What's new

KPK Reliance on foreign assistance continues

Shabaz Sharif

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
PESHAWAR: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government continues its reliance on foreign assistance in its Annual Development Programme (ADP) for fiscal year 2014-15 as it has projected Rs39.75 billion as foreign assistance, which is 28 per cent of its 139.80 billion proposed ADP.

The foreign assistance component mentioned in the white paper for the next fiscal includes Rs31.49 billion grant and Rs8.27 billion as loan. The provincial component in the proposed ADP is Rs100.05 billion, which is 71.5 per cent of the total ADP.

In the current provincial budget 2013-14 the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf-led coalition government, which often talks of reducing dependency on foreign aid, had projected the foreign assistance of Rs35 billion, which was 30 per cent of then Rs118 billion ADP. However, revised estimates of the current fiscal year showed that the provincial government received total foreign projects assistance of Rs21.06 billion, which is 20 per cent of the revised total development expenditure of Rs104.84 billion.

The proposed foreign assistance will be allocated for 75 projects in 16 sectors. According to the white paper 2014-15, the major chunk of foreign assistance of Rs11.79 billion (30 per cent of the foreign assistance) will go to 29 projects of the elementary and secondary education in the next fiscal year. Similarly, foreign aid of Rs7.68 billion (19 per cent) will be spent on five projects of road construction, whereas Rs4.73 billion (12 per cent) is projected to be spent on 10 projects of regional developments.

Furthermore, seven projects of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa home department will receive foreign assistance of Rs3.61 billion (nine per cent); Rs2.93 billion (7.3 percent) is projected for uitilisation in six projects of health department; and Rs2.61 billion (seven per cent) in energy and power sector. Other sectors, which will receive foreign assistance include agriculture, finance, forestry, industries, law and justice, research and development, social welfare, sports and tourism, and urban development.

The white paper projects the DFID (Department for International Development) and EU as major donors as they will be spending Rs11.53 billion. The DFID and EU will also separately utilise Rs1.56 billion and Rs2.28 billion, respectively.

Published in Dawn, June 15th, 2014

Pti is one hypocrate party, i clearly remember their bongias of foreign aid before elections. Looks like free money for development doesnt hurt anyone does it?

define foreign assistance :unsure:

Pti is one hypocrate party, i clearly remember their bongias of foreign aid before elections. Looks like free money for development doesnt hurt anyone does it?

Free money is fine but if it is with strings then yea that is scary but if it is all going to development instead of pocketing then what is the problem? Isnt NS also living off foreign aid most projects going to his friends, own company and own empire few going left and right? The only thing that matters is public benefits!

Free money is fine but if it is with strings then yea that is scary but if it is all going to development instead of pocketing then what is the problem? Isnt NS also living off foreign aid most projects going to his friends, own company and own empire few going left and right? The only thing that matters is public benefits!
1- Its not military equipment.
2- Its called covanents which restrict the aid to be strictly employed for the purpose for which it was obtained.
3- With national savings generation not picking up with the growth sustainability requirements its only natural that external capital plugs the gap. But one needs to see this from the prospective of economics rather than politics. But apparently, PTI supporters are so undecided that they blur the two prespectives often resulting in a facepalm in the end. I can remember the loud opposition to setting up infrastructure and BRT and making Lahore the development model but apparently KPK government had to resort to this as well because it is a successful and logical economic model.

1- Its not military equipment.
2- Its called covanents which restrict the aid to be strictly employed for the purpose for which it was obtained.
3- With national savings generation not picking up with the growth sustainability requirements its only natural that external capital plugs the gap. But one needs to see this from the prospective of economics rather than politics. But apparently, PTI supporters are so undecided that they blur the two prespectives often resulting in a facepalm in the end. I can remember the loud opposition to setting up infrastructure and BRT and making Lahore the development model but apparently KPK government had to resort to this as well because it is a successful and logical economic model.

Until and unless there is corruption of some form or there are strings attached to the money coming in my question is still valid:
what is wrong with this? and ended with this:
The only thing that matters is public benefits!

Until and unless there is corruption of some form or there are strings attached to the money coming in my question is still valid:
what is wrong with this? and ended with this:
The only thing that matters is public benefits!
1- Corruption is the problem at the end of receiver, not the donor.
2- Why do you expect someone to just hand over the money to a receiver to spend as he please?

1- Corruption is the problem at the end of receiver, not the donor.
2- Why do you expect someone to just hand over the money to a receiver to spend as he please?
1) Unless you can prove there is no corruption going on in other cities or officials or other ministry I dont see why the shock when it is occurring in another? Haan I always did voice out that IK should kick out those goons he picked picked up from other parties...they should just be taken out of Politics and vapourized...literally vanish!

2) well that is called aid otherwise its called favor or bribery! :coffee:

Back
Top Bottom