What's new

Leopard 2, Germany

Arjun weighs 58.5 tonnes compared to Leo 2's 62.3 tonnes, but arjun is still considered too heavy.

Su, 58 vs. 62 is not that much of a difference. The difference in the weight argument takes prominence when you are talking about 48 tons vs. 58 or 62 tons. (AK vs Arjun vs Leo2). As you can see, a 10 ton difference is a fairly significant one. At that point, you go on and decide on what approach to tank design you want to take. Maybe a much lighter tank does not provide you with enough protection, or a heavier tank is too cumbersome on the battlefield etc. etc.

I think Pakistan and India have problems that are not necessarily with the ability to use such heavy tanks in these regions like the Thar and Rajhastan, rather these problems have more to do with the lack of infrastructure to support such heavy vehicles.

When the first analysis of the Yom Kippur War of 1973 became available, it became clear that increased armor protection would be a decisive factor in the future

AK is lighter, has survivability for the crew, for the tank itself increased?

I think Pakistan and India have problems that are not necessarily with the ability to use such heavy tanks in these regions like the Thar and Rajhastan, rather these problems have more to do with the lack of infrastructure to support such heavy vehicles.

Is there a transportation problem you mean? Even the Chinese are now getting bulky tanks.

Is there a transportation problem you mean? Even the Chinese are now getting bulky tanks.

Yes. The rolling stock (rail etc.) cannot support the dimensions and weight of the tanks. Bridges and roads have not been built to support such heavy machines etc. In Pakistan and India, most of the armour has to be moved around in trains. Neither country has an airlift capability able to handle tank transport.

Last edited:
heres a bit of folk-lore
in the late 80s the americans were so desperate to sell the abrams tank to PA, that they offered to re-build all the small and medium bridges (over irrigation canals) one sees in pakistan's punjab province.

after ak leo 2 is my favourite and leopard is definatley better than challanger 2 t 90 and abram

Yes. The rolling stock (rail etc.) cannot support the dimensions and weight of the tanks. Bridges and roads have not been built to support such heavy machines etc. In Pakistan and India, most of the armour has to be moved around in trains. Neither country has an airlift capability able to handle tank transport.

True, i have seen trains loaded with tanks, going from sahiwal to okara, a few times.

after 170 piece of sabra 3 tanks current best turkish tank is german leopard 2 a4s.turkey has around 339-340 leo2 and around 400-410 leopard1.

our 340 leo2a4s has gone under some upgrades and what i ve heard from some forum that this updates ll be spectacular.not only fcs and machine gun upgrades also turkish leopard2a4s ll have additional reactive armour upgrade maybe mortar upgrade too or they can be mounted with umtas or kornet e missiles.it ll be interesting upgrade.as soon as fotos ll be in the public i ll post the pics here.

about leopard tank costs

new series such as 2a5pso or 2a6ex or 2a6can around 7-10 million dollars.

leopard series tanks has some of the best features.

they are
best engine mtu
best armour technology
best main gun
also they are using best shells such as dm53-63

but i would prefer turkish,israeli,korean fire control systems over germans.

so all of them makes leopard series best tank of the world.

second would be korean k2.

turkish altay ll be excellent tank too.
it ll have
turkish aselsan fire control system technology
german mtu engine
german l55 main gun
turkish-korean armour
german renk transmission
korean auto loader system etc etc

but why nuts uae went for laclerc when they can get a buildozer fighting machine like leopard 2 it is proven too

I am not sure exactly why they chose the le clerc, but I don't seem to recall the Leo being used in any desert terrain yet and hence we don't know its capabilities.

But I know the Danes recently employed their Leos in the Helmand province in A'stan.

Back
Top Bottom