What's new

MHA set to acquire more helicopters, aircraft

Soumya_india

Reaction score
Driven by the pressing needs of the country’s internal security, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) is set to “ strengthen” its “air-wing” by acquiring more utility helicopters and aircraft.

The ministry, which has to deal with multiple tasks of internal security and border management, does not have “a structured air wing”. But the rapidly changing security environment including threats from the Left-wing extremists, flash terror strikes and border intrusions during peace time have forced it “to spread out its wings.”

Sources in the MHA told Deccan Herald that the proposal for expansion of the air fleet has been approved which would cater to the needs of air attack, surveillance and transport requirement of all the para-military forces.

The Border Security Forces (BSF) and Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) have been guarding Indo-Pakistan, Indo-Ban*gladesh and Indo-China borders respectively with Ce*n*tral Reserve Police force engaged in the internal security job.

Sources said the ITBP has mainly asked for “the lift helicopters” as the force is largely operating in the hilly terrains on Chinese borders.

The CRPF and BSF have sought additional fixed-winged aircrafts. A similar demand has been made by National Security Guards (NSG), the elite anti-terrorist strike force in the country, to make quick moves.

“ITBP needs more attack helicopters than the force. It requires six lift helicopters B -17 helicopters as the it operates in the mountain regions,” said a top official of the force.

The CRPF has listed its need for small helicopters for transport.

MHA set to acquire more helicopters, aircraft

Thats a great move. I think MHA should place an order for 100 Mi17, 200 Dhruvs, 300 LUH and 30 LCH.

^^^^ second that, also would like to see the NSG given a few dedicated commercial ac to transport them across the country. Not to mention to be used in training purposes. I know the NSG have a mock-up of a civil airliner that they train on for anti-hijack training but I don't know if they get to practice on actual (real) airliners.

yes, thats a great decision of MHA, to get those air-crafts for it paramilitry.

^^^
I haven't included fixed wing aircrafts but i don't think what i wrote is an unreasonable list. These choppers can be used by state police, CRPF, ITBP, BSF, NSG, CISF, RR, Assam Rifles etc...

^^^
What would the said agencies do with the light COMBAT helicopter? Fire ATGMs? LCH is for anti armour duties, to decimate enemy tanks and infantry. Police forces will not operate them.

Thats a great move. I think MHA should place an order for 100 Mi17, 200 Dhruvs, 300 LUH and 30 LCH.

Sirji , when IAF only operates 300 Helis then how can the Paramilitary forces order 630 Helis

Indian Airforce , Army and Navy together operate some 660 Helis , While coast guard operate another 40 Helis
While CRPF , BSF , ITBP , SSB TOGETHER operate 80-100 Helis under MHA ,
What the Home ministry should do is order 50 Mi17v5 , 100 LUH , and increase the Number of Dhruvs from 25 to 100 with a few of them being armed

Cool list but I can't see implantation for another 12 years at least.

But don't think the LCH- a dedicated attack helo, is appropriate for the MHA at all. Possibly have a few ALH's be the WSI spec.

^^^
What would the said agencies do with the light COMBAT helicopter? Fire ATGMs? LCH is for anti armour duties, to decimate enemy tanks and infantry. Police forces will not operate them.
ITBP is asking attack choppers, why not extend it to BSF ??? There use in anti-naxal operation and by RR and Assam Rifles in case of a big encounters and when ultras are pinned down in remote areas far away from any civilian or property damage like in forests this can be used making sure the speedy completion of operation without any loss of personnel and civilian life.
I think LCH can be used alot in anti-naxal operations because most of the time naxals operates in groups of thousands and they surround the CRPF from all sides and by the time reinforcement arrives everyone is dead but if LCH is inducted and if CRPF personnel start carrying smoke grenades and gps a proper location of naxalites can be given and at that time aerial support can do wonders while we wait for reinforcements....I mean we only have technology on our side, everything else is against CRPF and BSF in naxal areas and we should use it to win...

^^^

ITBP is asking attack choppers, why not extend it to BSF ??? There use in anti-naxal operation and by RR and Assam Rifles in case of a big encounters and when ultras are pinned down in remote areas far away from any civilian or property damage like in forests this can be used making sure the speedy completion of operation without any loss of personnel and civilian life.
I think LCH can be used alot in anti-naxal operations because most of the time naxals operates in groups of thousands and they surround the CRPF from all sides and by the time reinforcement arrives everyone is dead but if LCH is inducted and if CRPF personnel start carrying smoke grenades and gps a proper location of naxalites can be given and at that time aerial support can do wonders while we wait for reinforcements....I mean we only have technology on our side, everything else is against CRPF and BSF in naxal areas and we should use it to win...

I don't think MHA would ever get the clearance from the GoI. The MHA is for domestic operations exclusively hence all their operations are carried out against INDIAN citizens, use of air power is a definite no no in these cases. We can see by the reluctance of GoI to deploy armed helos, and the even greater reluctance of IAF, that there s no great call for such measures. Hence why give MHA LCH? India has a strong stance on human rights and I can't see these helos ever being allowed to operate in MHA ops by GoI. However like I said a few WSI ALHs should be perfect, able to act as a utility helo in AOs and if needed be able to defend themselves.

I don't think MHA would ever get the clearance from the GoI.
MHA might not get permission for use of a light attack chopper in naxal areas because of political reasons but MHA can use light attack choppers for border patrolling by BSF and ITBP

^^^

Even in such a scenario, an armed dhruv (Rudra) would suffice. I only questioned the inclusion of the LCH in the list. (I don't think for a moment that the wishlist would come true, but thats a different point.) The dhruv can also be used for carrying small teams of troops to the target area, or medevac during a battle like the scene you hypothesised, or in general for ferrying passengers and material. Why use the dedicated armed version of it, sacrificing the capabilities that CRPF would need, for no other benefits? I mean, I can't imagine anything that the LCH could do that the Dhruv can't, but I can think of plenty of the reverse, for the CRPF. The army and air force being a different matter.

Also, I can't see anything more than guns being fired by helis operated by CRPF and other police forces. And even if rockets have to be fired, the Rudra could do it, couldn't it? Why bring in a heavily armoured LCH with electronic warfare features and other fancy stuff to battle maoists, who are not going to have the ability to engage them in any manner, and have nothing more sophisticated than assault rifles?

Back
Top Bottom