KSA, France to sign billions in ship, plane, nuclear deals

Saif al-Arab

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia

file-24-6093154109051647.jpg
French Foreign Affairs minister Laurent Fabius (R) shakes hands with Saudi Prince and Defense minister Mohamed Bin Salman Bin Abdul Aziz Al Saoud, after a press conference on June 24, 2015 at the ministry in Paris. AFP PHOTO / LOIC VENANCE (PERSONAL EDIT: Wrong AFP, that photo is of Adel al-Jubeir the Foreign Minister of KSA!)

AGENCIES

Published — Wednesday 24 June 2015

Last update 24 June 2015 6:15 pm

PARIS: Saudi and French officials are finalizing negotiations on contracts for patrol ships, border guard helicopters, planes and two possible nuclear reactors worth more than $12 billion.
The announcement comes during a high-level Saudi visit to France on Wednesday, as Saudi Arabia is leading a military campaign against extremists in neighboring Yemen.
A slew of deals worth billions of euros were announced following the first “Franco-Saudi Joint Commission” meeting in Paris, led by Saudi Deputy Crown Prince and Defense Minister Prince Mohamed bin Salman and French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius.
France said it would look into building two nuclear reactors in Saudi Arabia, which is part of some $12 billion (10.7 billion euros) in deals .
Under one of the agreements Airbus will sell 23 h-145 multipurpose helicopters to Saudi Arabia for 500 million euros ($560 million) as well as launch a feasibility study into building the reactors, Fabius said.
Fabius also mentioned the Saudi Arabian Airlines order for 50 Airbus passenger planes worth some $8 billion, first announced at last week’s Paris Air Show.
The reactor study takes on added significance given the current efforts by Saudi Arabia’s rival, Iran, to develop its own nuclear capabilities.
France has been reinforcing links with the kingdom, while Riyadh is keen to broaden its ties with Western powers beyond its traditional alliance with the United States.
Prince Salman was set to meet French President Francois Hollande later on Wednesday.
Last week, Prince Salman led a delegation to Russia, during which the kingdom signed a number of strategic military, nuclear and oil agreements.

KSA, France to sign billions in ship, plane deals | Arab News

Last edited:
Saudi Arabia and France ink $12bln deal
5069e59b-1c82-491b-9674-3d80b47de4c3_16x9_600x338.jpg

Saudi Arabia’s Defense Minister and Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman shakes hands with French President Francois Hollande during his official visit to Paris. (Exclusive Al Arabiya photo by Bandar Al-Jalooud)
By Staff writer | Al Arabiya News
Wednesday, 24 June 2015

Saudi Arabia and France agreed Wednesday to sign $12 billion of deals, Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubair said during a landmark visit by Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to Paris.

Jubair, who was speaking during a press conference with his French counterpart, said that arms agreements with France were among Wednesday’s discussions.

French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said that the ten contracts include 23 Airbus H145 helicopters worth $500 million.

The H145, previously known as the EC145, is a light twin-engine helicopter typically used for emergency services and border patrols.

Nuclear reactors
Fabius also said that Saudi Arabia was planning to sign off on a feasibility study for the construction of two nuclear reactors in the kingdom with France.

Speaking about the nuclear reactors, Jubeir said that Saudi Arabia was keen to acquire advanced technology from France.

Meanwhile, Reuters reported that the Saudi defense ministry was also discussing the price for a contract for French naval patrol boats, built by DCNS.

According to Al Arabiya New sources these contracts, which highlight Paris growing ties with Riyadh, are “the first signs of a much stronger Saudi-French alliance, and the next few months are going to demonstrate exactly just how close these two allies have now become.”

The sources say the swift agreement to invest these huge sums are also a sign of a determined and focused Saudi policy making; as they come only a few weeks after French President Francois Hollande was invited by Saudi Arabia last May to address a GCC summit in Saudi Arabia, a role not often given to a foreign head of state.

Another Al Arabiya News source with access to the details of the deal also revealed that apart from a billion dollars set aside for direct purchases, the remaining $11 billion are going to take the form of a direct investment and that all deals were negotiated between officials directly without any middlemen.

“The Saudis bought the helicopters because they were reasonably priced but they did decline other offers,” added the source.

Last Update: Thursday, 25 June 2015 KSA 23:40 - GMT 20:40

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/Ne...di-Arabia-to-ink-12bln-arms-deal.html#slide=5

Last edited:

file-24-6093154109051647.jpg
French Foreign Affairs minister Laurent Fabius (R) shakes hands with Saudi Prince and Defense minister Mohamed Bin Salman Bin Abdul Aziz Al Saoud, after a press conference on June 24, 2015 at the ministry in Paris. AFP PHOTO / LOIC VENANCE

AGENCIES

Published — Wednesday 24 June 2015

Last update 24 June 2015 6:15 pm

PARIS: Saudi and French officials are finalizing negotiations on contracts for patrol ships, border guard helicopters, planes and two possible nuclear reactors worth more than $12 billion.
The announcement comes during a high-level Saudi visit to France on Wednesday, as Saudi Arabia is leading a military campaign against extremists in neighboring Yemen.
A slew of deals worth billions of euros were announced following the first “Franco-Saudi Joint Commission” meeting in Paris, led by Saudi Deputy Crown Prince and Defense Minister Prince Mohamed bin Salman and French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius.
France said it would look into building two nuclear reactors in Saudi Arabia, which is part of some $12 billion (10.7 billion euros) in deals .
Under one of the agreements Airbus will sell 23 h-145 multipurpose helicopters to Saudi Arabia for 500 million euros ($560 million) as well as launch a feasibility study into building the reactors, Fabius said.
Fabius also mentioned the Saudi Arabian Airlines order for 50 Airbus passenger planes worth some $8 billion, first announced at last week’s Paris Air Show.
The reactor study takes on added significance given the current efforts by Saudi Arabia’s rival, Iran, to develop its own nuclear capabilities.
France has been reinforcing links with the kingdom, while Riyadh is keen to broaden its ties with Western powers beyond its traditional alliance with the United States.
Prince Salman was set to meet French President Francois Hollande later on Wednesday.
Last week, Prince Salman led a delegation to Russia, during which the kingdom signed a number of strategic military, nuclear and oil agreements.

KSA, France to sign billions in ship, plane deals | Arab News

Good. Put this stuff to good use. Hope it serves people of KSA well.

This is kind of sad if Pakistan had sold them something the news would have been told differently....A new kind of sanction is by sheer mockery!

Good For France , build them for 3 billion , get 12 Billion for them.
and about the reactor , I don't get it why they need both French and Russia design it only complicate
the training and maintenance and increase the cost , it seems it was better if they bought the reactors
from Russia or France not both of them.

Good For France , build them for 3 billion , get 12 Billion for them.
and about the reactor , I don't get it why they need both French and Russia design it only complicate
the training and maintenance and increase the cost , it seems it was better if they bought the reactors
from Russia or France not both of them.

I don't think that you understand the nature of this agreement or that with Russia. Or in general what you are blabbering about. I think that the leadership of KSA knows pretty damn well what they are doing. Some butthurt Iranian writing on PDF or not.

I suggest reading up about nuclear energy in KSA and the deals, agreements and cooperation with numerous countries (France, USA, South Korea, China, Japan and now Russia).

KSA knows perfectly well what they are doing.

Nuclear energy is necessary for KSA for many reasons. I have explained them in detail in several threads among them this one below.

KSA taps the sun to meet a third of its energy needs | Page 5

KSA does not make every single detail public.

Saudi Arabia signs nuclear deal with South Korea - ArabianBusiness.com

Japan Sign Nuclear Cooperation Deals with UAE and Saudi Arabia to Secure Oil Supplies | OilPrice.com

Saudi Arabia, China Sign Nuclear Cooperation Pact - WSJ

100's of other such links and many more recent ones too.

In short, this link below explains it well too.

Nuclear Power in Saudi Arabia

More articles:

Saudi Arabia Fast-Tracks Nuclear Power - Forbes

Here's why Saudi Arabia needs nuclear power

In short you have clearly not even read the two articles for God's sake.:lol:

Last edited:
I don't think that you understand the nature of this agreement or that with Russia. Or in general what you are blabbering about. I think that the leadership of KSA knows pretty damn well what they are doing. Some butthurt Iranian writing on PDF or not.

I suggest reading up about nuclear energy in KSA and the deals, agreements and cooperation with numerous countries (France, USA, South Korea, China, Japan and now Russia).

Nuclear energy is necessary for KSA for many reasons. I have explained them in detail in several threads among them this one below.

Japan Sign Nuclear Cooperation Deals with UAE and Saudi Arabia to Secure Oil Supplies | OilPrice.com

More articles:

well it seems that somebody assume wrong , and is it your new strategy that not answering the question just post
some random unrelated threads ?
by the way your links seems to support my question about strangeness of KSA behavior that instead of using 1-2
design it seems that they want to get at least ten different design .
the strange part is that it won't provide any benefit it only add to costs.

and many times I have told you guys those unrelated smilies only show childishness .

well it seems that somebody assume wrong , and is it your new strategy that not answering the question just post
some random unrelated threads ?
by the way your links seems to support my question about strangeness of KSA behavior that instead of using 1-2
design it seems that they want to get at least ten different design .
the strange part is that it won't provide any benefit it only add to costs.

and many times I have told you guys those unrelated smilies only show childishness .

You are with all due respect unfamiliar with the topic and you reading this article or a few others won't make you an expert. As I told you KSA knows perfectly well what they are doing.

None of my articles posted are "unrelated" to the subject that you kickstarted which was nuclear energy.

Lastly I suggest you to closely reread the two articles posted in post 1 and 2 of this thread. Then you will realize that your post number 6 in this thread makes no sense.

My impression is that you like most other Iranian users are only commenting to troll threads like you do with almost all threads dealing with Arab matters. Strange and childish behavior.

Last edited:
You are with all due respect unfamiliar with the topic and you reading this article or a few others won't make you an expert. As I told you KSA knows perfectly well what they are doing.

None of my articles posted are "unrelated" to the subject that you kickstarted which was nuclear energy.

Lastly I suggest you to closely reread the two articles posted in post 1 and 2 of this thread. Then you will realize that your post number 6 in this thread makes no sense.

My impression is that you like most other Iranian users are only comment to troll threads like you do with almost all threads dealing with Arab matters. Strange and childish behavior.
and it seems you didn't understand what I said and think that I question KSA needs for Nuclear energy.

and it seems you didn't understand what I said and think that I question KSA needs for Nuclear energy.

No, I understood perfectly well what you wrote and what you wrote is inaccurate and based on a lack of knowledge about the subject at hand. KSA cooperating with several leading nuclear powers in the nuclear energy sector does not mean that KSA will not COORDINATE the knowledge gained from that cooperation when building the nuclear reactors and the necessary infrastructure to gain full self-sufficiency.

Also if you had actually bothered to read the articles closely as I told you, you would have noticed the following details before commenting:

"Another Al Arabiya News source with access to the details of the deal also revealed that apart from a billion dollars set aside for direct purchases, the remaining $11 billion are going to take the form of a direct investment and that all deals were negotiated between officials directly without any middlemen.

“The Saudis bought the helicopters because they were reasonably priced but they did decline other offers,” added the source."

"PARIS: Saudi and French officials are finalizing negotiations on contracts for patrol ships, border guard helicopters, planes and two possible nuclear reactors worth more than $12 billion."

Anyway I am engaged in a silly and unnecessary discussion with yet another Iranian user. I thought that you were one of the few more serious Iranian users.

Last edited:

More articles:

None between Pakistan and KSA!

if Pakistan had sold them something
Fat chance!

They do not like our junk. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom