What's new

Micromax tablets beat out Apple, Samsung for the first time in India

Reaction score
Country
India
New data has shown that Micromax is the market leader of India’s tablet market which has witnessed a surge in sales mainly due to the entry of new tablet vendors as well as the introduction of offerings from existing vendors at low to medium price points.

Micromax was followed by Samsung and Apple respectively.

MicromaxFunbookInfinity.jpg

India’s overall tablet market recorded sales of 0.55 million units in 2Q 2012 (Quarter ended June 30, 2012). Micromax leads with an 18.4 percent share, followed by Samsung at second position with 13.3 percent and Apple at third position with 12.3 percent, in terms of sales (unit shipments) during the second quarter of 2012.

A statement on behalf of CyberMedia said although India’s tablets market was still at a nascent stage, it had become competitive due to the entry of new vendors with entry level offerings. The data showed that as of the second quarter of 2012, close to 90 vendors launched new tablets into the market, and the average price of a tablet had dropped to a little above Rs 13,000 from Rs 26,000 in 1Q 2012, as a majority of vendors in early 2012 launched their products in the Rs 5,000-10,000 price range.

Faisal Kawoosa, Lead Analyst, CMR Telecoms Practice said, “During 2Q 2012, 47.4 percent of tablet sales were from new entrants in the market with a strong focus on addressing application areas in the Education and Entertainment segments. This trend demonstrates clearly that vendors are positioning their devices at India’s youth.”

Some of the key trends in terms of specifications of media tablets in India noted in 2Q 2012 are in the table below.

Screen-shot-2012-10-08-at-5.22.20-PM.png

“As Android devices become increasingly popular with users across the world, competition is increasing in the India Tablets market with more and more vendors launching devices based on the Android OS. The share of devices based on other operating systems like Windows, iOS and QNX are expected to rise in future in view of the recent announcement of the Microsoft Windows Surface Tablet, the global launch of the Apple iPad 3 and reduction in BlackBerry Playbook prices,” Kawoosa added.

“Going forward we see vendors launching segments specific segments such as Healthcare, Retail and e-Governance. In terms of tablet use cases, the popular categories are Internet browsing, Email, Entertainment, Gaming, Social Networking, Information (Cricket, Flights etc). Clearly, the Indian user is also taking to the tablet as a content consumption device,” added Tarun Pathak, analyst, CMR Telecoms Practice.

Micromax tablets beat out Apple, Samsung in India | Firstpost

So Finally Indian manufacturers have come of age in mobile technology after all these years :) Now they must concentrate on outside markets :)

yep Micromax tablet is really good n a true value for money thing...

My cousin recently bought one just for Rs.6,000 n its got good graphics, wifi, 1 or 1.2 GHz processor, usb, HDMI port n what not...

Even i m planning to bought one:D

I brought my mum A micromax last month fr less than 7000 inr a wonderful starter tablet and she loves it.
1ghz arm ,with an adreno 205 really a great value fr money product.

yep Micromax tablet is really good n a true value for money thing...

My cousin recently bought one just for Rs.6,000 n its got good graphics, wifi, 1 or 1.2 GHz processor, usb, HDMI port n what not...

Even i m planning to bought one:D

Initially i thot MicroMaxx is not that good, but it have proved me wrong !! :D
It is expected to gain more market share (including me ) :P

I have heard few of the main drawbacks of micromax tablets is that most of them if not all lack bluetooth, GPS and rear camera

I have heard few of the main drawbacks of micromax tablets is that most of them if not all lack bluetooth and GPS

For the price offered by them, i believe its competitve at the cost offered by them...
GPS is a costly affair... U may need to dish out more for GPS maybe... I have got to research more on MicroMaxx oly from now on :)

Micromax is a Gurgaon based Indian company whose products are full value for money .
The new Micromax A100 share the similar configuration as Galaxy note and here's the best part it just costs Rs.10,000 :woot:
Hail micromax !!

Micromax is really coming up with good products.. I recently bought a 3g Wifi router for Rs 2300 only..

Connect 5 devices using any 3G sim card..

Indians are smart and not giving into the hype created by the big brands!

The million dollar question: How long will a Micromax tablet last before it dies a natural death? :rolleyes:

Micromax is a Gurgaon based Indian company whose products are full value for money .
The new Micromax A100 share the similar configuration as Galaxy note and here's the best part it just costs Rs.10,000 :woot:
Hail micromax !!

but still you would be really lucky to operate any of your micromax/karbonn/spice devices without any hardware related errors in first 8-10 months

but still you would be really lucky to operate any of your micromax/karbonn/spice devices without any hardware related errors in first 8-10 months

That is true, but the quality is improving.. they might wanna shift the production to India, quality will improve automatically :P

That is true, but the quality is improving.. they might wanna shift the production to India, quality will improve automatically :P

Micromaxx have shown a tremendous increase in quality after the production started in India with its own R&D..
2 years ago, i never looked at Maxx even as mobile... But it have shown tremendous improvements...
It cannot be a market leader if its quality is poor....
But other Indian brands such as Karbonn, spice, celkon are yet to improve... They are improving..

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom