that somehow evens it all up.

But we aren't living in a ideal world, so you do get discrepancies here and there. But that shouldn't be happening.

Although the same applies to the Airforce and navy.. and yes familiarity does have a lot to do with it.. But I guess the OP forgot that in the Army a lot matters on who you know(due to its composition)..

Maybe, maybe not. Can't just generalize the whole thing, I suppose you agree with me. As I said, son of Maj Gen didn't make it, I can give 3 more examples right now. But then again, some cases might be there of favoritism.

So can't put them all in the same bracket that if you have a father who was in the military, you automatically get into PMA!

This Original Poster's thread reminds me of myself, 5 years back when i was done with high school. I wanted to be a pilot, a fighter pilot. Now i know that there is no guarantee that you will become one even if you pass PAF academy and training and what not the rigors of the ISSB.

So i approached my dad and i was like dad i want to be a pilot in the PAF.

His reply:

Urdu
" Beta agar talent zaya kerna hai tau zaroor join kero''

English

"Son, if you want to waste your talent, do join"

I was like WTF!

My dad went to Petaro, and then marine academy. He had loads of friends joining the Armed Forces and many of them rose to star-level ranks. So i guess he knew.

I decided to go with my inner feeling then and to become an engineer!

Thank you all for your diverse feedback. I might have been feeling a bit down when I wrote this but now I am going to go head on for the most important test of my life. Thank you all, your advises were very helpful. :)

Back
Top Bottom