What's new

Make in India: L&T outguns global rivals to bag Rs 5,000-crore Indian Army deal

Bang Galore

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: India is finally set to get its own mobile howitzers that will reverse the longheld Pakistani battlefield edge on artillery guns.

The guns Pakistan have were supplied by the US ostensibly for the 'war on terror'. In a deal that would also fit the 'Make in India' mandate, domestic manufacturer Larsen and Toubro has emerged as the finalist for a $750-million (about Rs 5,000 crore) contract to supply 100 self-propelled artillery guns to the Indian Army.

The 155 mm artillery guns are specially designed for operation in the desert areas bordering Pakistan and have been a longstanding requirement of the Army, officials said. India's concerns over Pakistan acquiring an edge in conventional warfare escalated in 2009 when the US supplied it 115 of the modern M 109A5 cannons as a "reward" for its assistance in the war on the Afghanistan border.

The Army had then accelerated its plans to procure a similar system, but the process dragged on for many years, with the defence ministry finally taking a call on the winner last week. Sources told ET that the K9 VAJRA-T howitzer, pitched by L&T in partnership with Samsung, has been shortlisted for the contract.

Once signed — the final process could take another six months — the Vajra could be the first new artillery gun to be produced in India since the 1980s when the Bofors was acquired. A parallel effort to procure M777 ultra-light howitzers from the US is under progress.
untitled-1.jpg.jpg

The Vajra will be produced at L&T's Pune facility and could be considered for exports in the future, along with an expected followon order for more guns for the Army.

The victory is especially sweet for L&T as it was competing in the global category, which was open to all arms vendors around the world.

The Vajra beat its Russian competitor on several technical grounds, including rate of fire, accuracy and mobility trials, officials said. L&T officials, however, refused to comment on the development.

India's artillery modernisation plans have been stuck since the 1980s after the Bofors kickbacks scandal. Not a single new modern system has been purchased since, seriously limiting the Army's battlefield edge.

Self-propelled guns are vital for their "shoot and scoot" ability as well as a high flexibility of deployment in the battlefield.

While Pakistan managed to procure the American systems in 2009, India's plans for similar systems have been stuck since 1999, with several failed rounds at identifying a gun.

Make in India: L&T outguns global rivals to bag Rs 5,000-crore Indian Army deal - The Economic Times

NEW DELHI: India is finally set to get its own mobile howitzers that will reverse the longheld Pakistani battlefield edge on artillery guns.

The guns Pakistan have were supplied by the US ostensibly for the 'war on terror'. In a deal that would also fit the 'Make in India' mandate, domestic manufacturer Larsen and Toubro has emerged as the finalist for a $750-million (about Rs 5,000 crore) contract to supply 100 self-propelled artillery guns to the Indian Army.

The 155 mm artillery guns are specially designed for operation in the desert areas bordering Pakistan and have been a longstanding requirement of the Army, officials said. India's concerns over Pakistan acquiring an edge in conventional warfare escalated in 2009 when the US supplied it 115 of the modern M 109A5 cannons as a "reward" for its assistance in the war on the Afghanistan border.

The Army had then accelerated its plans to procure a similar system, but the process dragged on for many years, with the defence ministry finally taking a call on the winner last week. Sources told ET that the K9 VAJRA-T howitzer, pitched by L&T in partnership with Samsung, has been shortlisted for the contract.

Once signed — the final process could take another six months — the Vajra could be the first new artillery gun to be produced in India since the 1980s when the Bofors was acquired. A parallel effort to procure M777 ultra-light howitzers from the US is under progress.
untitled-1.jpg.jpg

The Vajra will be produced at L&T's Pune facility and could be considered for exports in the future, along with an expected followon order for more guns for the Army.

The victory is especially sweet for L&T as it was competing in the global category, which was open to all arms vendors around the world.

The Vajra beat its Russian competitor on several technical grounds, including rate of fire, accuracy and mobility trials, officials said. L&T officials, however, refused to comment on the development.

India's artillery modernisation plans have been stuck since the 1980s after the Bofors kickbacks scandal. Not a single new modern system has been purchased since, seriously limiting the Army's battlefield edge.

Self-propelled guns are vital for their "shoot and scoot" ability as well as a high flexibility of deployment in the battlefield.

While Pakistan managed to procure the American systems in 2009, India's plans for similar systems have been stuck since 1999, with several failed rounds at identifying a gun.

Make in India: L&T outguns global rivals to bag Rs 5,000-crore Indian Army deal - The Economic Times

Delivery Time-frames?

Is this complete ToT to LnT or a Brahmos kind of a deal?

any idea of the Re-Supply vehicle?

untitled-1.jpg.jpg

Delivery Time-frames?

Is this complete ToT to LnT or a Brahmos kind of a deal?
It looks like a Joint produced K9- thunder made by Samsung, Similar to the turkish - t155 Firtina

155mm/ 52 Cal Tracked Self Propelled (SP) Gun
The K9 VAJRA-T 155mm/ 52 Cal. Tracked Self-Propelled Howitzer meets the requirements of 21st century warfare, which is based on the following missions: Deep fire support with its longer firing range; qualitative superiority to overcome a numerical inferiority with its higher rate of fire and accuracy and effective and reliable fire support in all kinds of circumstances with its higher mobility and protection.

The K9 VAJRA-T is a variant of K9 Thunder which is inarguably the world's best 155mm/52 Cal.SPH in terms of number of systems in active service. Currently, K9 Thunder is serving as one of the main conventional deterrent forces for a number of armies including the Korean Army. K9 Thunder has established its superiority through demonstrations and evaluation tests at various proving grounds in extreme weather conditions, jungles, barren deserts and severely cold areas. By demonstrating its ability to handle Indian as well as all NATO standard ammunitions, K9 VAJRA-T has proven its excellent conformability to any field artillery unit.

Land Artillery Systems | Heavy Engineering | L&T India

We definitely needs more of these .:bunny:

Well, Dhanush is the first, but this would be an awesome second!!:thinktank:

This isnt just the K9, but also another armored assembly line managed by a private firm.:mps:

Manufacturing Facilities | Heavy Engineering | L&T India

Talegaon+LR.jpg

Talegaon India L&T

I dont know if they have a dedicated space for this already, but this is the area where they'll produce it. This is certainly their first big armor integration order, as the lead integrator.

Not yet, Have not set up a line. Soon it will set up a complex.
Well, Dhanush is the first, but this would be an awesome second!!:thinktank:

This isnt just the K9, but also another armored assembly line managed by a private firm.:mps:

Manufacturing Facilities | Heavy Engineering | L&T India

Talegaon+LR.jpg

Talegaon India L&T

I dont know if they have a dedicated space for this already, but this is the area where they'll produce it. This is certainly their first big armor integration order, as the lead integrator.

@Water Car Engineer off topic, any news on the missile boats for IN sent out RFI's on?

I also just heard the initial news, that's it.
I was bored at work and loking at INS kochi specs, looking into the Frigates and destroyers of IN, I was in awe of the offensive firepower these puppy's have, shivalik and Talwar class are almost destroyers, got me thinking about the kamorts hull platform being used as 8x2 Brahmos UVLM with small 32 cell Shtil module and retaining the 533mm torp tube would compliment the Missile boat Idea pretty well. Could even match Talwar class Destros. Or even an saryu class OPV with 8 cell UVLM and a 16 cell Shtil.

We are going to deploy it in our rajastan areas,Does it have NBC protection? I mean Pakistan having a hand full of nasr missiles loaded with tactical nuclear bombs.

I was bored at work and loking at INS kochi specs, looking into the Frigates and destroyers of IN, I was in awe of the offensive firepower these puppy's have, shivalik and Talwar class are almost destroyers, got me thinking about the kamorts hull platform being used as 8x2 Brahmos UVLM with small 32 cell Shtil module and retaining the 533mm torp tube would compliment the Missile boat Idea pretty well. Could even match Talwar class Destros. Or even an saryu class OPV with 8 cell UVLM and a 16 cell Shtil.
So far IN is not in a mood to have a dedicated platform for nirbhay cruise missiles.

We are going to deploy it in our rajastan areas,Does it have NBC protection? I mean Pakistan having a hand full of nasr missiles loaded with tactical nuclear bombs.

So far IN is not in a mood to have a dedicated platform for nirbhay cruise missiles.
From Shivalik class Specs, looks like UVLM is designed to switch between Klub-N and Brahmos.
Klub N is 8.2 m in length, Brahmos is 8.4M in length, and Nirbhay is 6m in length, Klub N and brahmos are SLCM's thus can be fired from 533mm torp tubes, My understanding is Nirbhay will be a SLCM too, thus will have similar Diameter to be launched from a 533mm tube. There is a good chance that UVLM will support Nirbhay too, so we are potentially looking at all brahmos capable ships and Subs capable of seamlessly switching between Brahmos, KlubN and Nirbhay.

From Shivalik class Specs, looks like UVLM is designed to switch between Klub-N and Brahmos.
Klub N is 8.2 m in length, Brahmos is 8.4M in length, and Nirbhay is 6m in length, Klub N and brahmos are SLCM's thus can be fired from 533mm torp tubes, My understanding is Nirbhay will be a SLCM too, thus will have similar Diameter to be launched from a 533mm tube. There is a good chance that UVLM will support Nirbhay too, so we are potentially looking at all brahmos capable ships and Subs capable of seamlessly switching between Brahmos, KlubN and Nirbhay.
But only 16 brahmos can be fitted on these uvlm,also any destroyer/frigate required carry minimum antiship missiles and can't replace all these 16 brahmos with nirbhay.
One thing I am not understanding is that despite being comparable tonnage with US Burk class Kolkata carries only 32+16 vertical launched systems where as Burk can carry 96.

It will be even better when hypersonic Brahmos 2 and/or NG-Brahmos(mini) replaces Brahmos1. And the surface fleet gets long range land assault capability with Nirbhay blocks. And possible long range, 200-300 km SAM, that DRDO is developing under their "missile autonomy mission".

erA7WpC.jpg

B-NG_zpsomtukbap.jpg

TH24_NIRBHAY__2169668f.jpg

It's only just began really.

But only 16 brahmos can be fitted on these uvlm,also any destroyer/frigate required carry minimum antiship missiles and can't replace all these 16 brahmos with nirbhay.
One thing I am not understanding is that despite being comparable tonnage with US Burk class Kolkata carries only 32+16 vertical launched systems where as Burk can carry 96.

For sure, for it's tonnage, they carry fewer sams and assault missiles compared to it's contemporaries. They also left a lot of space between LRSAM and the Brahmos missiles. Surely they'll add more, at least I think.

FaS1TZC.jpg

On%2BBoard%2BIndian%2BNavy%2527s%2BINS%2BKochi%2B9.jpg

They could've put another 16 Baraks there.(?)

Even in the upcoming Vizag class, this isnt changed for some reason.

navy-destroyer-visakhapatnam-650_650x400_71429181441.jpg

It's disappointing, but I dont know their planning behind it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom