What's new

Members Interview: Jhungary

@jhungary Can a foreigner join US Air Force or USMC?

Foreigner (with a foreign passport) can join USAF or USMC if he or she holds a Permanent Residence Card (Green Card), or was sponsored by the US Military (Very much like a H-1B visa process) but US Military only ever sponsor allies personnel (like in the UK or Australia) and usually have prior Military Experience..

However, since the person is a foreigner, jobs are limited to those do not need clearance, and cannot be a commission officer (all commission officer are US Citizens)

Foreigner (with a foreign passport) can join USAF or USMC if he or she holds a Permanent Residence Card (Green Card), or was sponsored by the US Military (Very much like a H-1B visa process) but US Military only ever sponsor allies personnel (like in the UK or Australia) and usually have prior Military Experience..

However, since the person is a foreigner, jobs are limited to those do not need clearance, and cannot be a commission officer (all commission officer are US Citizens)
I've heard lots of stories where people with student VISA join the military. Which branch is that? Army?

I've heard lots of stories where people with student VISA join the military. Which branch is that? Army?

Not aware of any program you can join with a Student visa.....

There are a thing called "Selective Service" which is in place for draft that would require anyone, I mean anyone, citizens, permanent resident, non-permanent resident or even illegal alien, to register. And if the draft was called, then you basically will be drafted to be a lowest level foot soldier.

I cannot imagine what kind of job in the military people can do without Permanent Residence, as all require a certain degree of clearance, even if you are allowed to join, you would most likely ended up as a cannon fodder...

Not aware of any program you can join with a Student visa.....

There are a thing called "Selective Service" which is in place for draft that would require anyone, I mean anyone, citizens, permanent resident, non-permanent resident or even illegal alien, to register. And if the draft was called, then you basically will be drafted to be a lowest level foot soldier.

I cannot imagine what kind of job in the military people can do without Permanent Residence, as all require a certain degree of clearance, even if you are allowed to join, you would most likely ended up as a cannon fodder...
You should have something like french foreign legion. More troops, better capabilities, more opportunities to spread democracy.

You should have something like french foreign legion. More troops, better capabilities, more opportunities to spread democracy.

Well, we used to have something like that in the past war, but since the Army gone professional, we don't do this anymore. Recruiting foreigner is more like a European thing when you get the British Army recruit non British commonwealth citizen into the army and the French have the French Foreign Legion. I think this is a bit more to Colonial Thing, when they allow foreigner into their rank.

Well, we used to have something like that in the past war, but since the Army gone professional, we don't do this anymore. Recruiting foreigner is more like a European thing when you get the British Army recruit non British commonwealth citizen into the army and the French have the French Foreign Legion. I think this is a bit more to Colonial Thing, when they allow foreigner into their rank.
I actually didn't know that there is a special condition for commonwealth citizens. Maybe just for Gurkhas? I did Royal Air For cadeting for a while and I gave up because I joined too late and because of that my opportunities were limited. I thought there was no point and back then I had no interest in military whatsoever and it was also a huge risk to give up studying in my situation. I regret that stupid decision now. Maybe I will give it a try again if I can join as a Sri Lankan citizen. Military seems like the mother of all adventures.

I actually didn't know that there is a special condition for commonwealth citizens. Maybe just for Gurkhas? I did Royal Air For cadeting for a while and I gave up because I joined too late and because of that my opportunities were limited. I thought there was no point and back then I had no interest in military whatsoever and it was also a huge risk to give up studying in my situation. I regret that stupid decision now. Maybe I will give it a try again if I can join as a Sri Lankan citizen. Military seems like the mother of all adventures.

I think commonwealth citizen can join all branch of British military, as I recall, there were an Australian from Sydney was killed serving the British Army. Not too sure if you can do it now because what I hear is that the British Army is downsizing now, many of the British went to French Foreign Legion....

Back
Top Bottom