What's new

Moderna vaccine may be superior to Pfizer vaccine against Covid-19 Delta variant: Reports

Mista

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
NEW YORK (REUTERS) - The mRNA vaccine from Pfizer and BioNTech may be less effective than Moderna's against the Delta variant of the coronavirus, according to two reports posted on medRxiv on Sunday (Aug 8) ahead of peer review.

In a study of more than 50,000 patients in the Mayo Clinic Health System, researchers found the effectiveness of Moderna's vaccine against infection had dropped to 76 per cent last month - when the Delta variant was predominant - from 86 per cent early this year.

Over the same period, the effectiveness of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine had fallen to 42 per cent from 76 per cent, researchers said.

While both vaccines remain effective at preventing Covid-19 hospitalisation, a Moderna booster shot may be necessary soon for anyone who got the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines earlier this year, said Dr Venky Soundararajan of Massachusetts data analytics company nference, who led the Mayo study.

In a separate study, elderly nursing home residents in Ontario produced stronger immune responses - especially to worrisome variants - after the Moderna vaccine than after the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine.

The elderly may need higher vaccine doses, boosters, and other preventative measures, said Dr Anne-Claude Gingras of the Lunenfeld-Tanenbaum Research Institute in Toronto, who led the Canadian study.

When asked to comment on both research reports, a Pfizer spokesman said, "We continue to believe... a third dose booster may be needed within six to 12 months after full vaccination to maintain the highest levels of protection."

People who received their second dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine five or more months ago are more likely to test positive for Covid-19 than people who were fully vaccinated less than five months ago, new data suggest.

Researchers studied nearly 34,000 fully vaccinated adults in Israel who were tested to see if they had a breakthrough case of Covid-19.

Overall, 1.8 per cent tested positive. At all ages, the odds of testing positive were higher when the last vaccine dose was received at least 146 days earlier, the research team reported Thursday on medRxiv ahead of peer review.

Among patients older than 60, the odds of a positive test were almost three times higher when at least 146 days had passed since the second dose.

Most of the new infections were observed recently, said co-author Dr Eugene Merzon of Leumit Health Services in Israel.

"Very few patients had required hospitalisation, and it is too early to assess the severity of these new infections in terms of hospital admission, need for mechanical ventilation or mortality," he added. "We are planning to continue our research."

This means 40% from Israel study was correct. Pfizer was way weaker than expected.

In a study of more than 50,000 patients in the Mayo Clinic Health System, researchers found the effectiveness of Moderna's vaccine against infection had dropped to 76 per cent last month - when the Delta variant was predominant - from 86 per cent early this year.

Over the same period, the effectiveness of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine had fallen to 42 per cent from 76 per cent, researchers said.

My own take: this might be due to greater dosage (more than x3) and greater waiting period between doses for Moderna, which can be more conducive for the body to mount a greater immune response.

Noted that those who received the Moderna vaccine more frequently reported side effects (aches, fevers) than those who received the Pfizer vaccine, which is a sign of greater immune response. I personally also observed the same from the people around me and myself who took Moderna.

A study, conducted by the United States Centres for Disease Control and Prevention and published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in April, found that those who received the Moderna vaccine more frequently reported side effects - such as redness over the injection site, muscle aches and fevers - than those who received the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.

After the second dose, 74.8 per cent of Moderna recipients reported reactions such as fever, headache and fatigue, compared with 64.2 per cent of those who received the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.

Associate Professor Hsu Li Yang of the National University of Singapore Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health said the reasons for the difference are still unknown.

However, in terms of severe or life-threatening side effects, the two vaccines are similar and the risks are very low.

"In fact, the risk of anaphylaxis (severe allergic reaction) to the Moderna vaccine is about half or less than half of the Pfizer vaccine," he added.

Dr Ling Li Min, an infectious diseases expert from Rophi Clinic, said: "Experts conclude that both vaccines are similar and equally good when it comes to efficacy, and that side effects depend more on the person than the shot itself."

5:23

My own take: this might be due to greater dosage (more than x3) and greater waiting period between doses for Moderna, which can be more conducive for the body to mount a greater immune response.

Noted that those who received the Moderna vaccine more frequently reported side effects (aches, fevers) than those who received the Pfizer vaccine, which is a sign of greater immune response. I personally also observed the same from the people around me and myself who took Moderna.

Your explanation seems very reasonable. Got pfizer myself.

I don't think more severe side effects means more protection etc.
I don't know about other vaccines. But, me and 2 other guys(cousin+friend) took the same single dose vaccine(CanSinoBio) at the same time/place. And our side effects were different to each other.

Me:
Around 5 minutes later, my eyes felt bit blurry and I actually kinda felt that something has recently went inside my blood stream. This is kinda feeling which I usually feel when I smoke a cigarette after many hours(I'm chain smoker) usually in morning or sometimes at smokers lounge at airports. I felt like this for a minute or two and then disappeared. 2 hours later, I felt a bit dizzy and a little pain in my shoulders. It remained like this for around 15 minutes. I took a panadol and half an hour later was back to normal. Went to sleep(I got vaccinated at 9:00 pm). Woke up next morning, felt normal. Entire day, just normal. No fever, no headache, not even sore arm or shoulder pain. Same thing the next day. Basically, no side effects. I actually checked my arm whether I really got injected or not but there was no swelling, no sore arm. Then I started pinching my left arm with my index finger and finally found a spot where I was injected :D

Guy 2:
Nothing happened to him at centre, went back home, took a panadol and slept. Next day he had light fever, body aches, little headache, sore arm. He still managed to go to work and spent entire day there. Same thing the next day.

Guy 3:
Felt dizzy at vaccination centre with blurred eyes. Went to sleep, woke up in the middle of night with fever and body aches. For 2 and half days, he remained in miserable condition with sore arm, fever/headache/bodyache/shoulder pain and little bit blurry eyes which seemed to happened every other hour or so for 10-15 seconds.

Anyway, a good read:

any vaccine effectiveness report without breaking down by age groups are pretty worthless. Moderna is generally viewed as inferior to Pfizer in the US. All the reports of severe side effects really hurt it. In vaccine clinics a few months back, Moderna shots were everywhere but the more sought after pfizer shots were hard to come by. Personally, I got Pfizer and I had a pretty severe response : high fever, aches, chills, and chest pain for 3 days Moderna might have killed me.

any vaccine effectiveness report without breaking down by age groups are pretty worthless. Moderna is generally viewed as inferior to Pfizer in the US. All the reports of severe side effects really hurt it. In vaccine clinics a few months back, Moderna shots were everywhere but the more sought after pfizer shots were hard to come by. Personally, I got Pfizer and I had a pretty severe response : high fever, aches, chills, and chest pain for 3 days Moderna might have killed me.

More common (mild) side effects is one of the reasons why I personally chose to jab Moderna lol.

My colleagues who just had their 2nd jab of Pfizer told me that they were 'disappointed' they didn't experience any side effects LOL.

More common (mild) side effects is one of the reasons why I personally chose to jab Moderna lol.

My colleagues who just had their 2nd jab of Pfizer told me that they were 'disappointed' they didn't experience any side effects LOL.
Might not matter. As the virus mutate, all the first gen vaccines that was based off the original virus are going to be useless.

Pfizer and Moderna is going to be the worst because they use the virus receptors instead of everything which is the most prone to mutation. They do have a lot of antibodies but they can't identify the delta Virus properly .

Most people I have talked to say if a 3rd shot is recommended they'll go with Moderna this time.

This means 40% from Israel study was correct. Pfizer was way weaker than expected.
That’s expected. Vaccination eases efficacy with the time. So every vaccine. a bit shocking though that it sinks to that low.

Yes Moderna has a higher doses of mRNA than Pfizer.

The best vaccine is the vaccine that is available to you and within reach.

Get vaccinated people, especially Pakistanis.

Back
Top Bottom