Making Diesel from Thar coal

Safriz

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
[LAHORE] Pakistan is pushing ahead with a controversial plan to
produce synthetic diesel through underground gasification of its vast
coal deposits in the Thar desert in Sindh province. The Thar Underground Coal Gasification (Thar UCG) project had hung in
balance for 14 months following criticism led by Abdul Qadeer Khan,
nuclear scientist and Shahid Sattar, member of the Pakistan Planning
Commission (PPC). But in August, the project received close to US$10
million from the government as a green signal. "It's a pity that the funds were withheld for 14 months and released
on the intervention of the prime minister of Pakistan," Thar UCG head
and PPC member for science and technology, Samar Mubarakmand,
told SciDev.Net. "We will be in a position to produce diesel from coal
within months, using the Fischer-Tropsch method,” he said. The Fischer-Tropsch process converts into liquid hydrocarbons a
mixture of carbon monoxide and hydrogen derived from coal, natural
gas or biomass feedstock. The Thar project will use lignite, a form of
coal and a fossil fuel. Mubarakmand estimates that the cost of producing one barrel of diesel
from Thar coal would be US$40. While this is higher than the US$25
South Africa spends on producing diesel from coal and the US$28 by
China, Pakistan imports diesel at up to US$120 a barrel. Pakistan need not worry about technology transfer costs, Mubarakmand said. "We are planning to enter into joint ventures with
international partners. They have done their costing which covers this
aspect." Criticism of the UCG project by Khan and some coal technology experts
has centred on the alleged failure by Mubarakmand to convincingly
demonstrate his claims of being able to produce cheap energy from Thar lignite. Shahid Munir, director of the Centre for Coal Technology, University of
the Punjab, Lahore, told SciDev.Net that there should be an
independent feasibility study of the project by an internationally
reputed agency to settle the controversy. Arshad Abbasi, an advisor on energy at the Sustainable Development
Policy Institute, Islamabad, told SciDev.Net that the project may not be
viable because of Thar lignite’s low calorific value and high vapour
content. But, according to Mubarakmand, the low calorific value would be offset
by the large deposits of lignite – an estimated 175 billion tonnes
spread over 9,000 square kilometres.

[LAHORE] Pakistan is pushing ahead with a controversial plan to
produce synthetic diesel through underground gasification of its vast
coal deposits in the Thar desert in Sindh province. The Thar Underground Coal Gasification (Thar UCG) project had hung in
balance for 14 months following criticism led by Abdul Qadeer Khan,
nuclear scientist and Shahid Sattar, member of the Pakistan Planning
Commission (PPC). But in August, the project received close to US$10
million from the government as a green signal. "It's a pity that the funds were withheld for 14 months and released
on the intervention of the prime minister of Pakistan," Thar UCG head
and PPC member for science and technology, Samar Mubarakmand,
told SciDev.Net. "We will be in a position to produce diesel from coal
within months, using the Fischer-Tropsch method,” he said. The Fischer-Tropsch process converts into liquid hydrocarbons a
mixture of carbon monoxide and hydrogen derived from coal, natural
gas or biomass feedstock. The Thar project will use lignite, a form of
coal and a fossil fuel. Mubarakmand estimates that the cost of producing one barrel of diesel
from Thar coal would be US$40. While this is higher than the US$25
South Africa spends on producing diesel from coal and the US$28 by
China, Pakistan imports diesel at up to US$120 a barrel. Pakistan need not worry about technology transfer costs, Mubarakmand said. "We are planning to enter into joint ventures with
international partners. They have done their costing which covers this
aspect." Criticism of the UCG project by Khan and some coal technology experts
has centred on the alleged failure by Mubarakmand to convincingly
demonstrate his claims of being able to produce cheap energy from Thar lignite. Shahid Munir, director of the Centre for Coal Technology, University of
the Punjab, Lahore, told SciDev.Net that there should be an
independent feasibility study of the project by an internationally
reputed agency to settle the controversy. Arshad Abbasi, an advisor on energy at the Sustainable Development
Policy Institute, Islamabad, told SciDev.Net that the project may not be
viable because of Thar lignite’s low calorific value and high vapour
content. But, according to Mubarakmand, the low calorific value would be offset
by the large deposits of lignite – an estimated 175 billion tonnes
spread over 9,000 square kilometres.

While Fischer- Tropsch synthesis has been used successfully by the Germans in WW2 and currently in South Africa. There is no doubt that UCG is a new technology and thus prospect of failure cannot be ruled out.

No country has ever progressed scientifically until such time that her scientists were not afraid to embark on new and innovative ventures. I have discussed this with quite a few Pakistani friends and each one has only one reply “Show us where UCG is being used on a large scale”.

My view is that Pakistan cannot always rely on tried and tested methods which we later purchase from a third party. It is about time that we do something that is particular suited to our needs and even if we succeed partially or fail altogether; the experience and the technical knowhow gained in the process would be enough compensation. That is the only way to go for any country to achieve scientific progress.

I for one support this venture wholeheartedly. By the way I think the allocation is $100-million.

The quality of the coal plus the logistical issues will very likely make the F-T process non-feasible, just like the UCG project. Thar coal is a mirage.

249486_429754220415919_1320914300_n.jpg

The Vice-Chancellor is spouting BS, plain and simple.

How come? On what basis do you say that?

Of all the real leaders of this world, I m not talking about India or China here, which country had been afraid of doing experiments and scared of failure? This is how new technologies are evolved and this is how nations get ascendancy in the world order.

It might be a technology which is not feasible but still worth trying. otherwise we will keep arguing and country's energy woes will aggravate.

Pakistan can only progress if its energy sources are local or home grown. It cant import energy and dream about prosperity. Energy security is a must just like food security.

How come? On what basis do you say that?

Of all the real leaders of this world, I m not talking about India or China here, which country had been afraid of doing experiments and scared of failure? This is how new technologies are evolved and this is how nations get ascendancy in the world order.

It might be a technology which is not feasible but still worth trying. otherwise we will keep arguing and country's energy woes will aggravate.

Pakistan can only progress if its energy sources are local or home grown. It cant import energy and dream about prosperity. Energy security is a must just like food security.

Do you realize what "not feasible" means?

If it is not feasible, as you admit, then chasing it is futile.

Well what is wrong in trying it?

Indulging in Alchemy is now considered a wild goose chase but that is how we got the field of chemistry :agree:

And not advocating "to try" this no matter how futile, makes you sound like issuing a scientific fatwa

Indulging in Alchemy is now considered a wild goose chase but that is how we got the field of chemistry :agree:

And not advocating "to try" this matter how futile makes you sound like issuing a scientific fatwa

he is being a true Pakistani, Gora said cant do it and we dont even try
sell it to Gora, he will do it....lol

Of all the real leaders of this world, I m not talking about India or China here, which country had been afraid of doing experiments and scared of failure?.
Tell me you don't mean what I am getting from this statement. Kindly elaborate. Sorry for my lack of comprehension skills.

The Vice-Chancellor is spouting BS, plain and simple.

True ! if converting coal into diesel is so simple and economical ,then do you think India and China are fools who are importing 80% of crude oil despite sitting on vast reserves of coals ?

Why don't you burn that coal and produce electricity ?

And not advocating "to try" this no matter how futile, makes you sound like issuing a scientific fatwa

Please do go ahead. Good Luck.

What's your take on gas hydrates in sea floor. India has huge reserves and I am pretty certain that Pakistan also have gas hydrates. ?

In US, the technology development for exploiting this reserve is being developed by. Also by Indias.

I think investing in a technology which is more feasible according to need of the hour.

What's your take on gas hydrates in sea floor. India has huge reserves and I am pretty certain that Pakistan also have gas hydrates. ?

In US, the technology development for exploiting this reserve is being developed by. Also by Indias.

I think investing in a technology which is more feasible according to need of the hour.

Methane and other hydrates are another hydrocarbon fuel resource and the technology to exploit them is still not fully developed. As the cost of conventional fuels starts to climb due to demand, it will shift more and more attention to them in due course. Right now it would not be cost effective, but this might change over the next few decades.

Back
Top Bottom