What's new

Millions of reasons why the IPL needs to rethink priorities

I hadn't really thought about it in that way until I came across this article. Still, I don't agree with the complete piece, the writer seems to have gone overboard in his criticism and at one point even says that 'sport' is some form of a meaningless activity which I don't concur with but I accede that the IPL continuing at this stage doesn't look good. There are other economic factors that need to be taken into account though such as huge investments already made, players' salaries, contractual agreements with players, coaches, training staff, organizers, advertisers, etc and that's why the tournament is still continuing instead of being pulled off.

1. In the Indian cricket context I think we can reduce the prominence of watching and professional playing of cricket and that will drastically reduce the monies invested in it. Like I said we can make players ( and also umpires, commentators, managers etc ) employed in other professions suitable to them so that will remove from them the fear of loss of livelihood. Cricket can be turned into a part-hobby part-time profession for the players and the aforementioned people. Where ever the occasional matched are played they need not be done in dedicated stadiums but in general empty grounds like Bombay's Shivaji Park. Matches should be played with the spectators watching on TV ( this already is being done ). The current cricket stadiums should be converted to parks and exhibition centers with the former staff retained. All this will ensure livelihood for all associated with cricket. This should be done for all other sports.

2. Uncivilized public sports like boxing and MMA should be banned.

3. About your comment about the author talking about "sports being meaningless", well, most public sports which have spectators are meaningless, just like weddings which instead of being attended by five people are attended by 300 people.

No he is garbage .

Why ?

1. In the Indian cricket context I think we can reduce the prominence of watching and professional playing of cricket and that will drastically reduce the monies invested in it. Like I said we can make players ( and also umpires, commentators, managers etc ) employed in other professions suitable to them so that will remove from them the fear of loss of livelihood. Cricket can be turned into a part-hobby part-time profession for the players and the aforementioned people. Where ever the occasional matched are played they need not be done in dedicated stadiums but in general empty grounds like Bombay's Shivaji Park. Matches should be played with the spectators watching on TV ( this already is being done ). The current cricket stadiums should be converted to parks and exhibition centers with the former staff retained. All this will ensure livelihood for all associated with cricket. This should be done for all other sports.

2. Uncivilized public sports like boxing and MMA should be banned.

3. About your comment about the author talking about "sports being meaningless", well, most public sports which have spectators are meaningless, just like weddings which instead of being attended by five people are attended by 300 people.
I disagree with all the 3 points🙂

The BCCI, under the control of Jay Shah, who is Amit Shah's son (so much for BJP being against nepotism), has become an extension of the government.

The IPL went on because the government wanted to portray normalcy.

The IPL went on because the government wanted to portray normalcy.

The government should have considered the obscenity of IPL stadium lights glowing away while in the same city so many COVID-related funeral pyres were lighting up the sky. NDTV India asked this question. Did Republic, Zee News and AajTak ?

This is the same obscenity like Mukesh Ambani's 27-storey "house" in Bombay while not far will be people living on the roads or in slums ( five to a room ).

When you were absent for a long duration I thought you paid heed to the well meaning doctor's advice. But you are back to your old ways. Kutte ki doom tedhi ki tedhi rahegi.

- PRTP GWD

Why do you think Xeuss is wrong here ?

Spare a thought for people at ESPNCrinfo.

They are unimportant people propped up by Indian middle class youth who instead of having revolutionary thoughts waste their day in watching One Day cricket. This is the same as British youth watching football while getting drunk on beer or American youth watching baseball, MMA and boxing.

What is even more uncivilized is Americans gathering in crowds and paying money to watch people beating each other up in boxing and MMA matches. Uncivilized ! And I suppose this is how they don't realize the contradictoryness of bringing "democracy" to other countries by invading those countries in huge military formations.

Last edited:
Ipl needs to shut down for good. It is the reason why I stopped watching cricket. I used to be crazy about this sport but now I don't even watch world cup matches.

I'll just say that your thinking is a bit unconventional and unorthodox.

After all I am an old-fashioned commie in a country that is cappie. :D

Ipl needs to shut down for good. It is the reason why I stopped watching cricket. I used to be crazy about this sport but now I don't even watch world cup matches.

I agree that this national obsession with cricket needs to end.

Maybe T20 can stay, be the only form of cricket and be only televised instead of having stadiums.

Please read my post# 16.

Back
Top Bottom