What's new

LSP-8-maiden-flight-successful

I stay near Madivala.. luckily my terrace falls right below the sortie arc :P I normally get to see it when it is accelerating on the curve. \m/

thats a very very good development indeed !

And I work in Ecospace....I see it everyday at work too:)

Livefist: Finally, Tejas LSP-8 Takes Off
LCA%2BMarch%2BII-744624.JPG
Did anyone notice the air intake in front of tail fin! That was first think I noticed.

I m a bit noob here, so can u tell how many test planes r we gonna fly for Mk1 n how many SPs r we gonna fly???

This is the last LSP and after this its the SP-1 that will come out, but this won't happen any time soon.

R all these LSPs n SPs will form part of the 40 Mk1 order???

AFAIK, only 20 Mk-1 order is confirmed, +20 order is not yet paid for by the IAF as this will probably happen only after 12-15 SPs have rolled out and IAF is satisfied with it. I think we should stop Mk-1 production at 20 units and go in for a larger no. of Mk-2, we can also start work on the Mk-2 sooner that way.

TDs and LSPs are not part of the 20 Mk-1 order as that order is only for production-standard jets and no LSP is up to that standard. First all the given parameters are ironed out from the LSP test aircraft and a final SP is made based on the test results of the LSP.

What do u expect the full production capacity of HAL will be for LCA n by when?

The production of SPs will start with 8 aircraft/per year rate and according to HAL the plan is to upscale the production to atleast 16 aircraft per year, probably by the time the 20th Mk-1 SP is out (I don't expect HAL to do it any sooner than that).

When we do establish a production facility capable of churning out 16 (or 16+) SP-grade Tejas, the Mk-2 will be in testing stage and it is the Mk-2 which will ultimately benefit from any upscaling of the production center, not Mk-1. For 2 reasons -

1) HAL won't be able to achieve such an upscalement in less than 7-8 years atleast.
2) Mk-1 is not to be produced in numbers large enough to benefit from big-scale production facilities.

So Mk-2 is the biggest benefactor.

N lastly when do expect Mk2 to enter into production n what is its expected price????:what:

I don't see Mk-2 entering SP production in this decade. It will cost just as much as Gripen NG, a bit lesser that it to be pricise.

Limitless AoA? which fighter has absolute numbers?

If you can not reply, then you dont need any source...

Su-30MKI can achieve upto a maximum of 180 degrees AoA, that means it can point its nose in any degree of elevation and able to fire missiles at any elevation point. Aircraft like Lockheed
F-16 (30 degree AoA limit) cannot use missiles at supercritical AoA.

Rafale & Typhoon can achieve upto 100 degrees AoA. JAS-39 Gripen AoA upper limit is capped at 50 degrees by the Flight Computer for safety, Gripen is not a safe place to be in beyond that point, hence.

Did anyone notice the air intake in front of tail fin! That was first think I noticed.

Yes its the APU air intake, it was there since LSP 5 if I'm right. However some LSPs sport a sealed APU, even
among open APUs, there are 2 different designs being worked, the one you see above is the more aerodynamic
design and offers less drag.

We have so many Bangaloreans here living around HAL. Yet no Photo..?

You gotta criticize me for the photo opp of the century....I saw LCH TD 1 fly- 2 weeks before the actual public flight. I was laughing my *** off because people here were anxiously waiting for it to 'take off'. It's just so dammn difficult to keep your wits about you- pull your phone out and shoot in a second. More difficult than you think.

I don't see Mk-2 entering SP production in this decade. It will cost just as much as Gripen NG, a bit lesser that it to be pricise.

Don't u think that similar cost as Gripen NG would be too high for LCA bcoz IMO its not as good as Gripen NG(which might be about $60+M).

N considering our cheaper cost of production it should be much less than NG rather something around c/d variant, like we significantly reduced the price of Hawk AJT?

One more question what is DSI n what r its advantages?

N why han't we used it in LCA while China uses the same in JF17?

Don't u think that similar cost as Gripen NG would be too high for LCA bcoz IMO its not as good as Gripen NG(which might be about $60+M).

N considering our cheaper cost of production it should be much less than NG rather something around c/d variant, like we significantly reduced the price of Hawk AJT?

One more question what is DSI n what r its advantages?

N why han't we used it in LCA while China uses the same in JF17?

I think gripen NG would cost some $70mill. and tejas mk2 estimated cost would be around 50+mill$.
and nobody knows about the perfomance of LCA MK2.because it not yet produced.

And DSI means A diverterless supersonic inlet.it is a jet engine air intake to control airflow into engines.Basically they shift boundary layer air away from the engine intakes.Advantage of DSI stand for compress/straighten out the flow through side by that 3-d bump without heavily movable setup.due to no mobile parts, this type inlets helps to increase AoA in aircrafts like F35. and the first flown aircraft with DSI is f16 blk30 in 1996.
I think the airframe was designed with a Kaveri-type engine in mind, which the Ge-404/414 basically are. so there might might not be. But Y-duct air intakes have optimized diverter configuration to ensure free air supply to the engine at acceptable distortion levels, even at high AoA.LEVCONs increase controllability at high AoA in naval tejas.

@sancho

What are the final specs of LSP-8 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
@selvan33 @The A-5 @sancho

Can u plz explain the importance of LIFT in training n whether our Hawks can perform LIFT for IAF or not?

Or can we use LCA for LIFT specially Mk1 as they aren't gonna face battle field anyway???

Do you mean APU (Auxalary Power Unit) intake?? It was open in LSP 1-4 was closed in LSP 4-7 , They again open that intake in LSP 8. This intake will take air for APU (APU is a small engine which provide power in initial stage, Its something like Battery in your car :P )

Hope this will help you...

@selvan33 @The A-5 @sancho

Can u plz explain the importance of LIFT in training n whether our Hawks can perform LIFT for IAF or not?

Or can we use LCA for LIFT specially Mk1 as they aren't gonna face battle field anyway???

dude LIFT(lead in fighter training) training is nothing. that uses advanced jet trainer with latest avionics and stores(like weapons,drop tanks)management capability which emulates like an advanced fighter jet which will be used in war. and this LIFT training increases pilots ability to go directly into combat plane operation. and in LIFT training,the training situation also similarly like a combat scenario which the on board avionics linked with ground stations, and it also uses war situation like IR based missiles,flares,chaff,collision warning,etc and it also seems like a low ground EW situation.
our hawk is latest one in Bae hawk trainer series and the first flown hawk with LIFT capability is Hawk 120.
and we can also use our tejas too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom