What's new

LPDs Lead India's Push To Boost Sealift, Amphibious Capabilities

Bhai Zakir

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
LPDs Lead India's Push To Boost Sealift, Amphibious Capabilities

NEW DELHI — The Indian Navy’s plans to add four landing platform docks (LPDs) underscore its long-term goal to boost lift capabilities throughout the vast Indian Ocean territory.

These vessels, at a cost of more than $3 billion, will join the US-built Jalashwa, acquired in 2008. In addition to the Jalashwa, the Navy has five landing ship tanks.

“The Indian Navy is in dire need of modernizing its amphibious capacity and enhancing its sealift capability,” said Probal Ghosh, senior fellow at the Observer Research Foundation, based here. “Given its large island assets and the fact that India is emerging as a security provider and guarantor in the Indian Ocean region [which has many island nations], the need of amphibious assets cannot be understated. The addition of four LPDs is hence an instrument in the fulfillment of India’s growing strategic role.”

Defense analyst Anil Jai Singh said the Navy’s lift requirement would be about a brigade (3,000 troops), which should be adequately addressed with the induction of four LPDs. But a follow-on program would need to be initiated soon after to maintain that capability.

In early December, the Navy floated a $2.6 billion domestic tender for construction of four LPDs with bids sent only to domestic shipyards Larsen & Toubro, Pipavav Defence, Offshore Engineering and ABG Shipyard. The proposal is to build two LPDs at the selected private-sector yard and another two at the state-owned Hindustan Shipyard.

It will mark the first time India has constructed a more than 20,000-ton LPD.

For their bids to build the ships in India, Larsen & Toubro has tied up with Spain’s Navantia, while Pipavav Defence and Offshore Engineering has teamed with France’s DCNS, and ABG Shipyard with US company Alion.

Navy officials say in private that the service’s strategic lift capability is inadequate and must be improved to compete with that of China.

“As the geostrategic drivers in the Indian Ocean region gather intensity, Indian naval assets, especially in ... littoral warfare, will need to be enhanced considerably,” Ghosh said. “We not only need large LPDs but new landing craft utility squadrons and other smaller crafts, landing ship tanks and hovercrafts or hydrofoils to have a balanced littoral inventory. Most importantly, we need highly trained marine troops ... to carry out littoral operations.”

A Defence Ministry official said bluewater capabilities remain essential to prevent enemy vessels, including submarines, from reaching Indian coastal regions. This includes thwarting enemy offensive submarine activities and associated sea-based logistic support systems.

“Presently, we have a credible sea-denial capability, but the delay in the modernization of the submarine arm could lead to a critical deficit in the near future, which would become increasingly difficult to bridge if not addressed urgently,” Singh said.

http://www.defensenews.com/article/...lift-Amphibious-Capabilities?odyssey=nav|head

Only Naval arm of our defence knows how to promote indigenization .

4*3000+1*1000=13000+ men trained for Amphibious warfare. Is it enough to capture port city ??

20000 ton , is it empty weight or loaded weight ?? :undecided:

thanks to indian navy l&t is becoming a potent defence manufacturer.our private players are improving day by day.

Criteria of IN's Multi Role Support Vessel Program.....

1. Size: Should be no more than 215 meters long; and draft at full load must not exceed 8 meters.
  2. Aviation facilities: Aviation deck to carry 10 heavy helicopters, up to 35 tons.
  3. Troop space: Accommodate 1,430 personnel, including 60 officers, 470 sailors and 900 troops.
  4. Load carrying capability: Combination of landing craft, including landing craft mechanized to ferry tanks; landing craft, vehicle, personnel to transport troops; and the fast-moving landing craft air cushion vessels. Should carry six main battle tanks, 20 infantry combat vehicles and 40 heavy trucks.
  5. On-board weapons: Point-defense missile system, close-in weapon system, an anti-torpedo decoy system, a chaff system, and heavy and light machine guns.
  6. Range and endurance: Endurance of 45 days, with a maximum sustained speed of not less than 20 knots.
  7. Propulsion: Powered by electric propulsion systems.
  8. Special Features: Specialized areas from hospital facilities to naval command center.
  9. Role: Conducting maritime surveillance, special operations, search and rescue, medical support and humanitarian aid.

thats going to be a decent LPD.but can anyone confirm whether the criteria is to carry 10 heavy helicopters in "Flight Deck" or altogether???as Mistral carries some 6 Heavy helos or some 33 ton weight in its Flight deck,while hanger accommodates more.in the therms of carrying capability,it looks like it'll cross Mistral's carrying capability which carries 1,400 men, 280 vehicles(or some 59 heavy and light tanks), and 30 helicopters for ten days,ain't it???as per requirement,LPD has to able to carry some 1430 soldiers,around a dozen of heavy helicopters(not clear) and some 66 heavy vehicles which consists of heavy trucks,MBTs and ICVs.its going to be larger than Mistral for sure.

@Abingdonboy @sancho @Capt.Popeye and others....

4*3000+1*1000=13000+ men trained for Amphibious warfare. Is it enough to capture port city ??

didn't get your point.....

didn't get your point.....

From OP I concluded that 3000 amphibion personel could be able board each new 20000 tonner ships on order hence I added 1000 for Jalshwa and (4 on order )* (3000 amphibious assault team members ).Then asked a question than is 13000 strong assault contingent strong enough to capture ports during wars.

But, I gues I was wrong it's only 3600+1000 = 4600 but ,how can Jalshwa carry more troops since Jalshwa is lighter by 10000 ton if, I consider 20000 ton is empty weight.

Last edited:
But, I gues I was wrong it's only 3600+1000 = 4600 but ,how can Jalshwa carry more troops since Jalshwa is lighter by 10000 ton if, I consider 20000 ton is empty weight.

Jalashwa carrier 6 medium helos and some 1000(900 as per few sources) soldiers.it doesn't carry heavy helos,nor it carries tanks and heavy vehicles.plus,I think endurance is low too,as LPDs can carry more soldiers for shorter period while for longer period,it reduces to half or more.see,Mistral carries some 900 soldiers for shorter period while for longer period,number reduces to 450.

Jalashwa carrier 6 medium helos and some 1000(900 as per few sources) soldiers.it doesn't carry heavy helos,nor it carries tanks and heavy vehicles.plus,I think endurance is low too,as LPDs can carry more soldiers for shorter period while for longer period,it reduces to half or more.see,Mistral carries some 900 soldiers for shorter period while for longer period,number reduces to 450.

One never know IN may jack up tonnage mid way.

One never know IN may jack up tonnage mid way.

may be.I'd prefer something in the class of LHD,not LPD.as the LPD is going to be larger than Mistral,they why not increase the number of helos??

can anyone confirm whether the criteria is to carry 10 heavy helicopters in "Flight Deck" or altogether???

There is no LHD that has a flight deck with 10 helicopter spots, if that is what you meant and so far I didn't see such a requirement anyway. The RFI mentioned only that it must be able to support helicopter operations for helicopters until 35t only, but nothing about a flight deck, the hangar or even the numbers of helicopters that should be used.

So now Its clear that our navy wants LPDs and not LHDs like Mistral class. Is there any possibilities to make LPD based on Mistral class LHD?? @sancho @Abingdonboy @Capt. Popeye @janon

There is no LHD that has a flight deck with 10 helicopter spots, if that is what you meant and so far I didn't see such a requirement anyway. The RFI mentioned only that it must be able to support helicopter operations for helicopters until 35t only, but nothing about a flight deck, the hangar or even the numbers of helicopters that should be used.

there is no clarity about the specification.but as our LPD may become significantly larger than Mistral(some 16 meter),is that possible to carry that many Helo Spot??(probably not)

plus,whats your view about the size of Helos fleet on the LPD sir??should it be some 10-15 range or more???

So now Its clear that our navy wants LPDs and not LHDs like Mistral class. Is there any possibilities to make LPD based on Mistral class LHD?? @sancho @Abingdonboy @Capt. Popeye @janon

Yes, as far as I heared DCNS wanted to offer both Mistral LHD and if required an LDP version of it, but not even their officials knew what IN actually wanted. Another of these competitions where the requirements are not properly made and no vendor actually knows what the customer wants.

there is no clarity about the specification.but as our LPD may become significantly larger than Mistral(some 16 meter),is that possible??(probably not)

plus,whats your view about the size of Helos fleet sir??should it be some 10-15 range or more???

The lenght doesn't mean it's an LHD, you can build an LDP with the lenght too and have 2 or 3 helicopter landing spots and more internal space for cargo and vehicles and the RFI stated 200m as the limit.
10-15 helis would only possible for LHDs, but I expect LDPs only and then we talk about up to 6, depending on weight class.

Yes, as far as I heared DCNS wanted to offer both Mistral LHD and if required an LDP version of it, but not even their officials knew what IN actually wanted. Another of these competitions where the requirements are not properly made and no vendor actually knows what the customer wants.

The lenght doesn't mean it's an LHD, you can build an LDP with the lenght too and have 2 or 3 helicopter landing spots and more internal space for cargo and vehicles and the RFI stated 200m as the limit.
10-15 helis would only possible for LHDs, but I expect LDPs only and then we talk about up to 6, depending on weight class.

but as I posted the specification,IN wanted some 10 heavy helos to operate from the LPD.and the limit of the length is 215m.

but as I posted the specification,IN wanted some 10 heavy helos to operate from the LPD.and the limit of the length is 215m.

Feel free to post an official source that stated 10 helicopters from an LDP, I only stated what was given in the RFI and that clearly was about LDPs and didn't have any numbers for how many helicopters, but 10 definitely is too much for an LDP:

hwgie3if.jpg

t3j2ajaz.jpg

Last edited:
10 Heli Spot LHD
SHIP_LHD_Canberras_Concept_Mission_UAV_lg.jpg

Feel free to post an official source that stated 10 helicopters from an LDP, I only stated what was given in the RFI and that clearly was about LDPs and didn't have any numbers for how many helicopters, but 10 definitely is too much for an LDP:

hwgie3if.jpg

t3j2ajaz.jpg

Any idea about tonnage ??

Last edited:

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom