What's new

Medium-term roadmap projects 7pc growth

farhan_9909

PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
KARACHI: Finance Minister Ishaq Dar on Friday said that the economy has registered a turnaround indicated by the key economic indicators.

The minister was speaking at the Exports Trophy Awards ceremony of Karachi Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KCCI), attended by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.

He said that almost every indicator from GDP to inflation, agriculture to industry, from imports to exports, from remittances to foreign inflows, from exchange rate stability to interest rate, fiscal deficit to revenues and from reserves to public debt shows improvement.

Highlighting the government’s medium-term economic roadmap, the minister said: “Our medium-term three-year (2014-17) aim is to raise the GDP growth gradually to around 6 to 7pc, investment/GDP to 20pc, tax/GDP to 13pc and foreign exchange reserves to around $20bn. Also, we aim to bring fiscal deficit down to 4pc of GDP and public debt to below 60pc of GDP as per statutory requirement.”

He said the confidence of the people of Pakistan has been revived and it is bringing about a remarkable economic turnaround.

He mentioned challenges and said: “Our resolve to work harder has been strengthened to achieve our objectives”.

Elaborating on PML-N government plans he talked about a comprehensive plan for building foreign exchange reserves from current $9.37 billion to over $16bn by December 31, 2014.

Under the tax incentives, the finance minister said non-filers of tax returns as well as dormant NTN holders can avail concessions by April 30, 2014 while for investment scheme, commercial operation date has been fixed on or before June 30, 2016 to avail incentives under the Prime Minister’s package for industrial growth.

The government has also published, in terms of the provisions of Section 216(6) of the Income Tax Ordinance, 2001, a tax directory on Feb 15, 2014 containing names, NTN and tax paid by all the parliamentarians.

In the second phase a tax directory of all taxpayers in the country will be published, he said.

Dar said that efforts were underway to disinvest, in a transparent manner, shares of certain banks and PSEs in the stock market.

He said Pakistan has been ranked second in the world in terms of business growth in a survey conducted by the Japan External Trade Organisation (Jetro).

Former Goldman Sachs economist Jim O’Neill, famous for coining the term BRIC, coined another term MINT identifying top investment destinations in the coming years. He has also forecast that Pakistan would become world’s 18th largest economy by 2050 (from its present 44th position).

The awards cover all major products. He underlined the need for value-addition, for identifying new exportable products and to explore non-traditional markets. There is also a need to take full advantage of the recent grant of GSP Plus status to Pakistan.—APP

Medium-term roadmap projects 7pc growth - DAWN.COM

KARACHI: Finance Minister Ishaq Dar on Friday said that the economy has registered a turnaround indicated by the key economic indicators.
Highlighting the government’s medium-term economic roadmap, the minister said: “Our medium-term three-year (2014-17) aim is to raise the GDP growth gradually to around 6 to 7pc, investment/GDP to 20pc, tax/GDP to 13pc and foreign exchange reserves to around $20bn. Also, we aim to bring fiscal deficit down to 4pc of GDP and public debt to below 60pc of GDP as per statutory requirement.”

He said Pakistan has been ranked second in the world in terms of business growth in a survey conducted by the Japan External Trade Organisation (Jetro).

Former Goldman Sachs economist Jim O’Neill, famous for coining the term BRIC, coined another term MINT identifying top investment destinations in the coming years. He has also forecast that Pakistan would become world’s 18th largest economy by 2050 (from its present 44th position).

HUH....go back to a few year ago (or a long time ago) and find my posts. I had openly debated with many Indian members that I predicted that Pakistan was going to be in the top 15-18 economies by 2030-2040!!! Feels GREAT to know that I was right.
Now the Pakistanis need to stay put, create a more educated labor force, religious tolerance, Western tolerance (don't hate the US for everything :) ), get rid of these talibastards and their terrorism and grow the country. I'd like to see Pakistan's foreign exchange to grow to 100 Billion by 2030. That's actually not an unachievable number. Good luck.

HUH....go back to a few year ago (or a long time ago) and find my posts. I had openly debated with many Indian members that I predicted that Pakistan was going to be in the top 15-18 economies by 2030-2040!!! Feels GREAT to know that I was right.
Now the Pakistanis need to stay put, create a more educated labor force, religious tolerance, Western tolerance (don't hate the US for everything :) ), get rid of these talibastards and their terrorism and grow the country. I'd like to see Pakistan's foreign exchange to grow to 100 Billion by 2030. That's actually not an unachievable number. Good luck.
I doubt it.
Once US leaves Afghanistan, Pakistan would get back to the comfortable routine of using terrorists to create disturbances in India and elsewhere.
That would come back to trouble Pakistan again. There is no willingness to break the old mindset.

18th Largest GDP by 2050 is a matter of shame.

Beside this,These prediction are based of IMF and WB 2010 World economies growth rate prediction for which upto 2020,2.1% is considered as average for Pakistan.While we already has clocked 5% this year and 4.2% Last year

If you remember IMF old prediction of Pakistan GDP to reach 250Billion dollars by 2018,Even themselves has changed it.As per their Prediction i remember Pakistan was to reach 230Billion dollars by 2015.And now they have edited 236Billion dollars for 2012.

This year Pakistan GDP in PKR term will expand to 28.7Trillion out of existing 26.4Trillion.Which means by the June End our GDP in Dollars terms will be

28.7Trillion pkr=292Billion dollars.

Pakistan was suppose to reach 292Billion dollars by 2020.

Meanwhile Growth is picking up,Inflation down,Industrial output is getting to record high as was under musharaf while Export has witnessed 18% Growth rate.

The Only thing still i am not impressed from is FDI.Which ofcourse is related to security condition and will only increase in long term.

As per My last calculation,If the Pakistani GDP increase's as it is now,We will reach 500Billion dollars by the time this Govt leave.And remember that with only 7% Average growth rate india reached 1trillion dollars from 550Billion dollars in only 4-5years(2002-3 to 2007)

So Pakistan can easily reach 5trillion dollars GDP by 2050 without any problem,We need to fix only minor economical error's and the bigger security threats.With this Growth rate Pakistan also will reach 1trillion dollar GDP by 2023-24

The Only thing still i am not impressed from is FDI.Which ofcourse is related to security condition and will only increase in long term.

As per My last calculation,If the Pakistani GDP increase's as it is now,We will reach 500Billion dollars by the time this Govt leave.And remember that with only 7% Average growth rate india reached 1trillion dollars from 550Billion dollars in only 4-5years(2002-3 to 2007)

So Pakistan can easily reach 5trillion dollars GDP by 2050 without any problem,We need to fix only minor economical error's and the bigger security threats.With this Growth rate Pakistan also will reach 1trillion dollar GDP by 2023-24

Pakistan's GDP should be around 800billionUS$ in 2014 but unfortunately it is just 264billionUS$.

And i agree 18th largest even in 2050...that is double shame as Pakistan is 6th most populated country.

Beside this,These prediction are based of IMF and WB 2010 World economies growth rate prediction for which upto 2020,2.1% is considered as average for Pakistan.While we already has clocked 5% this year and 4.2% Last year

If you remember IMF old prediction of Pakistan GDP to reach 250Billion dollars by 2018,Even themselves has changed it.As per their Prediction i remember Pakistan was to reach 230Billion dollars by 2015.And now they have edited 236Billion dollars for 2012.

This year Pakistan GDP in PKR term will expand to 28.7Trillion out of existing 26.4Trillion.Which means by the June End our GDP in Dollars terms will be

28.7Trillion pkr=292Billion dollars.

Pakistan was suppose to reach 292Billion dollars by 2020.

Meanwhile Growth is picking up,Inflation down,Industrial output is getting to record high as was under musharaf while Export has witnessed 18% Growth rate.

From the article it seem biggest challenge will be tax/GDP to 13pc. Lets say Pak GDP will be $350 billion in 3 years, which is in worst case scenario. Tax revenue will need to be $45 billion, more then double the current $20 billion.

I doubt it.
Once US leaves Afghanistan, Pakistan would get back to the comfortable routine of using terrorists to create disturbances in India and elsewhere.
That would come back to trouble Pakistan again. There is no willingness to break the old mindset.
India already has its own collection of disturbances. The way forward for Pakistan is to become economically and diplomatically vibrant. The dividends will follow automatically.

He mentioned challenges and said: “Our resolve to work harder has been strengthened to achieve our objectives”.
Elaborating on PML-N government plans he talked about a comprehensive plan for building foreign exchange reserves from current $9.37 billion to over $16bn by December 31, 2014.
Let me add up expected inflows
1- 1.5 Billion USD more in PDF
2- 2.5 Billion USD in 3G/4G auction
3-1 Billion USD from IMF
4- Around 500 Million in CSF
that makes around 5.5 Billion. This means that for reserves to reach 16 Billion 3~4 Billion inflows would also have been accounted for....

Last edited:
Let me add up expected inflows
1- 1.5 Billion USD more in PDF
2- 2.5 Billion USD in 3G/4G auction
3-1 Billion USD from IMF
4- Around 500 Million in CSF
that makes around 5.5 Billion. This means that for reserves to reach 16 Billion 3~4 Billion inflows would also have been accounted for....

Also the $800 MIllion from Etisalat

Also the $800 MIllion from Etisalat
Oh yes that too. But the issues hasn't still been resolved since the ongoing litigation on some of the disputed properties is a headwind.

Back
Top Bottom