Leopard 2A7+ for Saudi Arabia

Mosamania

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
Germany to sell tanks to Saudi Arabia: report
(AFP) – 8 hours ago
BERLIN — Germany has allowed the sale of 200 Leopard tanks to Saudi Arabia after decades of blocking heavy weapons sales to the kingdom, the Der Spiegel said Saturday.
The federal security council approved the sale last week, the weekly news magazine said without citing sources.
The Saudis want to buy 200 Leopard 2A7+ tanks in an order potentially worth billions of euros to companies Kraus-Maffei and Rheinmetall, Der Spiegel said.
The kingdom was in talks with the Spanish subsidiary of General Dynamics about buying their version of the Leopard tank, but the major portion of the order will land with the Germans, the magazine said.
Since the 1980's, Germany has blocked the sale of Leopard 2 tanks to Saudi Arabia, afraid the equipment would be used against Israel.
The Saudis are also in talks with US companies for 60 billion dollars worth (41 billion euros) of defence equipment that would become the largest US contract ever.
The order is to include 84 new F-15 fighter jets and 178 combat helicopters.

leopard2c.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

leopardr.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Good Tanks, this will also finally prove if contract is sign that saudi arabia is no longer looking into Pakistan's Al-Khalid Tanks.

Good Tanks, this will also finally prove if contract is sign that saudi arabia is no longer looking into Pakistan's Al-Khalid Tanks.

Someone in the Saudi forum said something about buying a number of Al-Khalid tanks and giving it to Morocco as a gift so it would hit two birds with one stone. He did not provide a link however.

Gotta love the Leopard . It's one of the best if not the best tank ever .

However, I feel a bit let down as all of our major military deals include a technology transfer part amounting to at least 30 % of the total value . So why not this one ?

Gotta love the Leopard . It's one of the best if not the best tank ever .

However, I feel a bit let down as all of our major military deals include a technology transfer part amounting to at least 30 % of the total value . So why not this one ?

germans blocked them for decades...how can the saudis forget all that and buy defence equipment from a country who can block them again and are unreliable in this matter......

well, you also need to know that a country doesnt buy tanks just to buy it!

they choose the tank wich can adopt the enviroment and the situation best. i could say "oh well god, this means saudis wont buy Altay MBT", that isnt the case. they buy what they need to, although what mosamania said about getting them and give them as gifts to morocco was nice to hear!

No offence but these will be placed in some desert n rot with time.

No offence but these will be placed in some desert n rot with time.

These are a safeguard against Iran if it tries to get unpredictable anytime. What are you expecting Saudis to do with them? Invade Israel with German weapons? That would mean immediate clampdown on the supply of these weapons again.

These are a safeguard against Iran if it tries to get unpredictable anytime. What are you expecting Saudis to do with them? Invade Israel with German weapons? That would mean immediate clampdown on the supply of these weapons again.

KSA wouldnt go to war even in the next 2000 years....... These r just for show just like their jets etc which r flown by foriegn militaries.

I am not usually a war monger but I would love to see saudies in a war with anyone. And some of these weapons used in anger. Buying expensive weapons does not necessarily mean much if you dont have the perssonel to use them. I have a english person who works for me and in the eighties he used to work for marconi and gec and he used to go as a trainer/teacher for the radars installed in saudies and he stated that saudies did not make good students. I wander if they have changed much today.

So we do not have the right to defend ourselves?? The MBT issue we have been hacing for some time. we bought the M1A2s but they were too expensive gas guzzling and the Americans downgraded them. (No DU) layer.

So we talked to Spain to give us the best tank out there without any downgrading. While most people here are furious with the idea that we are arming ourselves like we are going to be their enemy one day. I am actually happy that we are getting what is reputed to be the best tank in the world. to replace our pattons amd the AMX-30s we have. and let those be kept as reserve.

So we do not have the right to defend ourselves?? The MBT issue we have been hacing for some time. we bought the M1A2s but they were too expensive gas guzzling and the Americans downgraded them. (No DU) layer.

So we talked to Spain to give us the best tank out there without any downgrading. While most people here are furious with the idea that we are arming ourselves like we are going to be their enemy one day. I am actually happy that we are getting what is reputed to be the best tank in the world. to replace our pattons amd the AMX-30s we have. and let those be kept as reserve.

3 questions.

- isn't m1a2 abrams the worlds best tank

- does spain produce any mbt?

3 questions.

1-m1a2s after years of trials have been found that the version we got from the USA was not only downgraded but it had also high maintenance cost.
2-Spain makes the Leopard 2 under license from Germany since the Germans have always had a rule not to supply ME countries with weapons we are going to get through spain this articles only says that germany gave its blessings on the deal. The Saudi Forum after some digging say that we are not getting 200 but 264 Tanks.

3 questions.

M1 Abrams engine really sucks a lot of gas. That's gas turbine engines for ya.

Many EU countries have licensed production of the Leo 2.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom