Lithuania bans Russian TV station over alleged `warmongering`

Hindustani78

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Lithuania bans Russian TV station over alleged `warmongering` | Zee News
Last Updated: Wednesday, April 8, 2015 - 22:17

Vilnius: Lithuania on Wednesday banned a Russian-language television channel for three months, accusing it of propaganda while covering events in Ukraine.

The Baltic state`s media watchdog suspended RTR Planeta for "inciting discord, warmongering, spreading biased information", spokeswoman Birute Kersiene said.

"This programme has repeatedly spread such information, therefore its broadcast was suspended for three months," Kersiene told AFP.

The channel is registered in Sweden but its producers are Russia-owned media company, VGTRK, she said.

Contacted by AFP in Moscow, an RTR Planeta official said Wednesday they had "no comment" to make.

Lithuania, which is both a NATO and EU member, is a vocal supporter of Ukraine.

Russia`s 2014 annexation of Crimea and its meddling in eastern Ukraine have triggered concern in Baltic states which emerged from nearly five decades of Soviet occupation in the early 1990s.

Ethnic Russians make up only six percent of Lithuania`s population, compared with a quarter in Estonia and Latvia, but Vilnius has led the way in denouncing what it describes as disinformation campaigns by Moscow.

The ban, however, has also raised eyebrows, with critics saying it could undermine key democratic principles, including freedom of speech.

"Probably, as a rule, we should not fight Russian propaganda with Russian-type of restrictive means," political scientist Sarunas Liekis told AFP.

"At the same I am confident that the state can impose sanctions when laws are regularly breached," he added.

RTR Planeta can be accessed via satellite and cable in Lithuania. While cable providers have vowed to abide by the ban, Lithuania cannot enforce it on satellite providers operating outside its jurisdiction.

AFP

The ban, however, has also raised eyebrows, with critics saying it could undermine key democratic principles, including freedom of speech.

AFP

Yes but the difference here is that when and if Russia does ban certain media outlets we have mass condemnations especially from the white house. When Russian stations are banned....it's silence. When journalists in Russia are murdered, again we hear condemnation (rightfully so) when Russian journalist are killed, abducted and tortured outside of Russia in places like Ukraine mostly again silence. When Russia banned gay people from publicly advertising their sexuality we heard cries and outrage from many western leaders, the most vocal being Obama yet when Saudi Arabia beheads gays we hear nothing from people such as Obama.

Freedom and democracy should be honored, people should be able to do and say what they please but when one side is condemning another and then turns around and does the same things then the entire foundation of what that one side stands for loses all credibility.

Yes but the difference here is that when and if Russia does ban certain media outlets we have mass condemnations especially from the white house. When Russian stations are banned....it's silence. When journalists in Russia are murdered, again we hear condemnation (rightfully so) when Russian journalist are killed, abducted and tortured outside of Russia in places like Ukraine mostly again silence. When Russia banned gay people from publicly advertising their sexuality we heard cries and outrage from many western leaders, the most vocal being Obama yet when Saudi Arabia beheads gays we hear nothing from people such as Obama.

Freedom and democracy should be honored, people should be able to do and say what they please but when one side is condemning another and then turns around and does the same things then the entire foundation of what that one side stands for loses all credibility.

Very strange logic you are having . Why Crimea TV is being banned ?

If Russian Federation can ban the only Crimean tv Channel of ethinic Crimean people in the name of curbing propaganda then if the same a country like Lithuania does then why it should be a problem ?

I think it was an unified step taken by the NATO alliance and EU . By the way that Russian TV is registered in Sweden and even Sweden has tough time because of the Russian Submarine in Swedish water as well as the air violations.

Very strange logic you are having . Why Crimea TV is being banned ?

If Russian Federation can ban the only Crimean tv Channel of ethinic Crimean people in the name of curbing propaganda then if the same a country like Lithuania does then why it should be a problem ?

What logic? Read what i wrote carefully. I clearly stated that freedom and democracy should be honored meaning i do not support banning any stations. The problem i have is the hypocrisy coming out of europe and as well as from Obama.

I think it was an unified step taken by the NATO alliance and EU . By the way that Russian TV is registered in Sweden and even Sweden has tough time because of the Russian Submarine in Swedish water as well as the air violations.

Every time a Russian aircraft flies in international airspace europe cries its a "violation".

What logic? Read what i wrote carefully. I clearly stated that freedom and democracy should be honored meaning i do not support banning any stations. The problem i have is the hypocrisy coming out of europe and as well as from Obama.

Every time a Russian aircraft flies in international airspace europe cries its a "violation".

That Submarine incident and the Air violation and spying by Russian diplomatic staff etc. But here its not any hypocrisy , lines are being drawn and each and every country who are part of NATO or allies of NATO are coming out with evidence against Russian Federation.

We should not overlook the statement issued by the Swedish Intelligence agency , SAPO .

The chief analyst of SAPO's counterintelligence agency, Wilhelm Unge, said in Stockholm on March 18 that and as many as one-third of Russia's diplomatic staff in Sweden were spies.

Speaking to reporters as the agency presented its annual security report, Unge added that the number was constant, saying "this is the way things look year after year."

He said the Russian spies came from the military intelligence, GRU, and the Federal Security Service, FSB, and described them as "highly educated and often younger than during the Soviet era."

Unge said SAPO had stopped several attempts last year by Russia to obtain Swedish technology for its military forces.

Good decision .I have access to information from Moldova,the amount of garbage,sheer lies and warmongering Russian tv stations flood their news stream is staggering.99% of their reports are lies,exagerations and criminal war propaganda.Russian tv makes Goebels propaganda look like children playing.All Russian tv stations,news outlets should be banned in the West and the people working for them sent to prison for terrorism .

Just like we don't have Nazi tv on air we shouldn't have this Russian garbage lying to people non stop.

That Submarine incident and the Air violation and spying by Russian diplomatic staff etc. But here its not any hypocrisy , lines are being drawn and each and every country who are part of NATO or allies of NATO are coming out with evidence against Russian Federation.

Like I mentioned flying in international airspace is not a violation and it certainly is not "european airspace". As for violations, it has happened on all sides, Soviet airspace and territorial waters were frequently violated. There are plenty of examples of the Soviets shooting down NATO aircraft in their airspace and ramming ships in their waters.

As for spying everyone does it. Even Merkel which was upset about the US spying on her had German intelligence spy on her political opponents.

We should not overlook the statement issued by the Swedish Intelligence agency , SAPO .

The chief analyst of SAPO's counterintelligence agency, Wilhelm Unge, said in Stockholm on March 18 that and as many as one-third of Russia's diplomatic staff in Sweden were spies.

What is your point? Diplomats from most countries have been known to be spies for decades. There are plenty of european and US spies that have been arrested in Russia and many more instances where Russia had proof that foreign spies have hacked into Russian computers or stole sensitive information. The problem is that you are fixated on Russia's spying as if they are the only ones who do it.

Good decision .I have access to information from Moldova,the amount of garbage,sheer lies and warmongering Russian tv stations flood their news stream is staggering.99% of their reports are lies,exagerations and criminal war propaganda.Russian tv makes Goebels propaganda look like children playing.All Russian tv stations,news outlets should be banned in the West and the people working for them sent to prison for terrorism .

Just like we don't have Nazi tv on air we shouldn't have this Russian garbage lying to people non stop.

Have you ever considered that the other side sees your news as "garbage,sheer lies and warmongering" and that 99% of your stories are sheer lies to?

Like I mentioned flying in international airspace is not a violation and it certainly is not "european airspace". As for violations, it has happened on all sides, Soviet airspace and territorial waters were frequently violated. There are plenty of examples of the Soviets shooting down NATO aircraft in their airspace and ramming ships in their waters.

Russian Federation submarine was in the waters of Sweden which was alarmed the Swedish military overall.

You are talking about Soviets or Russians ?

As for spying everyone does it. Even Merkel which was upset about the US spying on her had German intelligence spy on her political opponents.

NSA has been blamed for everything in EU because of the internal situation. These claims and counter claims were made because of the wiki leaks. United states is on high alert when its about the security of NATO alliance.

What is your point? Diplomats from most countries have been known to be spies for decades. There are plenty of european and US spies that have been arrested in Russia and many more instances where Russia had proof that foreign spies have hacked into Russian computers or stole sensitive information. The problem is that you are fixated on Russia's spying as if they are the only ones who do it.

I am not denying about that but the war in Ukraine and annexation of Crimea has made NATO member countries to go on high alert. EU countries gave easy access to CSTO countries which has resulted in all this because of which ordinary civilians have to suffer.

Russian Federation submarine was in the waters of Sweden which was alarmed the Swedish military overall.

You are talking about Soviets or Russians ?

And where is that submarine? Russia also has claimed many violations, just in August a presumably US submarine violated Russian waters.

NSA has been blamed for everything in EU because of the internal situation. These claims and counter claims were made because of the wiki leaks. United states is on high alert when its about the security of NATO alliance.

So you accuse Russia of spying but it's okay for the US to spy because they are only accused by wiki leaks? Google US spies arrested in Russia.

I am not denying about that but the war in Ukraine and annexation of Crimea has made NATO member countries to go on high alert. EU countries gave easy access to CSTO countries which has resulted in all this because of which ordinary civilians have to suffer.

Taking Crimea was a response to the events in Maiden, everyone knows the US was primarily responsible for overthrowing the Ukrainian government, they do not even deny it any more, powerful US figures were at Maiden square encouraging protesters, meeting with Ukrainian opposition and openly admitting to funding Ukrainian "democracy". It also does not help that people like Nuland were wire tapped speaking about who they were going to install as a puppet leader in Ukraine which just so happens to be prime minister right now.

And where is that submarine? Russia also has claimed many violations, just in August a presumably US submarine violated Russian waters.

Sweden's military spokesman confirmed on Jan. 11 that the country had carried out a second search for a suspected Russian submarine just shortly after a high-profile sub hunt concluded in late October.

Military spokesman Jesper Tengroth confirmed that Sweden carried out a second search for a Russian submarine on Oct. 31, 2014. This second search occurred just a week after Sweden called off a failed search for a suspected Russian submarine that had infiltrated Swedish waters off the Stockholm Archipelago.

One of Mrs. Kviman's photo of the reported submarine.
screen%20shot%202015-01-15%20at%204.56.00%20pm.png

So you accuse Russia of spying but it's okay for the US to spy because they are only accused by wiki leaks? Google US spies arrested in Russia.

I am not accusing anyone just following the news events .

We cant deny the wars which is being waged in Middle east, Latin America, Africa and Asia.

Taking Crimea was a response to the events in Maiden, everyone knows the US was primarily responsible for overthrowing the Ukrainian government, they do not even deny it any more, powerful US figures were at Maiden square encouraging protesters, meeting with Ukrainian opposition and openly admitting to funding Ukrainian "democracy". It also does not help that people like Nuland were wire tapped speaking about who they were going to install as a puppet leader in Ukraine which just so happens to be prime minister right now.

No, United States was not behind the Maiden protests , the reason behind the Maiden protests were the Kharkiv accord and the Gas wars and the huge corruption which has followed. Why is Ex President of Ukraine has fed to Russian Federation ? Why Russian Federation has protected him and not Saddam and Gadaffi ?

One of Mrs. Kviman's photo of the reported submarine.
screen%20shot%202015-01-15%20at%204.56.00%20pm.png

It's lock ness monster

lock.jpg

Look it's big foot

bigfoot.jpg

No, United States was not behind the Maiden protests , the reason behind the Maiden protests were the Kharkiv accord and the Gas wars and the huge corruption which has followed. Why is Ex President of Ukraine has fed to Russian Federation ? Why Russian Federation has protected him and not Saddam and Gadaffi ?

US politicians just got lost and ended up on Maiden square, where they had meetings with opposition leaders all the while there was fake clones of those politicians admitting to funding "Ukrainian democracy" and those wire taps of Victoria Nuland discussing the puppet she wanted to install was uummmm those were fake i guess. No US involvement whatsoever. :lol:

It's lock ness monster

2 incidents occured regarding Submarine in Swedeish waters.
The search focused on Ingaro Bay - about 30,000 islands make up the Stockholm archipelago
14 November 2014
_78446378_sweden_sub_map624.jpg

US politicians just got lost and ended up on Maiden square, where they had meetings with opposition leaders all the while there was fake clones of those politicians admitting to funding "Ukrainian democracy" and those wire taps of Victoria Nuland discussing the puppet she wanted to install was uummmm those were fake i guess. No US involvement whatsoever. :lol:

Those Maiden protests increased because of the events in Crimea and the corruption scandels.

Why have Russian Federation not helped Saddam and Gadaffi but helped Ex Ukrainian President ?

Sorry but why do you guys even care to give it a moralistic touch? I want to see russia suffer and i see russia as the enemy of europe. I dont even try to sugarcoat this.

I haven't seen their channels, but i have seen fox news. "99% of their reports are lies,exagerations and criminal war propaganda.Russian tv makes Goebels propaganda look like children playing." Everything you mentioned is applicable to Fox News, did they also ban Fox News?

Sorry but why do you guys even care to give it a moralistic touch? I want to see russia suffer and i see russia as the enemy of europe. I dont even try to sugarcoat this.

I live there and even saw which no one would ever like to see. Real Hybird war and even the attitude of the governments and the people instead of helping each other all were playing with lifes.

Back
Top Bottom