Modi invited to celebrations of 50 years of Bangladesh’s independence next year

Black_cats

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
UNB
  • Published at 06:17 pm October 18th, 2020
Vikram Kumar Doraiswami_Momen

Foreign Minister Dr AK Abdul Momen during his meeting with new Indian High Commissioner to Bangladesh Vikram Kumar Doraiswami in Dhaka on Sunday, October 18, 2020 Courtesy

Bangladesh’s victory is also India’s victory, so both countries should celebrate together, says the foreign minister

Bangladesh has invited Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to join the celebrations of the 50th anniversary of the country’s independence on March 26 next year, Foreign Minister Dr AK Abdul Momen said on Sunday.

The Indian side accepted the invitation in principle, he said.

“We want the Indian prime minister on March 26 because our victory is also India’s victory. We should celebrate it together,” Momen told reporters after his meeting with new Indian High Commissioner to Bangladesh Vikram Kumar Doraiswami in Dhaka.

Among other issues, the celebrations of 50 years of independence were discussed during the meeting, he said, adding that not only Bangladesh, India will also celebrate the occasion.

The foreign minister and the high commissioner also discussed the planned virtual meeting between Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and her Indian counterpart Modi in December.

“The meeting will take place either on December 17 or 18. They [India] wanted the meeting on December 16, but we will be very busy on that day,” said Momen.

হাই কমিশনার শ্রী বিক্রম দোরাইস্বামী আজ, ১৮ অক্টোবর ২০২০ বাংলাদেশ সরকারের মাননীয় পররাষ্ট্রমন্ত্রী ড. একেএ মোমেনের সঙ্গে...
Posted by India in Bangladesh (High Commission of India, Dhaka) on Sunday, October 18, 2020
“Particularly, the line of credit. He will be working on that. It [the implementation of LOC] should go smoothly. There is no reason why it should not be,” he said, emphasizing that the reputation should not be tarnished.

Border killing

“We discussed what you have seen in today’s newspapers. It should not be an issue at all. Skirmishes do take place. If there are you get angry. The border killing is regrettable.

Two chiefs [of Border Security Force and Border Guard Bangladesh] promised that there would be no more killings. But, it did happen,” said Momen.
“This is purely an accident. He [the Indian high commissioner] said it could not affect anything… There is sincere effort to stop such killings,” he added.

India’s Border Security Force shot a Bangladeshi youth around 4am on Sunday after he entered Indian territory near Thakurpur border in Damurhuda upazila of Chuadanga.

I don't think the coward Chaiwala will come here in any case, just a face saving diplomatic move.

Indians have been given full notice that their crap won't be tolerated any more. Look at the new Indian ambassador and his body language, even Momen seems to be demanding some tough answers.

UNB
  • Published at 06:17 pm October 18th, 2020
Vikram Kumar Doraiswami_Momen

Foreign Minister Dr AK Abdul Momen during his meeting with new Indian High Commissioner to Bangladesh Vikram Kumar Doraiswami in Dhaka on Sunday, October 18, 2020 Courtesy

Bangladesh’s victory is also India’s victory, so both countries should celebrate together, says the foreign minister

Bangladesh has invited Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to join the celebrations of the 50th anniversary of the country’s independence on March 26 next year, Foreign Minister Dr AK Abdul Momen said on Sunday.

The Indian side accepted the invitation in principle, he said.

“We want the Indian prime minister on March 26 because our victory is also India’s victory. We should celebrate it together,” Momen told reporters after his meeting with new Indian High Commissioner to Bangladesh Vikram Kumar Doraiswami in Dhaka.

Among other issues, the celebrations of 50 years of independence were discussed during the meeting, he said, adding that not only Bangladesh, India will also celebrate the occasion.

The foreign minister and the high commissioner also discussed the planned virtual meeting between Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and her Indian counterpart Modi in December.

“The meeting will take place either on December 17 or 18. They [India] wanted the meeting on December 16, but we will be very busy on that day,” said Momen.

“Particularly, the line of credit. He will be working on that. It [the implementation of LOC] should go smoothly. There is no reason why it should not be,” he said, emphasizing that the reputation should not be tarnished.

Border killing

“We discussed what you have seen in today’s newspapers. It should not be an issue at all. Skirmishes do take place. If there are you get angry. The border killing is regrettable.

Two chiefs [of Border Security Force and Border Guard Bangladesh] promised that there would be no more killings. But, it did happen,” said Momen.
“This is purely an accident. He [the Indian high commissioner] said it could not affect anything… There is sincere effort to stop such killings,” he added.

India’s Border Security Force shot a Bangladeshi youth around 4am on Sunday after he entered Indian territory near Thakurpur border in Damurhuda upazila of Chuadanga.

I think it would have been nice to invite Imran Khan, symbolism for a new beginning.
It is time we look to the future, it is important to remember those who suffered or made sacrifices, but it's also important to look towards the future, and not allow the past to rule us.

In my heart, I feel our elders would be happier knowing we have made amends. At least that's how it feels inside myself.

Although I feel the full story is more complicated, but, as a Pakistani, for our mistakes or wrongdoings in this episode of our history, I shall always feel sad and pain for those who lost their lives and those who suffered.
For whatever meaning it may hold, I offer my small heartfelt apology.

Good. Bangladesh's 25th independence anniversary celebration was graced by the likes of Nelson Mandela and Yasser Arafat and the 50th independence anniversary would be adorned by the great Modiji. Great progress!

I think it's Bangladesh internal affairs. No hard feelings for Bangladesh now.

Hasian puts herself in tough situations every time. No way in hell would Modi be welcomed by the people here. No one on the left or right likes the chaiwala

Back
Top Bottom