What's new

Muslims living in the minority in Japan observe the fasting month of Ramadan

Aepsilons

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Japan
CHIBA, Japan (AP) — Yohei Matsuyama breaks his daylong Ramadan fast with chopsticks. He's seated on the floor at a narrow table with a dozen other Japanese Muslim men and boys as they eat "gyudon," a dish consisting of rice topped with beef.

These Japanese Muslims are observing the holy month of Ramadan. The dawn-to-dusk fasting, which is an exercise in self-restraint, is intended to bring the faithful closer to God.

"Praying is very important for me. Praying is more important than work," said Matsuyama, 31, who does postdoctoral research on the history of Islamic thought at Tokyo University. He lives with his wife and 8-year-old daughter, to whom he teaches Arabic. His family is all Muslim.

Shinto and Buddhism are the predominant religions of Japan. The Japan Muslim Association, of which Matsuyama is the director, puts the number of native Japanese Muslims in the country at around 10,000.

Matsuyama's interest in religion began early. In junior high school, he was influenced by the Bible and considered himself a Christian. But he changed his mind a few years later, converting to Islam at the age of 18.

"I read the basic teachings of Islam on the Internet and thought that's the ultimate religion for me. So I decided to convert," he said.

"Perhaps I was a bit different from the average Japanese," said Matsuyama, who is also known by his Muslim name, Mujahid.

"My family (was) surprised about my conversion," he said. "But my family is open-minded."

628x471.jpg

9e0b239e62cb241f7c0f6a7067001b0e_r900x493.JPEG

654-gLTsS.AuSt.55.jpeg

628x471.jpg

n00059544-r-b-001.jpg

n00070414-r-b-002.jpg

Praying - Good!
Praying more important than work?:disagree:

Amazing Japan!

@Nihonjin1051

Just make sure foreign interests would not be involved in indigenous spiritual development. Keep it local and do not allow foreign interests to control your people by building facilities for the religious and distributing propaganda pamphlets published overseas.

Keep the religion (whatever religion it is) local, indigenous and Japanese.

For you, pen pal ? The scruffy look isn't good tho, girls find it 'itchy'...specially when we kiss them with it.

No kissing ≠ :(...:mad:...:argh:

Ancient Chinese men let their beard grow :D , look at guan yu or kanu as it's pronounced in Japanese

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom