What's new

MoD Clears Purchase Of Six More C-130Js For IAF

IND151

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
22def9-796503.jpg

Herc season. The Indian MoD's Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) yesterday cleared the purchase of six more Lockheed-Martin C-130J Super Hercules medium transports from the US under a foreign military sale. The deal is subject to final clearance by the apex Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) before a contract is signed with the US government.

The 77 Squadron birds have been in the headlines recently quite a bit for their role in Uttarakhand flood relief, and the landing at Daulat Beg Oldie, the world's highest airstrip last month.

Livefist: MoD Clears Purchase Of Six More C-130Js For IAF

The deal is subject to final clearance by the apex Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) before a contract is signed with the US government.

Hope it gets signed soon.

I wonder if anyone else is thinking what Im thinking:

The c130J could be made in India (about 100).

To do this you would have to fold the following projects:

MRTA
AVRO replacement

Just an idea. I know I will get flak for this, but consider the differences weve had with Russian and American procurement. I dont know how much India has put into MRTA design and how much it will learn.

I wonder if anyone else is thinking what Im thinking:

The c130J could be made in India (about 100).

To do this you would have to fold the following projects:

MRTA
AVRO replacement

Just an idea. I know I will get flak for this, but consider the differences weve had with Russian and American procurement. I dont know how much India has put into MRTA design and how much it will learn.
It's certainly an idea and for sure the existing LM-TATA tie up could be expanded in scope to possibly include full-blown in-house production.

However I think the MTA does bring some signifcant industerial benefits to India and LM would not be parting with much ToT.

Then the Avro replacement will bring industerial advantages in its own right as the stipulation is that the winning bidder must tie up with an Indian partner for Indian prodcition. Of course the C-130J production you propose in India under TATA offers very similar industerial benefits.

It's a case of swings and roundabouts really.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom