What's new

Maoists derail train in India, 80 dead

To tell you truth I have been quite successful in my rigorous attempts to bring the matter of Naxal/Maoists and Nukes into limelight. Indians always run away from the reality but can you answer me about the recent incidents of uranium theft inside India??? may be you will become dead silent

WMD Insights

iSamaa - : Indian Nuclear Assets Posing Threat To The Environment - My Voice, My perspective

Good attempt, I think the heat should always be on the government to take action.
You have a genuine concern, Sir.
I think it should be looked into even if our apprehensions are wrong.
The world has all the reasons to be alarmed, just as it is alarmed at the rising of Taliban.

There was a list India recently updated and issued declaring many groups as terrorist groups. are Maoists in the list???
Janaji, I highly doubt this, as we have a strong Left oriented political parties who have a soft corner for them.
You will have to read how communism came into existence to really have a better understanding of their ideology.
I remember seeing a great movie "Dr Zhivago", if you have the time please see it. It is possible at that time communism had some relevance but not any more, and certainly not the violent path.
SO THEY ARE TERRORISTS

Janaji, I highly doubt this, as we have a strong Left oriented political parties who have a soft corner for them.
You will have to read how communism came into existence to really have a better understanding of their ideology.
I remember seeing a great movie "Dr Zhivago", if you have the time please see it. It is possible at that time communism had some relevance but not any more, and certainly not the violent path.
SO THEY ARE TERRORISTS

CPI is indeed in the list of terrorist organisations of banned outfits which India recently issued. I am asking if Maoists are in the list?

CPI is indeed in the list of terrorist organisations of banned outfits which India recently issued. I am asking if Maoists are in the list?

a little mistake.................banned one is CPI(moaists).............not CPI

CPI is a political party:pop::pop:

Indian government prepares to escalate war against Maoists after train attack

Indian government forces are preparing to escalate their war against Maoist guerillas after a bomb attack on an express sleeper train left 79 passengers dead
The attack on the Calcutta-Mumbai Gyaneshwari Express in West Bengal and the scale of civilian casualties caused shock throughout India where it was denounced as a "terrorist attack on the masses" the Maoists claim to represent.

The change of mood intensified pressure on the Indian government to take decisive action against the insurgents.

That pressure increased further on Saturday as rescue workers highlighted the human tragedies caused by the explosion. The Times of India reported how seven year old twin girls Sharmin and Shirin Alam, had died in each other's arms in their railway sleeper bed where they had been travelling on their first ever holiday. Their teachers said they had been unable to contain their excitement at the prospect of a train trip to Mumbai.

Their parents had also died in the explosion, which derailed 13 carriages and hurled several into the path on an on-coming goods train. More than 200 were injured in the explosion and collision.

The attack follows a series of brutal attacks on India's security forces.

More than 20 troops of the Eastern Frontier Rifles were killed in February, 76 members of the Central Reserve Police Force were killed in an ambush in Chhattisgarh last month, while earlier this month the Maoists killed 44 in a landmine explosion which targeted special police officers.

All these attacks were focused on paramilitary personnel deployed as part of 'Operation Green Hunt,' the government's campaign to flush Maoist insurgents from their jungle strongholds.

Ministers however have been paralysed by indecision over their response.

Some fear overwhelming force and the use of air power could backfire and increase Maoist popularity among the rural poor and tribals in India's eastern states. The government's home minister P Chidambaram has offered their leaders a ceasefire to allow talks to go ahead, but the Maoists rejected his offer.

The Maoist or 'Naxalite' rebellion began in 1967 in support of a peasant uprising over land reform in Naxalbari, West Bengal. It has now spread to Chhattisgarh, Orissa, Jharkhand, and Madhya Pradesh and they are regarded a powerful force in one-third of India's 624 districts and India's greatest internal security challenge, according to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.

More recently the Maoists have won new support from poor lower caste farm labourers and tribals displaced by government-backed mining operations and new steel and aluminium plants.

India's home minister met army chiefs on Friday to agree a new approach, while the chief minister of West Bengal Budhadeb Bhattarcharjee declared an all-out war against the insurgents and vowed they would be defeated.

"The Maoists have done this. The operation against them will be intensified and all-out efforts will be made to free the state and country from this danger," he said.

Former Indian intelligence officer, security analyst B Raman, said this latest tragedy in which civilians were targeted highlighted a new Maoists' strategy which called for a new government response.

"They have become indifferent fears of public aversion to their acts are no longer a restraining factor on their activities. When the jihadis developed a similar indifference some years ago, we were faced with an increase in their attacks on soft targets. We could face a similar increase in Maoist attacks on soft targets in rural areas and small towns," he warned.

He said the government must now target and "neutralise" the Maoist leadership while addressing the genuine grievances of the rural poor and tribals they represent.

Indian government prepares to escalate war against Maoists after train attack - Telegraph

@ Prometheus
Thanks for pointing out. Surprisingly many Indian members have this confusion. I wonder whether they live in India or not.

CPI, CPI(M) are mainstream political parties and have significant presence in WB, Tripura and Kerala. Infact CPI(M) lead coalition have the record of being in government in WB for three decades. The maoists we are talking about is denoted as CPI (Maoists)

RIP the innocent souls.
I wonder why the Indian Govt is not acting decisively against them? They can be easily tackled by applying proper force. Is it only because these terrorists have not targeted Govt officials but only helpless civilians?
The fear of civilian casualties has prevented the Govt of India from taking help of Indian Army or Indian Airforce. Even the Helicopters of IAF which are sent for relief works are not allowed to do releliatory firing when they are fired upon by the Maoists. Now it is evedent that CRPF (Central Reserve Police Force) or different State Police Forces which have no training in Jungle warfare can not handle the situation, and, Maoists have started targetting the civilians , I hope GOI will rethink its stance.

1. Fear of High number of casualties

That's a mistake many people make about India. Regardless of what things may seem like, India has been ravaged by war for decades. We've had an insurgency in Kashmir for 20 years, another 30 or so years in the North East, about 30 years for the Maoists, around 15 for the Khalistan movement.

India isn't afraid of guns or casualties, we've deployed something like 75,000-100,000 paramilitaries and another 10,000 BSF and ITBP are due.

2. Exposure of IM's weakness in COIN ops

How'd you come up with that nonsense? We've been fighting insurgencies (many of them sponsored by Pakistan) for decades, you think Pakistan has experience just because you've been fighting the Taliban for a few years?

3. Fear of backfire from Naxals in the form of destruction of
Government infrastructure and targeting innocent civilians.

So how would not killing them help? Unlike Pakistan, we won't negotiate with the maoists until they lay down their arms. They're already killing soldiers and now civilians, for everything they destroy the noose will only get tighter.

4. Possible uprising of other declared terrorist orgs which might benefit from such an operation against naxals as its both costly in terms of time,assets and money

I mean the operation is already pretty huge, so maybe I guess.

GOI has looked carefully of how its neighbor(Pakistan) has been affected by such COIN ops(against taliban)

India and Pakistan are two very different countries. There is simply no comparison here.

and its reluctant to go against naxals as such a move might render there Hard earned Political gains useless and the opposition forces might exploit it for there benefit.

Thankfully that's something that doesn't happen in India. The Naxals don't have powerful connections, nor are they heavily armed. We don't have sympathizers on the scale that Pakistan does.

GOI is probably waiting for a staunch opposition from all sides for not acting against Naxals and once a National consensus(which is still absent now) has been established with all the forces on board the GOI will eventually fight the Naxals..!

Once again, you're comparing the situation to your own. A national consensus already exists, however many feel that taking a heavy handed approach is either unnecessary or counter productive. The argument here isn't about whether or not to strike at the Naxals, its about how hard.

Of course we have a tiny tiny minority of jokers (wh...s) like Arundhati Roy, people who have no idea what they're talking about. They bark about change and romanticize the naxals but then don't spell out the direction the country ought to be headed in. They complain about democracy and use its protections to peddle their BS. They complain about under development and then accuse the government of genocide when we try to urbanize the population.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom