ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
More overseas students look for jobs at home
By Rong Xiaoqing Source: Global Times Published: 2017/2/16

8710eb0d-a45b-4547-8ee5-e2f6823e3f7f.jpeg

Illustration: Liu Rui/GT

Recently, I had lunch with a young Chinese student who studies at a college in New York. He is very bright and aspiring and I enjoyed our conversation. Still I felt frustrated and useless afterwards because I was not able to provide him with any good news on a question that had been bugging him lately. Graduating at the end of this year, he asked me how he could find a job in this country and fulfill his career dreams.

In recent years, international students who found a job here after graduation have had to go through a cruel lottery system to obtain their H1B working visa. And the success rates have been declining year after year because of the ever growing number of applicants. Last year, there were 233,000 applicants, and only 30 percent of them were lucky, less than half of the rate in 2013.

And it can only become worse. US President Donald Trump's executive order banning people from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the US may have been halted by the courts temporarily, but the squaring off between the administration and the judiciary won't change the overall policy direction - immigration policies in this country are tightening up and this trend will continue for at least the next few years.

The US Congress is already reviewing a bill that requires a $100,000 minimum annual salary threshold for H1B applicants. And Trump has indicated he will probably support the legislation. It is a figure that is very difficult for a young graduate to attain in their first job and a struggle for many with master's degrees. In this case, foreign students studying social sciences, a field in which starting salaries are rarely above the required amount, can kiss their visa hopes goodbye.

But, while I am sorry for my young friend, whose major in journalism is not likely to be considered as meeting a critical need in Trump's America, I know that for Chinese students in the US, the tighter visa policy will be much less devastating than 10 years ago.

Compared to the older generation of Chinese students who would kill to stay in the US after graduation, today's young people no longer consider the US as the only option. Many start to think China offers better opportunities in the longer term. According to China's Ministry of Education, there were 523,700 Chinese students who went to study in foreign countries in 2015, and 409,100 overseas Chinese students returned after graduation. The out/in ratio was 1.28:1 compared to 2.15:1 a decade ago.

Prospective Chinese employers have been quick to detect the change. In the past two years, an increasing number of Chinese companies have launched campus recruitment tours at US universities.

The past year was a particularly busy one. In March, the Beijing-based career development agency, Hongfei Global, together with Chegg Study, a Santa Clara-based educational services institute, brought several Chinese companies to the campuses of 12 California colleges to recruit Chinese students who'd like to return home to work.

In October, Haiwei Career, the career branch of the test prep school New Oriental Education & Technology Group in Beijing, together with Tencent, Lenovo and JD.com toured close to 20 universities in the US to interview prospective job applicants.

In November, Huawei and ZTE, two rival Chinese telecommunication companies launched their job fairs in American colleges. I attended the last stop of ZTE's job fair in New York, after it had already toured four colleges on the east and west coasts. The job fair, held in the Grand Hyatt in Midtown Manhattan, attracted close to 100 Chinese students studying in different schools in the city.

Zeng Li, the head of Human Resources at ZTE, said although the company has a branch in the US, all the job openings it offered during the tour were based in China. He was happy about the turnout because this was, after all, the first ZTE recruiting tour on US campuses. About 500 of the 80,000 professional employees at the company have studied overseas, Zeng told me, and its goal is to raise the proportion to at least 16,000, or 20 percent.

The students I met at the job fair all told me that the potential for growth a job offers is the most important criteria on which they will make a decision. Whether the job is based in Beijing or New York is not as important.

This is not to say that Chinese students in the US are not interested in job opportunities here any more. A few years of work experience in the US can give them better leverage when they finally land back in their home country. So far there are 328,547 Chinese students studying in the US, making China the number one source for international students here. But if the job opportunities are largely reduced by the tightening of immigration policy, I expect there will be a decline. And if that happens, it is the American economy that will suffer from the loss of those educated, hard-working and talented immigrants.

The author is a New York-based journalist.

That's mostly not beucase of these student have a better door to go thru back home, that's probably because the door are closing on them aboard.

US have tighten their EB based visa for the last 10 years plus, now quota is quite scarces, and unless you are on EB-1 or 2, (which means highly skilled and highly educated such as PhD or so), there are virtually no way you can stay in the US for just a few years to work, as there are no quota for you anyway.

Australia is even worse, the skill migration used to allow student apply directly for Permanent residence after finishing their study pre-2007. But since 2007, that privilege is gone and to score a PR in Australia, you will need a job offer, aand to get a job offer, you will need sponsorship, and to get a private sponsorship, most of the time you need to have residence, so the only way you can stay in Australia is when you have a government sponsorship, which, well. Not very great.

Singapore now needed guarantee to have overseas student to work in their coutnry, something not every company can afford.

The ground reality is that, most student would perfer to work in the west and send money home, given the salary different for entry level job for graduate. In Australia, it's A$45,000 a year, which is about A$3,500 a month, which is about 15,000 RMB a month. In the US, the mean salary for graduate is USD$37,000 a year, which is about $2,300 a months, which is about 12,000 RMB a month, and in China, the average graduate salary is about 7,000 RMB a month. But since visa is harder to get by day in the foreign land, most of the Chinese student simply went back after graduate.

There are on average 30 calls from Chinese student a day to my wife (she is an immigration lawyer) asking for a way to stay in Australia, most of the time, these people are not going to fit the current immigration scheme because they simply don't have enough point to stay. So, either they need to go on to further study (and pay more) or they will have to go home.

Shitty food outside, very few decent jobs. The salary sounds high, but considering the high living costs, nothing. I spent 2000 dollars per month for monthly living expenses when having my exchange program in Perth, way worse life than my spending 4000 yuan per month in Shanghai. More importantly, life abroad is so boring, no late night shopping, no grand shopping centre, no BBQ with beers at 2am, no safety at night in the downtown.

Shitty food outside, very few decent jobs. The salary sounds high, but considering the high living costs, nothing. I spent 2000 dollars per month for monthly living expenses when having my exchange program in Perth, way worse life than my spending 4000 yuan per month in Shanghai. More importantly, life abroad is so boring, no late night shopping, no grand shopping centre, no BBQ with beers at 2am, no safety at night in the downtown.

When you are done with your program i bet you would instantly rush back to Mainland :D

Well. Perth, what do you want with perth? You expect BBQ in 2am in Perth? You expect being yell at 2am if you do that.

I don't know how you spend your money but A$2,000 a month in Perth is quite high, even with me and my wife, before we bought our house, we only spend about $1,900 a month and WE LIVE IN SYDNEY. $320 per week for a 2 bedder Twnhouse in Glenfield (Sydney South) and about $50 per weeks in foods (usually less), $50 per week gas and about $100 a month in Utilities. So I spend about 1440 in rents, 200 for food, 200 for gas and 100 for electricity, phone, and internet a month. Which is still only $1940, and that's for 2 persons, and in Sydney.

When you are done with your program i bet you would instantly rush back to Mainland :D

Often the case. I do not know about Australia, but, in general, the West is not that attractive to live longer than what the reason that took you there require.

So, eventually, most students return after graduation. I also know entrepreneurs who returned back to Taiwan after earning nice money in the Silicon Valley.

The main and mutually supporting reason is increasing opportunities at home and decreasing opportunities abroad. For the US, I also add quality of life worsening with the decline in quality and affordable public services and rise of political neo-fascism.

Eventually, China is a land of opportunity. The accumulated knowledge and wealth in the West due to colonialism and imperialism now tend to get smaller in proportion to accumulated power in China.

Older generations will likely stay where they are as they may have taken deep roots in the time of Western glory. But now no such glory visible for most younger generations.

Finally, sense of patriotism, which accompanies tangible material success and confidence, is stronger now. Simply, we need to contribute to our homeland because we are proud of it.

Last edited:
Well. Perth, what do you want with perth? You expect BBQ in 2am in Perth? You expect being yell at 2am if you do that.

I don't know how you spend your money but A$2,000 a month in Perth is quite high, even with me and my wife, before we bought our house, we only spend about $1,900 a month and WE LIVE IN SYDNEY. $320 per week for a 2 bedder Twnhouse in Glenfield (Sydney South) and about $50 per weeks in foods (usually less), $50 per week gas and about $100 a month in Utilities. So I spend about 1440 in rents, 200 for food, 200 for gas and 100 for electricity, phone, and internet a month. Which is still only $1940, and that's for 2 persons, and in Sydney.

It means, he's rich, man :) and a big spender.

It means, he's rich, man :) and a big spender.

Well I think you have to be rich to be able to get into an exchange program.......

But man, $2,000 a month for a single? If I am alone in Sydney, I would probably not going to spend more than $800. I will rent a room for like $120-150 a week, then I will not need to pay utilities or phone or internet. Then I will probably spend $100 for food another $100 for travel..........That's only $800 max a month.....And Sydney have the highest living standard of all of the city.

You are probably looking at $500 a month for a single in Perth

Well I think you have to be rich to be able to get into an exchange program.......

But man, $2,000 a month for a single? If I am alone in Sydney, I would probably not going to spend more than $800. I will rent a room for like $120-150 a week, then I will not need to pay utilities or phone or internet. Then I will probably spend $100 for food another $100 for travel..........That's only $800 max a month.....And Sydney have the highest living standard of all of the city.

Your forgot about the luxury spending. There are a lot of it; and they cost more than we can imagine. Like eating in a luxury restaurant, have an expensive car, hold wild parties, etc. Unless Perth is a boring city without any pleasure business. There are a lot of way to waste your money.

But of course, those spending will out of reach by married couple, unless you want to be yelled by your wife.

umm, your expanses are going to be at least $1,600 a month bro. living costs are really high, food and rent compared to china.

Your forgot about the luxury spending. There are a lot of it; and they cost more than we can imagine. Like eating in a luxury restaurant, have an expensive car, hold wild parties, etc. Unless Perth is a boring city without any pleasure business. There are a lot of way to waste your money.

But of course, those spending will out of reach by married couple, unless you want to be yelled by your wife.

Well, not the partying type, but let's say I am gonna hit the club and bar every weekend, it will not go over $40 a week (given it's $7 for a scooner), now, if you buy cracks, dopes and meths and buying rounds every weekend for the ladies, then yeah, it will be different.

Perth is not that boring as @AndrewJin made out to be, well, I am assuming if you are a Chinese dude don't have much friend and don't speak many English, then yeah, as the Chinese community is quite small in Perth, compare to Melbourne or Sydney. But if you want to Part-tay and stay on overnight, there are always things you can do in the CBD.

umm, your expanses are going to be at least $1,600 a month bro. living costs are really high, food and rent compared to china.

Depends on how you lives actually, today, if I am living by myself, I can have two choices.

1.) I rent a room from local ads, which range from $100-150 a week shared accomdation, it will include everything, internet, phones, electricity, water and etc

You can look up Chinese site like Sydney Today or Local newspaper or trading post for room, Chinese tend to me cheaper, but well, crappier, local ads tend to be more expensive, but usually better accomdation

http://www.sydneytoday.com/house_rent/1651588

Or, I can rend a detached unit, or half house for around $350 and it will be a bit far say for example, I can rent this unit in Ingleburn for $360 a week

https://www.domain.com.au/rent/ingleburn-nsw-2565/?ssubs=1&sort=price-asc

Ingleburn is about 30 minutes drive to Sydney CBD. about 1 and a half hours by train.

But unless privacy is really this important to you or you have a family, you seldom rent detached or unit.

Then You also need to pay for Gas, Electricity and Water, unless you are renting a house (whole house) you don't need to pay water charge, Gas and Electricity usually around $200 per 100 days, so about 65 per month, NBN can goes as low as 49.95 per month, which mean it cost you 115 for a month for all utilities.

Then food, technically it'ss $20 per person per week, travel is about $30 per person per weeks with Opal card.

In all, if you rent a room, it will not cost you anymore than $600 rent, $80 food and $120 travel, which is about $800 a month, if you rent a home, it will cost you about $1400 rent, $100 food and $100 utilities, which is about $1600 a month. And again, Sydney is quite expensive.

The problem is, if you stay in China, you probably live off your parent, if I go back to the US and live off my Brother, then I would not have to pay rent at all (may need to helpp with some chores or buy some groceries) But I would not have fork out 600-1400 per month on rent. And Rent in China is also depending on area, It can goes up to 7000 RMB a month for a city apartment, or even more if you want to rent a home. My Family have properties in China and Hong Kong currently being rented out, the Chinese Properties is a 200 sq meter apartment in Dong Guan (Canton area) and is currently renting out for 6000 RMB, the one in Hong Kong is a 500 sq ft Apartment in Sham Shui Po, and is currently renting out for 10,000 HKD a month.

How you live in China and Australia or the US is actually up to you, you can live cheap or you can live in Luxury.

Often the case. I do not know about Australia, but, in general, the West is not that attractive to live longer than what the reason that took you there require.

So, eventually, most students return after graduation. I also know entrepreneurs who returned back to Taiwan after earning nice money in the Silicon Valley.

The main and mutually supporting reason is increasing opportunities at home and decreasing opportunities abroad. For the US, I also add quality of life worsening with the decline in quality and affordable public services and rise of political neo-fascism.

Eventually, China is a land of opportunity. The accumulated knowledge and wealth in the West due to colonialism and imperialism now tend to get smaller in proportion to accumulated power in China.

Older generations will likely stay where they are as they may have taken deep roots in the time of Western glory. But now no such glory visible for most younger generations.

Finally, sense of patriotism, which accompanies tangible material success and confidence, is stronger now. Simply, we need to contribute to our homeland because we are proud of it.
The most horrible stuff is trains.

I have tried all the train system of the biggest four cities there. Every time it felt like the train was gonna derail, very shaking and uncomfortable.

CBD department is really expensive, easily 300 dollars per week, one room. The thing is, CBD there provides very little thrill. Anyway, we have different life styles, they still live a life like nuns of 19th century.

Airports are worse than HSRs stations here, very shabby infra. The only consoling point is information is bilingual, English and Chinese.

Last edited:
OMG, drama queen

The most horrible stuff is trains.

I have tried all the train system of the biggest four cities there. Every time it felt like the train was gonna derail, very shaking and uncomfortable.

CBD department is really expensive, easily 300 dollars per week, one room. The thing is, CBD there provides very little thrill. Anyway, we have different life styles, they still live a life like nuns of 19th century.

Airports are worse than HSRs stations here, very shabby infra. The only consoling point is information is bilingual, English and Chinese.

First of all, $300 per week (or 1200 per month) is about the same as Chinese average city rent, and you are talking about CBD vs 2nd tier city in China.

I don't know when were you in Perth, but if you had "tried" train in all 4 major cities, then I would have to say you probably have not been in Sydney for the last 20 years.

And Again, I don't know when were you in perth, I was in Perth for a convention in 2014, the Airport there is top notch, and I HAVE BEEN AROUND, China, Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, UK, Germany, Sweden, Norwar, USA and Canada. Okay, I'll bite, it won't beat Big City like JFK, Hong Kong or Beijian, but to say it have "Shabby Infra", it show either you don't know what you are talking about, or you are seriously outdated.

There, is it brief enough for you?

That is the reason why 2000 dollars life there is secondary compared to life here. 6 yuan Lanzhou noodle is sold 10+ dollars there. To me that is fast food, to locals there they call it a treat. I saw family got together to eat pho on a Saturday night. What kind of low-life family in China would have their family's little treat outside at a low-end eatery which is supposed to be low-wage people's no-choice on workdays.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom