What's new

lun-class ekranoplan!

silko

Reaction score
Looks like an seaplane carrier/Missile launcher.I have to say this thing is stunning.

It looks huge enough to carry alot of soldiers and equipment to any port and strong enough (the missiles) to destroy all the defenses of the place it is going to drop those soldiers in.

I think if the soviet union still existed today. we might have seen a much more advanced world. Wither it be military or space.

It is not a sea plane .... it is a Ekranoplan ... a GEV (ground effect Vehicle)

A seaplane can fly like a normal plane and land in water/runway

It is not a hovercraft..... hovercrafts have a cushion of air beneath them

A GEV just flies above the waves ... but not at a great height

Ground effect vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it says in wikipedia that it can fly like 5 meters above ground, why is that? and what was this made for? what was americas answer to this?

it cant carry soldier i think, since it says that it's crew member is 16 or something!

it says in wikipedia that it can fly like 5 meters above ground, why is that? and what was this made for? what was americas answer to this?

it cant carry soldier i think, since it says that it's crew member is 16 or something!

It said it rivaled the H4-Hercules. and the H4-Hercules was a transport aircraft. if this is not built for transport than why was it built?

This version acted as a guided missile carrier

Lun_Ekranoplan.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

Thanks for the info. So it is a ship/plane....

your welcome.... yes it is a ship aircaft hybrid

This version acted as a guided missile carrier

Lun_Ekranoplan.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

your welcome

a second strike nuclear capability?

by the way, what will the future for this plane be? i heard russia was going to restore it and take it back to service again in 2012, can someone give us any information on that. and especially people from russia here in the forum, can you provide any information!

As you can see the speed of this particular aircraft is way more than any surface ship at 297 kn (550 km/h; 342 mph).... The highest speeb attained by normal surface ships is about 36 knots (36 nautical miles per hour)

Here is a list of other GEVs by other nations....
http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ground_effect_vehicles

And the draw back to that is lack of fleet defense support. Wikipedia says it is going to be put back into production. But until this comes from a more authoritive source I wouldn’t bet on it. To many other more worthy competing projects for the defense funds available.

Back
Top Bottom