What's new

MoD Approves Purchase of 150 Indigenously Made Towed Howitzers

So why did a lot of countries go with the F-35 when there were still proven platforms like the F-18/16 which are relatively cheaper options. Why are countries encouraging indigenous weapons systems when they have cheaper foreign alternatives. I do agree ULH maybe marginally heavier that M777 but that is still the way to go if you wanna reduce dependency on imports.

Regarding kickbacks, yes any Indian firm can bribe but not on the scale of big fat foreign players like BAE/LM/Boeing etc. The US govt is literally run by defense and oil lobbies. Even if Indian firms bribe, at least that will help in the development of indigenous systems which can be exported in the long run.

I don't have anything against IA. I feel it's high time that the armed forces start inducting indigenous weapons systems and allocate more funds to R&D, even to private Indian firms and reduce dependency on imports. IN has done a good job so far and I hope IA & IAF will follow suit

China specific Mountain strike corps is totally outta the picture because IA scrapped it for now due to lack of funds

https://theprint.in/security/indian...e-corps-aimed-at-china-in-cold-storage/82319/

https://defenceaviationpost.com/ind...tain-strike-corps-aimed-at-china-say-reports/

F-35 are for future and not for present and they are upgrading existing F-16/F-18s to keep it flying till 2030 when F-35 will be delivered, like that, IA needs guns at present and only option is from BAE, Kalyalins ULH will take another 3-5 years to complete the testing and validation and another 2-3 years for stream line the production lines and to delivery considering induction & procedural aspects of IA & MoD with reference Dhanush and ATAGS. During that time Kalyani ULH can modify and upgrade it using input of IA with reference to M777.

Who told you IA needs only 600+ ULHs ? many of IA artillery regiments are short of guns and leave alone equipping new Corps or Divisions, it will take a decade to replace existing old equipment's, new divisions are formed not with big announcements, once minimum requirements met, manpower and equipment's are re-organised and new Corps will be formed, I believe you can understand.

with regards to kickbacks I don't think local or imported, related people will not settle below 20% of order :-) and considering restrictions and new revelations, in present condition corrupt gang will prefer INR over USD. which is good for INR & Indian companies.

Back
Top Bottom