What's new

My estimates for the improved B-3 stealth bomber specifications.

Martian2

Reaction score
My comment on FoxNews in regard to the probable specifications for the B-3 stealth bomber.

US Air Force's new stealth bomber: What you need to know | Fox News

K5WXiug.jpg

wouldn't it be easy to track a stealth plane/bomber with IRST? or is difficult to see a sub-sonic plane compared to an after burning fighter?

wouldn't it be easy to track a stealth plane/bomber with IRST? or is difficult to see a sub-sonic plane compared to an after burning fighter?
IRST has a range limitation of 60 miles.

A radar can see for hundreds of miles.

By the time a B-3 detects a J-20 or J-31 with an IRST, it will be hunted down with the J-20 or J-31 supercruise (or afterburner). Thus, IRST is not useful on a subsonic bomber.

IRST has a range limitation of 60 miles.

A radar can see for hundreds of miles.

By the time a B-3 detects a J-20 or J-31 with an IRST, it will be hunted down with the J-20 or J-31 supercruise (or afterburner). Thus, IRST is not useful on a subsonic bomber.

no I am not talking about IRST on a bomber, but the IRST on the Su-30/Mig-35 type fighter trying to locate stealth aircraft.

or you could develop an reconnaissance plane solely with advance IRST sensors to locate the B-3 instead of relying on radar!!!

no I am not talking about IRST on a bomber, but the IRST on the Su-30/Mig-35 type fighter trying to locate stealth aircraft.

or you could develop an reconnaissance plane solely with advance IRST sensors to locate the B-3 instead of relying on radar!!!
Look at a map. The distances in Asia are huge. When you talk about Russia or China, we're talking about continents.

We can't use IRST to find a B-3.

The range of 60 miles is too limited. The other problem is time. How do you keep up round-the-clock surveillance? Once a war starts, the drones will be shot down.

Also, when a B-3 is flying at you head-first, its IRST signature is obscured by the aircraft itself. You can't see behind the bomber.

If you read up on the B-2, you will find that its infrared signature has been greatly minimized. The fuel is circulated to cool down the engine. There's also a hefty intake of cool outside air to blend with the exhaust. It will be challenging to find a B-3 with IRST.

Look at a map. The distances in Asia are huge. When you talk about Russia or China, we're talking about continents.

We can't use IRST to find a B-3.

The range of 60 miles is too limited. The other problem is time. How do you keep up round-the-clock surveillance? Once a war starts, the drones will be shot down.

Also, when a B-3 is flying at you head-first, its IRST signature is obscured by the aircraft itself. You can't see behind the bomber.

If you read up on the B-2, you will find that its infrared signature has been greatly minimized. The fuel is circulated to cool down the engine. There's also a hefty intake of cool outside air to blend with the exhaust. It will be challenging to find a B-3 with IRST.

I see.

Back
Top Bottom