What's new

Made in India Vehicles

HAL had also made a car which never reached production :D. Not much is know about it..here is probably the only pic available.
125791d1239838003t-hal-car-16.jpg

Sipani Dolphin which many here especially from south India will remember was manufactured in Bangalore. The car was pitted as a direct competitor to the Maruti 800 but unfortunately could not match the popularity of the 800. It was believed to be a copy of the Reliant Kitten from UK
3932132996_6384d0f568.jpg

3113.jpg

The Standard 2000 was the last car to be manufactured under the standard stable from chennai. Production stopped in 1987 and the company closed down a few years later :( . It was considered to be manufactured under license from Rover.

Although a lot of automobiles were manufactured in the south, almost all except for TVS(Chennai) and Reva(Bangalore) bit the dust!

The biggest was the Standard Company in Chennai
Java & Yezdi from Mysore Karnataka
Sipani from Bangalore, Karnataka

I probably have to include Ashok Leyland in the list, however I have left out Volvo and the rest since they are much newer.

I own a 1957 Vauxhall Wyvern and 1961 Standard herald Mk1

Here is how they look

wyvern.jpg

white13.jpg

Last edited:
Dont indian men feel ashamed riding scooters?
no pun... its just embarassing dont u think?

Scooters don't have a big market in India now. But I think they are trying to re-introduce it making it 'retro'. It is and has always been popular in Europe especially Italy.

"I own a 1957 Vauxhall Wyvern and 1961 Standard herald Mk1"

@ Trisonics
Hi, the Standard Herald was quite a nifty and sporty looking car in its time. Had one as college student.And probably the first Indian car with bucket seats and a stick shift. Was quite popular with my girl-friends.
The first thing i did was to take off the roof, later a friend drove it into a truck and turned it into scrap-metal. Long time owners had a harrowing time if they ever broke the rear (split) axle, which was another speciality of the car. Another thing that i remember was the polished wooden dash-board fascia with the original 'Smiths' instruments.
Was'nt it called the Triumph Vitesse in the UK?
Later Standard went on to make the ugly Gazel and the functional Standard 10 and Standard Companion.
But the Standard 2000 was India's first 'luxury', car later joined by the Contessa. Thanks for reminding me.

@ Trisonics
Is that the original paint-scheme on your Herald? The grille looks a little different,
and it has a Poona registration?

:smitten:

TATA Aria

tata-aria.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Oy yaar ... y not put it into production? .... Y Not ...y ? :hitwall::hitwall::hitwall::

I've been seeing this pic for 10 yrs. now. Still OK!

Who's obstructing ... I'd like to find out who is ir-responsible enough to not let this happen. What's the hold -up, who's holding it up!

Last edited:
Off topic and non relavant but an Interesting news..

China’s SAIC to hit India

China’s largest auto maker Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation (SAIC) will mark the first entry of the dragon in the Indian car market when the firm will introduce three passenger cars including a small car, in collaboration with its joint venture partner General Motors in the next two years.

Many Chinese firms including Chery and Geely have in the past evinced interest in entering India, the second-fastest growing car market after China. But none of these plans have borne fruit so far. SAIC has two existing joint ventures in China — with Volkswagen and GM, and holds a 20 per cent marketshare in the world’s biggest automobille market.
“Our product pipeline is very robust and we plan to bring in atleast 6 new vehicles and 14 fuel varieties in the next two years,” said Karl Slym, president and managing director, General Motors India. “Out of these six, five will come from SAIC. While two will be mini trucks, there will be one small car and another two sedans. When the cars come in, SAIC will become the first Chinese company to venture into the Indian car market. “

In the domestic small car segment, which accounts for two-thirds of the Indian car market, GM currently has three cars — Spark, Beat and Aveo U-VA. The small car from SAIC is expected to be the one which will be priced and featured lower than the entry-level Spark, giving GM more traction in the market.

The scale of operations at which SAIC will operate in India will be vastly different from what it is used to in China. In 2009, the Chinese car maker produced 2.7 million vehicles of which 1.6 million were passenger cars and 1.12 million were commercial vehicles. In contrast in 2009-10, India’s entire passenger vehicle market was 2.0 million units strong with biggest domestic car maker Maruti Suzuki selling 870,783 units. The country’s commercial vehicle industry was even smaller at just 531,395 units, with market leader Tata Motors producing 322,699 units.

Preparations for SAIC’s entry are already underway. GM India is investing $250 million (R1,125 crore) in expanding its Halol car facility from 85,000 units to over 1 lakh units per annum while converting it into a commercial vehicle hub. Halol will produce SAIC’s two mini trucks, the first of which will be launched by the end of next year. With SAIC’s passenger cars in tow, GM’s ambitions are also soaring.

“I can guarantee sales of more than a lakh this year, which will go up to 2 lakh by 2012 and 3 lakh by 2013,” Slym said.
The size of GM India will be dwarfed by its joint venture (SAIC-GM) in China. GM-SAIC sold 7.3 lakh vehicles in China in 2009, making GM the second-largest foreign carmaker in the country, next only to SAIC’s other partner Volkswagen.

China?s SAIC to hit India - Hindustan Times

^
Tata Motors to launch Aria on 11th October :yahoo:

Tata-Aria-front-300x200.jpg

Tata Motors have officially announced the launch date of their most awaited MPV, Aria. Tata Aria will be launched on 11th October and will be available in major Indian cities from the same day. First unveiled at the 2005 Geneva Auto Show, Aria will be the most advance product Tata has ever manufactured.

It is rumoured that Aria has been given finishing touches by none other than engineers from Land Rover, making Aria a more polished vehicle. We also believe Tata Motors to manufacture 2011 Tata Safari on the same platform as Aria’s. The base variant of Aria is expected to cost approximately around Rs 9.5 lakhs while the higher end will cost you Rs 12.5 lakhs approximately.

Tata Aria will be armoured with loads of gadgets like, GPS, parking sensors, dual AC, climate control, steering wheel with audio controls, airbags, alloys and ABS. A 2179 cc 2.2L diesel engine will provide 120 bhp @ 4000 rpm making Aria a powerful MPV. A total of 7 passengers can travel Aria which is 333 cms long and 171 cms wide.

-----------------------------------------
Looks even better than the prototype, no?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom