What's new

Korean athlete uses laser pointer to prank on Chinese leader during Youth Olympic ceremony

tonyget

Reaction score
Country
China
Korean Laser Pointer Incident at Nanjing Youth Olympics - chinaSMACK

Translated below is a first-hand account of an incident that occurred during the closing ceremony of the recent Nanjing Youth Olympics in which an athelete from the South Korean delegation purportedly repeatedly shined a laser pointer at Chinese Premier Li Keqiang’s face.

Many of the posts online related to this incident have been and continue to be quickly deleted, with Chinese netizens equally vexed by both the incident itself and the subsequent government censorship of the incident. During translation, the incident trended on Chinese social network Sina Weibo under the hashtag #Koreans, apologize to our Premier#, which has also since been deleted.

From Sina Weibo: (since deleted)

On-Site Witness Relates Youth Olympic Games Laser Pointer Incident
The incident: during the closing ceremony of the Nanjing Youth Olympics there was a shameful incident. The Chinese Premier, President of the International Olympic Committee Thomas Bach, flag bearers and performers were all flashed in the eyes with a laser pointer.

It was raining today and the armed police had been standing guard for over 2 hours. Many of the performers had to perform in the rain, and many of the security guards worked from 4 am until 12 am. Everyone was busy to bring the Olympics to a close and we did it! We successfully held the 2nd Youth Olympics.

But there was a unharmonious episode. Director Li Weiya had asked again and again for the audience to not point laser pointers at the stage because it can impact the live broadcast and cause problems for the large performance, but there was one genius who shined a laser at the Chinese Premier during his entrance, causing malicious trouble.

I initially did not want to expose this, but he kept doing this over and over again that I can no longer tolerate it. He pointed the laser at the Premier, President Bach, and the eyes of the flag bearers and performers. What reason could there be left to forgive/overlook this?

I tried to use my camera to pinpoint his location but my resolution was too low and since he was in the international athlete section, not having clear evidence would just cause further problems, and it isn’t as you can search each perso one by one. It was this moment that a photographer showed me a high resolution photo that he had taken from a high resolution camera. This photographer friend had had enough of it long ago, and instead of photographing the performance, he had waited to capture [the culprit] in the act. He kindly lent us his phone with the photo, and we took the phone to the police and then on to section 28-29.

At the gate, I stopped a Korean person who looked a lot like the guy in the picture. “the man is you?” “no no”. So we looked one by one, but because Koreans all look alike, we had to look for the girl that sat in front of him in the picture before we found him and I showed the photos to his coach.

tZRsS0Q.png

IFd89fY.jpg

cAgpvv9.jpg

G1lxJ7d.jpg

juvenile behaviour. other people sitting beside him should have told him to stop.

Very childish. One must not disrespect elders any time. When you are representing your country, one must be extra careful.

If he wanted to troll, He should have done it properly. He should have used a red laser dot that looks like a sniper aiming for a kill

Can we stop with the generalizations and extrapolations about how this makes Korea a terrible country or a bad partner, etc? That Korean kid was an idiot and IMO, the PAP should have had words with him just so he'd soil his pants and remember not to try something like that again. But it's still just a dumb kid doing dumb kid things.

Back
Top Bottom