What's new

M - 9 - Karachi - Hyderabad Motorway

Everybody knows. They are clear identification. They have extra build ups and central portions are temporary. can be removed..

As you wish.................................................

u r my brother, so i accept your wish
is that ok now.......

Karachi mey ay din traffic jam ho jata .motorway ka achar dalay?

gCMduJY.jpg

13876448_1716539225276405_4079135404688634359_n.jpg

13902727_1716539281943066_7046628376720699440_n.jpg

So here is the November review

They have opened around 60-65 kms of road for traffic so far on both sides with proper lane markings except for few kms. Whoever claims or merely feels the road quality is not up to the mark needs to drive on the completed section. The drive is an absolute charm. The quality feels great, lane width seems fine to me but the left most lane seems smaller. Again I m saying it just from the look of it, I have not measured it or anything.

What they have done is they have divided the road in 3 sections. 30-40 kms from Karachi side and 30 kms approx from Hyderabad side is under construction, where as the middle 60-65 kms portion has been completed except for few bridges on that stretch. All the intersections are also under construction and speed is top notch. If they continue at this speed, there is no way they can't open the entire road by June 2017. They can always give finalization touches like fencing, construction of service roads, service areas etc by December 2017 which is the actual completion time.

Diversions are still in shambles and the entire road is safety hazard with no proper sign boards and directions. A lot has been said about these two issues however it seems NHA and FWO simply don't give a damn. Very unprofessional indeed. There are actually patches where no one seems to have any idea where to go and the only way is to follow the vehicles ahead of you, which sometimes gets you lost and you reach a dead end. Its shocking how FWO, NHA or even motorway police doesn't care about these issues. I mean this is one of the most heavily used highways of the country and it is being converted to a motorway, how can you not take care of these things?

NH&MP will have to enforce strict lane discipline as people don't follow it here. They need to create awareness that right most lane is for overtaking and emergencies only. People keep driving in that lane continuously. Lane discipline will have to be strictly followed considering the volume of heavy duty vehicles on this road.

M-9 motorway project : 76 km to be opened for traffic by month end

HYDERABAD: More than half of the 132-kilometre-long M-9 motorway project between Karachi and Hyderabad will be completed and opened for traffic by the end of this month.

The Superhighway Construction Operation and Rehabilitation Engineering Limited (SCORE) assured the Sindh High Court (SHC) that it will also immediately address the road safety problems and complaints of the locals.

The Hyderabad circuit bench, comprising Justice Salahuddin Panhwar and Justice Muhammad Iqbal Mahar, heard on Thursday two identical petitions regarding the M-9 motorway project.

“… that major portion of the road, which is 76 kilometres, will be opened preferably by the end of this year,” the order quoted Brig (retd) Tahir Raja, chief operating officer of SCORE, which is a subsidiary of Frontier Works Organization, as assuring.

The official further gave his word to the bench that SCORE, which has been collecting the toll tax from the two old toll plazas of the Super Highway for over a year, will immediately desist the practice. “… they will charge the tax on [the] new road as per the sketch,” the order noted.

During the hearing, Advocate Sajjad Chandio, counsel for the petitioner, pointed out to the court that SCORE failed to comply with the November 24 SHC order for the improvement of the condition of diversion roads and limited their length to 2.5km.

The COO claimed that currently, there are seven diversion roads in the project with all except one measuring 2.5km. The only larger diversion of three kilometres will soon be curtailed to the permissible limit, he said.

Brig Raja told the court that an eight-member committee comprising five officials from the National Highway Authority (NHA) and three from SCORE has been formed to address the grievances.

According to a report submitted by SCORE, the NHA and Motorway police will provide a certified list of casualties caused by the construction works on the road to the company for processing of compensation cases.

So here is the December review.

They have almost completed 70-75kms on both sides. Again I'd say the drive is a charm. People complaining about the quality need to wait for the whole highway to complete, we should give FWO that much benefit of doubt. And considering they shall be responsible to maintain the road for next 25 years, I am sure they will not build a sub standard highway which needs maintenance and repair every now and then.

They have almost finished the portion from DHA City all the way to Toll Plaza on Hyderabad side with km stretch remaining on Hyderabad side. Bridges are being widened and interchanges being built. Considering their speed I don't think they should take more than 2 months to complete the section all the way to Hyderabad toll plaza including widening of bridges. Interchanges however might need more time.

That brings us to the section between DHA city and Sohrab Goth. Considering not much work has been done on this more than 50k long portion, I don't think they'll be able to complete the entire motorway by June 2017. I'll give it a Dec 17 date, possibly a couple of months earlier but no sooner.

We need to keep in mind that building this motorway is no easy task comparing to other motorways for multiple reasons:

- This is a highway to motorway conversion project which means uprooting the existing road, dig it up, level it, widen it and then carpet it.

- This is one of the busiest if not the busiest road in Pakistan so traffic is massive.

Now lets come to the not so good parts

Despite lots of hue and cry, media coverage, accidents, fatalities, court orders etc it seems NHA and FWO simply don't give a damn about the safety aspects.

- Lack of proper sign boards overall especially in case of diversions. Its only when you need to turn for the diversion that you actually see a sign board, nothing to warn you in advance, so if you are driving at even normal speed, be careful.

- Absolutely pathetic quality of diversions. Have said so much about it already. Absolutely disgusting.

- Chaos at diversions as drivers tend to go in different directions with no one in sight to help.

- Traffic jams have become too common now at certain portions only due to above mentioned points.

- Height of the block/road separator in the middle seems to be an issue as it doesn't hide lights coming from opposite direction.

- According to the court, one diversion can not be more than 2.5km long but who cares, many of them are.

- As mentioned above, the points where bridges are being widened or intersections built, they have created diversions at those places but again no warning nothing. You are driving at normal speed and suddenly you see a diversions sign from few meters away and you have to put sudden brakes. Extremely dangerous it is.

Back
Top Bottom