Majority Muslims want Sharia law in their countries: Study

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.Rafay

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
A majority of Muslims around the world want Sharia law to be implemented in their countries but are split on how it should be applied, a Pew Research Center study has found.
A comprehensive study titled “The World’s Muslims: Religion, Politics and Society” conducted between 2008 and 2012 focused on 38,000 people in 39 countries and territories drawn from a global Muslim community of 2.2 billion people.
A solid majority of Muslims, notably in Asia, Africa and the Middle East, were in favor of Sharia — traditional Islamic law — being adopted as the law of the land.
The percentage of those in favor of Sharia being implemented as their country’s law varied from eight percent in Azerbaijan to 99 percent in Afghanistan.
The study revealed many Muslims were in favour of applying Sharia in the private sphere to settle family or property disputes.
However, in most countries surveyed, there was less support for severe punishments, such as cutting off the hands of thieves or executing people who convert from Islam to another faith.
A majority of Muslims are also in favour of freedom of religion, even while backing Sharia. In Pakistan, for example, 84 percent of Muslims want Sharia enshrined as official law but 75 percent believe non-Muslims are free to practice their religion.
Around half of Muslims in the survey expressed concerns about religious extremism, particularly in Egypt, Iraq and Tunisia.
In most countries, a majority of Muslims said a wife must obey her husband, although a majority also said a woman should decide whether or not to wear a veil.
Most Muslims said they do not feel tension between their religion and modern life, prefer a democratic regime, enjoy music or Western movies, even if such pastimes are sometimes regarded as undermining morality.
An overwhelming majority viewed prostitution, homosexuality, suicide or alcohol consumption as immoral but there are sharp differences on issues such as polygamy.
Only four percent polled in Bosnia and Herzegovina considered polygamy morally acceptable, against 87 percent in Niger.
A strong majority surveyed said so-called honour killings could never be justified. The only exceptions came in Afghanistan and Iraq, where majorities condoned executions of women deemed to have shamed their families by engaging in premarital sex or adultery.
Violence carried out in the name of Islam was also widely rejected.
In the United States, 81 percent of Muslims said such violence can “never” be justified against a global median of 73 percent.
Substantial minorities in Bangladesh, Egypt, Afghanistan and the Palestinian territories said violence was permissible.

Most Muslims want Sharia law: study | Pakistan Today | Latest news | Breaking news | Pakistan News | World news | Business | Sport and Multimedia

The study revealed many Muslims were in favour of applying Sharia in the private sphere to settle family or property disputes.
However, in most countries surveyed, there was less support for severe punishments, such as cutting off the hands of thieves or executing people who convert from Islam to another faith.

I didnt think you got to pick and chose, Oh i want that bit but i dont want the other parts?

I for one am against the Sharia law. Not because I think that there is anything wrong with it but of the perception of what most of us Muslims think it is.

You,can 'if' you have 'ijma'a' (consensus/majority votes) in the 'shura'a' (parliament).

Really?? Are you telling me that Sharia laws can be tweaked if majority wants the change? I thought those laws were supposedly god made and unalterable!! But what you are telling here is certainly a new thing to know, if true.

You,can 'if' you have 'ijma'a' (consensus/majority votes) in the 'shura'a' (parliament).

there might in difference in jurisprudence but the matters of set shariah should not be changed.We now have people who believe that democracy is compatible,although Muslims can vote for their leaders,changing divine laws in exchange for man-made laws is not to be compromised.To say that you can change the fundamentals of sharia because of the consensus of the parliament would make that parliament Illegitimate.

The problem would be the extremist version of Sharia law. I would hate to see any rules forced on women especially in terms of forced hijab or Work related issues regarding women. If the Taliban have their way , they would imprison women in the houses.

I would like to see more liberalization and not go in the opposite direction. I will fight to death the prevention of Talibanization of Pakistan. NOT in my country and NOT on my watch.

The problem would be the extremist version of Sharia law. I would hate to see any rules forced on women especially in terms of forced hijab or Work related issues regarding women. If the Taliban have their way , they would imprison women in the houses.

I would like to see more liberalization and not go in the opposite direction. I will fight to death the prevention of Talibanization of Pakistan. NOT in my country and NOT on my watch.

forced hijab?the hijab is obligatorily on the Muslim women.please explain to me what shariah is then,since you seem to have a "liberal" view about it(whatever that means).Also there have been reports that women did work under the Taliban,although this was not a wide case because the country was recovering from war.

forced hijab?the hijab is obligatorily on the Muslim women.please explain to me what shariah is then,since you seem to have a "liberal" view about it(whatever that means).Also there have been reports that women did work under the Taliban,although this was not a wide case because the country was recovering from war.

People are free to do what they want to do. If someone wants to wear hijab, that is their business. If anyone tells my family to wear one against their will , that wont happen.

People perceptions regarding Islamic laws are very distorted, and Muslims themselves are to be blamed for it. Generally examples are given of either Iran or Saudi Arabia, where Islamic law is in-place selectively. Then as a purposeful campaign against Islamic law, example is given of Taliban era in Afghanistan, which was not islamic laws, but a mix of Afghan tribal culture blend with Islamic law. So, first of all it needs to be cleared that there is no country, right now, which is practicing 100% according to Islamic laws, which is fine, because every country has its own socio-economic dynamics.

What is Islamic law? Its the first thing everyone should know, before going further. It is basically guidelines of Quran and Sunnah (the way how Prophet Mohammad SAW did certain things). You can divide them in following major portions.

1. Domestic Laws:

These basically cover marital laws, way Muslims married or separated. Rights of wife and husband, similarly duties of wife and husband. Rules for adopting a child. Rules or guidelines, how a person's property or wealth is divided among his beneficiaries upon his death. With which ratio, the wealth will be divided among sons and daughters. Many like such domestic laws and guidelines fall under this category.

Note: Almost every Muslim is generally following this law, and its already in-place in many countries. But the need in case of Pakistan, is to remove many conflicting laws in place.

2. Economic Laws:

These laws ask for Muslim state to ensure Riba-free (interest free) economics. Zakat for Muslims and Jazziyah for Non-Muslims. Zakat is deducted once a year at 2.5% rate, if his or her wealth is above a certain baselines. Non-Muslims are exempted from it, for them the tax is called Jazziyah. Islam clearly gave laws for taxation of agriculture yield and on trade profits. All this collected money is collected in Bait-ul-maal, from where it will be distributed among poor.

Criminal Laws:

These laws are related to crimes and there punishment. Laws of witnesses. Duties of judge. Rights of defendants and so forth. Everything is mentioned and well defined.
Now, it is this part, where all the propaganda is all about. If you just look at the example of Middle Eastern countries Saudi Arbaia, UAE, Kuwait where Islamic punishment are in force. Crime ratio is surprisingly low.
Yes, Ijmah (consensus) could be done, on whether a murderer should be hanged or be-headed, thats not he real issue. Real issue is of implementation of law.

During Hazrat Umer (R.A) period, a drought hit Arab. Hazrat Umer abolished the punishment of cutting hand for thieves, this was a sign that if someone hungry is caught for steeling food, he should be let go unharmed. There are thousands of such examples one can find in history books. These laws are flexible, and can be tweaked keeping in view the current era needs.

PS: Islamic law clearly give directions on the rights of Zimmi (non-muslims living in muslim rule). Zimmi word come from Zimma meaning (for whom one is responsible). Only the meaning of word Zimmi clearly tell us, what are the duties of Muslim government for minorities. To some up, Hazrat Mohammad SAW in His last address states, Be fearful to Allah for the matters of minorities.
They are free to live their lives peacefully according to their faith and believes.

People are free to do what they want to do. If someone wants to wear hijab, that is their business. If anyone tells my family to wear one against their will , that wont happen.

are you even a muslim?if you're not then your opinion is absolutely worthless.If Pakistan comes under sharia law and you don't want to abide by the rules,then you're free to leave or stay in U.S

are you even a muslim?if you're not then your opinion is absolutely worthless.If Pakistan comes under sharia law and you don't want to abide by the rules,then you're free to leave or stay in U.S

Who the hell do you think you are to tell a Pakistani where to live. Upni auqaat mein reh kay baat karo chootay. Go live with the Taliban if you miss the life style. As for the rules, you think Pakistan will become like your backward Taliban country, you are mistaken.

Pakistani and Bangladeshi(South Asian) muslims are clearly winning this race.

GSI-II-infographic_forweb.png

Sir aap ko koi Hijab pehnaneii ki koooshish tou kareiii - Jaaan bhii hazir haii mereiii aap ke difaa mein ! :omghaha:

Sir aap ko koi Hijab pehnaneii ki koooshish tou kareiii - Jaaan bhii hazir haii mereiii aap ke difaa mein ! :omghaha:

Armstrong Bhai, mujhe yeh BUZDIL kiya Hijab pahenay pur majboor kareingay.

Yeh begharat tou khud hijab pahantey hein. Aap nay dekha hoga in Taliban Busdiloan ko. TV pay aatein hain to muhn Chopaya howa hota hai. Lagta hai Hijab pehanaa huwa hai beygharatoan nay.:omghaha:

Phir kabhi yeh buzdil beyghairat Burka pehanay huway pakray jatein hein.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom