What's new

Military aspects/usage of PAKSAT -1R.

shah1398

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Military usage of Paksat-1R

While we have started using Paksat-1R commercially but we are tight lipped on any military usage of this. Earlier it was reported that a special band has been dedicated for military usage but after that we havent heard much on what type of Mil usage we are going/gone for if any. Previous reports suggested something but didnt give any clear picture.

https://defence.pk/threads/pakistan-communication-satellite-paksat-1r-lauched-august-11-2011.124412/

http://tribune.com.pk/story/418118/celebrating-paksat-1r-pakistani-drones-a-dream-or-reality/

As the media and telecom sector are makig most of this very sattelite. So my question here is that are we really using Paksat-1R for military purposes esp comm, AWACS, TDL etc?

predator.png

If PAK Sat -1R has even the remotest of capabilities of providing a data-link to drones etc. ,then there is a great chance that our military is already using it.....
Just my two cents..

Military usage of Paksat-1R

While we have started using Paksat-1R commercially but we are tight lipped on any military usage of this. Earlier it was reported that a special band has been dedicated for military usage but after that we havent heard much on what type of Mil usage we are going/gone for if any. Previous reports suggested something but didnt give any clear picture.

https://defence.pk/threads/pakistan-communication-satellite-paksat-1r-lauched-august-11-2011.124412/

http://tribune.com.pk/story/418118/celebrating-paksat-1r-pakistani-drones-a-dream-or-reality/

As the media and telecom sector are makig most of this very sattelite. So my question here is that are we really using Paksat-1R for military purposes esp comm, AWACS, TDL etc?

There were some Pakistani subsystems installed on the satellite. If it's military, then it's probably comms.

Pakistan needs to treat SATCOM and SATNAV in the same vein as nuclear weapons. These are not just tactically useful systems, but strategically vital when considering that we are now knee-deep in network centric warfare. Over-the-horizon drone operations would be nice, but I am thinking about the importance of having command over satellite-aided guidance for our munitions. We should at least invest in a regional constellation, enough to cover Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India and the Arabian Sea.

We should at least invest in a regional constellation, enough to cover Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India and the Arabian Sea.

Any ideas about the estimated cost to develop, deploy and maintain such a system, sir?

Any ideas about the estimated cost to develop, deploy and maintain such a system, sir?
The European Galileo system (global) is costing them around $5.5bn U.S., I think if we were to think in terms of upper-limit costs in terms of a regional constellation, $2bn U.S. would be a reasonable estimate. That's substantial, but BeiDou has given us some breathing space, but we need the independence. The ideal scenario would be to see a 10 year space development program to get this network raised. Whether we can pair that with an indigenous SLV program is another story entirely, but now I am sadly just building a hope (satellite network) upon another hope (SLV).

The European Galileo system (global) is costing them around $5.5bn U.S., I think if we were to think in terms of upper-limit costs in terms of a regional constellation, $2bn U.S. would be a reasonable estimate. That's substantial, but BeiDou has given us some breathing space, but we need the independence. The ideal scenario would be to see a 10 year space development program to get this network raised. Whether we can pair that with an indigenous SLV program is another story entirely, but now I am sadly just building a hope (satellite network) upon another hope (SLV).

Hopes are a dime a dozen. These systems are expensive to develop and deploy, and they require a constant infusion of resources and money to keep them going.

Guess Pakistan needs atleast 4-5 satellites to cover the whole region of Pak- India and Afghanistan.

That's why Chinese made anti Satellite Missiles and US already has it

one of the biggest costs to building a satellite network is getting them into space. If SpaceX can deliver on lowering the cost of launching it's rockets from $60 million to let's say $20-$30 million in the next 5 years. Pakistan could use the Falcon 9 to launch it's commercial/military satellites.

I believe the Longmarch 3B costs $70 million and the Ariane 5 like $90 million....so that's a great bargain.

and the Falcon 9 can launch two satellites at a time as well like Ariane 5

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/03/spacex-falcon-9-debut-dual-satellite-mission/

Last edited:
one of the biggest costs to building a satellite network is getting them into space. If SpaceX can deliver on lowering the cost of launching it's rockets from $60 million to let's say $20-$30 million in the next 5 years. Pakistan could use the Falcon 9 to launch it's commercial/military satellites.

I believe the Longmarch 3B costs $70 million and the Ariane 5 like $90 million....so that's a great bargain.

and the Falcon 9 can launch two satellites at a time as well like Ariane 5

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/03/spacex-falcon-9-debut-dual-satellite-mission/
I was thinking about that. The rise of re-usable rockets and private space transport firms could make setting up a regional constellation a feasible venture. I think the main bottleneck would be regulatory hurdles in the U.S., which may demand that SpaceX et. al not deliver military-use systems to space for other countries.

There were rumors that Pakistan is working on SLV of its own. Is there any development in program.
Any hope to have our own SLV in near future?

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom