What's new

Manoj Bhargava, richest Indian in US commits 90% earnings to charity

jbond197

Reaction score
Country
India
Manoj Bhargava, richest Indian in US commits 90% earnings to charity

NEW DELHI: Manoj Bhargava, probably the wealthiest Indian in the US ahead of venture capitalist Vinod Khosla, doesn't believe in governments and formal education and was virtually unknown till about a month ago.

"I only had training in common sense," the 58-year-old Princeton University dropout, who came into the limelight after debuting in the Forbes list of billionnaires this year, told ET in an exclusive interview at Taj Mansingh hotel in Delhi.

Meet the founder of '5-Hour Energy'-a 2-ounce energy drink in a red and yellow bottle, which controls 90% of the US energy-shot market with retail sales estimated at $1 billion. This in just eight years after 5-Hour's launch in 2003.

Ask him about his biggest challenge and Bhargava says, "The biggest challenge is always the governments - they try to stop all good things. I try to stay away from them as much as I can, as I know if someone can destroy something good, it's the government!" He sounds like a rebel, but Bhargava is closer to a monk.

In fact, he says he spent 12 years of his life shuffling between monasteries in India and learning to still his mind. He still spends an hour everyday in contemplative silence.

And he is known for his frugal lifestyle and humble behaviour. Dressed in a simple kurta-pajama, Bhargava lives up to this reputation.

He thinks businesses in India give too much importance to education and mostly hire from top institutions. "It's like hiring theoretical plumbers! None of us are too impressed by MBAs," he says.

Bhargava says he abides by Mark Twain's quote: "I never let my schooling get in the way of my education."

He says 90% of what he earns will go into doing charity in India. "I have made a lot of money in the West...(and) I do not believe in much of personal consumption," he says. He has set up a non-profit organisation, Hans Foundation, for charity work.

May spend Rs 5k crore on charity in 10 years

He says the foundation funded more than 400 charity projects including some big ones like Kamala Nehru Memorial Hospital for cancer treatment to the poor.

"Next ten years we would probably do about Rs 5,000 crore in charity," he says.

Yet, he plays tough in business. His privately-held firm Living Essentials, which makes 5-Hour, is known to diligently sue every copycat brand trying to get into the energy-shot market.

Living Essentials, which is owned by Innovation Ventures, another privately-held company, does not report its financials, but media reports have estimated that it grossed more than $600 million and netted some $300 million last year.

Born in Lucknow in 1953, Bhargava relocated to America in 1967 when his father decided to pursue a PhD at Wharton. The family, which was well off in India, had a tough time in the US. So Bhargava started doing odd jobs and businesses in his teens. He excelled in mathematics and joined Princeton, only to quit after one year when he decided to follow his 'own way' of education.

In 1974 he moved to India and spent most of the next 12 year in monasteries of Hanslok ashram.

Bhargava returned to the US for good to help his father with his plastics business. He bought several small, struggling outlets and turned them around, before finally selling his Indiana PVC business to a private equity firm.

He got the idea for 5-Hour Energy at a natural products trade show where he tried a 16-ounce drink that promised to enhance productivity. He found it amazing and he made a mental note of its ingredients.

Six months later he came out with his own version-two ounces of caffeine and B vitamins-because he did not want to compete with Red Bull and Monster and fight for a space in the refrigerator. Despite its small size, Bhargava priced 5-Hour at $3 a bottle, even though he was advised against it, and slowly convinced retailers to stock it at their cash registers.

Bhargava says human nature plays a huge role in shaping one's business. So what does he want to do next in business ? Bhargava says he has four ambitious projects in the pipeline including a catalyst-based project to reduce diesel consumption, reduction in desalination costs and a medical project.

And he believes his biggest advantage is his love for his job. "I go to office and run like hell-running means I do stuff because I love doing it," says Bhargava. "This is my basketball, football, my entertainment. I love it!"

Good Man, indeed!! Such people projects the good image of us Indians where ever they go!! All my good wishes are with him!!

I lost fsith in hypocrite philanthropists. Years ago azim premjee told he will contribute 2 bill usd for education. what he did?

he open a college and started business.Education is best business in india. ppl will pay anything for hood college.

bloody hypocrites.

Such people projects the good image of us Indians where ever they go!!

He has lived in the US since 1967, made his fortune in America and will give 90% of his money to India.

Are you sure you want this "image" of Indians to be publicized?

He has lived in the US since 1967, made his fortune in America and will give 90% of his money to India.

Bill Gates also donates lots in Asia and Africa so is he wrong too?

In my opinion, it is his wish where he wants to donate.. He is not doing anything illegal so why exactly we should not publicize it.. He has not stolen anybodies empire or looted some one.. His hard earned money and it is his choice how he spends it and I am proud he decided to help poor..

Anyways, what ever he is doing is positive so yes I want such "image" of Indians to be publicized as much as possible..

That is called being 'Indian'.

And anyway he did not live off the chaarity of Americans. He put his hard work,capital and created jobs for the Americans. Sure this is the role model.

Bill Gates donates lots in Asia and Africa.. More over it is his wish where he wants to donate.. He is not doing anything illegal so why exactly we should not publicize it.. He has not stolen anybodies empire or looted some one.. His hard earned money and it is his choice how he spends it..

Anyways, what ever he is doing is positive and yes I want such "image" of Indians to be publicized..

Actually, since his charitable donation will spend 90% of his pre-tax earnings, he is transferring his American taxes to India.

He is very much stealing from the American taxpayer and giving the money to India. It is legal, but very immoral and I seriously doubt he would want that information publicized widely in America.

Actually, since his charitable donation will spend 90% of his pre-tax earnings, he is transferring his American taxes to India.

He is very much stealing from the American taxpayer and giving the money to India. It is legal, but very immoral and I seriously doubt he would want that information publicized widely in America.

Oh, Wow!! and how exactly you reached this conclusion.. He is running businesses in America and he must be much more aware than you and me about how important it is file taxes.. So unless you are is CA and are well aware of his balance sheets, please don't place baseless allegations on him..

Accusing him of stealing tax payers money just because he is donating in India, is plain stupid nothing else..

Anyways, please spare this charitable deed of a good human being from the vicious cycle of our hatred. Now can we??

Oh, Wow!! and how exactly you reached this conclusion.. He is running businesses in America and he must be much more aware than you and me about how important it is file taxes.. So unless you are is CA and are well aware of his balance sheets, please don't place baseless allegations on him..

Accusing him of stealing tax payers money just because he is donating in India, is plain stupid nothing else..

It is stated in plain English; I suggest you read it.

If you don't understand how earnings, charity and taxes work, I suggest you ask an accountant or a friend.

Bottom line: he is making money off American consumers and siphoning 90% of the taxes/profits to India instead of America.

P.S. Net earnings = Gross earnings - expenses = Profits + taxes

It is stated in plain English; I suggest you read it.

If you don't understand how earnings, charity and taxes work, I suggest you ask an accountant or a friend.

Bottom line: he is making money off American consumers and siphoning 90% of the taxes/profits to India instead of America.

Believe whatever you want to believe.. For you, every Indian is an H1B cheater who don't pay taxes in America and siphon of all their earnings to India.. Now since you have chosen to live in delusions so there is nothing I can do to help you..

IRS is not filled with stupids as far as I know..

Believe whatever you want to believe.. For you, every Indian is an H1B cheater who don't pay taxes in America and siphon of all their earnings to India.. Now since you have chosen to live in delusions so there is nothing I can do to help you..

IRS is not filled with stupids as far as I know..

So, the usual diatribe of "hatred", "delusions", "stupids", eh?

But nothing to refute the fact that this man, who has lived in America since 1967 and makes his fortune there, prefers to pay 90% of his tax money (and profits) to India rather than America.

So, the usual diatribe of "hatred", "delusions", "stupids", eh?

But nothing to refute the fact that this man, who has lived in America since 1967 and makes his fortune there, prefers to pay 90% of his tax money (and profits) to India rather than America.

90% of what he earns is post tax income. Now tell me that how you reached the conclusion that it was pre-taxed. He is one of the biggest player in his segments, the competitors will tear him apart if he is as stupid as you think he is..

But anyways, there is a reason he is at top and none of the geniuses of PDF will ever see those heights..

Man, I don't understand why you are not able to digest the news and trying run him down.. Do you really think it is so easy to avoid taxes in US? Seriously man, I can only tell you one thing - Grow up..

90% of what he earns is post tax income. Now tell me that how you reached the conclusion that it was pre-taxed. He is one of the biggest player in his segments, the competitors will tear him apart if he is as stupid as you think he is..

Uh no, genius.

If he was spending post-tax money, he would not need to set up "non-profit organisation, Hans Foundation, for charity work."

The only reason people set up non-profit organizations is to spend pre-tax money.

Absolutely. Blood is always thicker than any other tie my friend.

He is giving away HIS OWN PERSONAL fortune.

A fortune that could not have been made in the land of opportunity without making a whole lot more for the nation and the people he made it in.

If he made money, his share holders made a lot more. American share holders.

If he made money in the US, he also contributed to the American economy, was a cog in the wheel that made the US the power it is today, paid his taxes, and provided employment and livelihoods to many American families.

So what exactly is your problem if he gives back HIS share of all that to the country and the people that made him what he is and to which he and his ancestry owe a debt of gratitude that goes back centuries.

What is 1967?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom