What's new

Man providing cheap electricity in his town

Not as good as copper, and its own fair share of problems.
For one, it is not as inert as copper, and its mechanical properties also makes copper preferable.
Read this:
https://www.geindustrial.com/sites/geis/files/gallery/White paper - Aluminum vs. copper 5-08.pdf
http://static.schneider-electric.us/docs/Electrical Distribution/Low Voltage Transformers/Energy Efficient-NEMA TP1/7400PD9601.pdf
hmmm ...can you summarize i read the 1st paper but kinda skimmed through only and didnt understand 2-3 terminologies...

So basically Aluminium wires will not carry much load? but there was a false for this: Aluminum-wound transformers have higher losses X because copper is a better conductor

Choosing between aluminum or copper transformer windings comes down to
personal preference. The premium price for copper often requires purchase
justification, but these arguments have been refuted in this bulletin. In truth,
industry experience simply does not support any of the commonly stated reasons
for choosing copper over aluminum. Aluminum-wound low voltage
transformers will probably continue to gain increased acceptance because of their
significant cost advantage over copper.

hmmm ...can you summarize i read the 1st paper but kinda skimmed through only and didnt understand 2-3 terminologies...

So basically Aluminium wires will not carry much load? but there was a false for this: Aluminum-wound transformers have higher losses X because copper is a better conductor

I will highlight the differences:
Aluminium expands nearly one third more than copper under changing temperatures, and is very ductile. That means aluminium wires would have higher change of length than copper between various seasons.

Copper has much better thermal conductivity than aluminium. Hot spot formation is reduced.

Aluminium's electrical conductivity is about 60% of copper. You need thicker aluminium wires for same conductivity as copper.

Both copper and aluminum are prone to oxidation or other chemical changes when exposed to the atmosphere. The problem is that aluminum oxide is a very good insulator, whereas copper oxide is not so bad. Besides, aluminium oxidises more readily than copper.

This are theoretical arguments though. There might be some practical difficulties with copper, which are reduced by using aluminium.

I will highlight the differences:
Aluminium expands nearly one third more than copper under changing temperatures, and is very ductile. That means aluminium wires would have higher change of length than copper between various seasons.

Copper has much better thermal conductivity than aluminium. Hot spot formation is reduced.

Aluminium's electrical conductivity is about 60% of copper. You need thicker aluminium wires for same conductivity as copper.

Both copper and aluminum are prone to oxidation or other chemical changes when exposed to the atmosphere. The problem is that aluminum oxide is a very good insulator, whereas copper oxide is not so bad. Besides, aluminium oxidises more readily than copper.

This are theoretical arguments though. There might be some practical difficulties with copper, which are reduced by using aluminium.
i see! thanks :enjoy: @Abu Nasar and there is introduction to conductivity 101...Never liked Physics always found a way to dream with my eyes open :P

Don't tell that to Jungi, I think he loves physics!
Hope he is not patrolling...

No Marshmallow
lolz

How come you not like physics, physics is the best subject there can be!

PS: Are you Talon?
:)

cant say...will let you decide ;)

@Kloitra I prefer Biology I understand it way better and dont require as much effort as getting through nuclear fission and nuclear fusion and then there is this whole jargon of E=MC2 and then there is this Current, voltage and god knows whatelse mess :cray: had horrible teachers in high school and then had to drop it in A-Levels coz my teacher was telling tales of when he was young instead of teaching us the stupid subject!

Last edited:
cant say...will let you decide ;)

@Kloitra I prefer Biology I understand it way better and dont require as much effort as getting through nuclear fission and nuclear fusion and then there is this whole jargon of E=MC2 and then there is this Current, voltage and god knows whatelse mess :cray: had horrible teachers in high school and then had to drop it in A-Levels coz my teacher was telling tales of when he was young instead of teaching us the stupid subject!

I think the same about bio - god knows how I managed to pass the exams.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom