What's new

Kongsberg NSM to equip Indian MH-60R helicopters

Fenrir

Reaction score
Country
Norway

https://www.janes.com/article/87653/kongsberg-nsm-to-equip-indian-mh-60r-helicopters

The Indian Navy appears poised to become the first customer for the Kongsberg Naval Strike Missile (NSM) in a helicopter-launched application.

According to US Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) documentation, the missile will be integrated into Lockheed Martin/Sikorsky MH-60R multimission helicopters that India is looking to acquire under a Foreign Military Sale (FMS) case.

NSM was originally developed by Kongsberg to meet the Royal Norwegian Navy's requirements for a highly discriminative, low-observable surface-to-surface guided weapon able to penetrate shipboard defences and operate effectively in blue water and littoral environments. Capable of ranges up to 200 km, it combines GPS-aided midcourse guidance with an advanced dual-band imaging infrared seeker.

Another big win for Norway. India joins The United States Army and Navy, Japan, Australia, Malaysia, Poland, Germany and Norway itself as the users of the NSM/JSM family of anti-ship/land-attack missiles. JSM is the first land-attack missile Japan has bought or produced since its post-war constitution.

Designed from the ground up with all aspect stealth, NSM's advanced composite body, strictly passive seekers, low weight and small size make it an immense challenge for even the most well defended foes.

nsm%20launch%20e3%20knm%20gnist%207.t5242a63c.m1200.xElNS3id2.jpg

nsm%20launch%20e3%20knm%20gnist%206.t5242a67a.m1200.xmkbm6rf6.jpg

20130605__PEDERTORPMATHISEN_005.t51aefe24.m800.xOJfnYKK6.jpg

O_PEDERTORPMATHISEN_001.t51aefe2c.m800.xridIcEBX.JPG

O_PEDERTORPMATHISEN_002.t51aefe1a.m800.xGc2LA1oU.JPG

O_PEDERTORPMATHISEN_003.t51aefe1e.m800.x66rduqx8.JPG

O_PEDERTORPMATHISEN_004.t51aefe24.m800.xq7ol9iki.JPG

despite its diminutive size and weight, the warhead of NSM is equivilent to that of Harpoon, despite being under half the size due to its unique chemical makeup. NSM is primarly an anti-shipping weapon, but can perform land-attack roles just as aptly.

Last edited:

https://www.janes.com/article/87653/kongsberg-nsm-to-equip-indian-mh-60r-helicopters

The Indian Navy appears poised to become the first customer for the Kongsberg Naval Strike Missile (NSM) in a helicopter-launched application.

According to US Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) documentation, the missile will be integrated into Lockheed Martin/Sikorsky MH-60R multimission helicopters that India is looking to acquire under a Foreign Military Sale (FMS) case.

NSM was originally developed by Kongsberg to meet the Royal Norwegian Navy's requirements for a highly discriminative, low-observable surface-to-surface guided weapon able to penetrate shipboard defences and operate effectively in blue water and littoral environments. Capable of ranges up to 200 km, it combines GPS-aided midcourse guidance with an advanced dual-band imaging infrared seeker.

Another big with for Norway. India joins The United States Army and Navy, Japan, Australia, Malaysia, Poland, Germany and Norway itself as the users of the NSM/JSM family of anti-ship/land-attack missiles. JSM is the first land-attack missile Japan has bought or produced since its post-war constitution.

Designed from the ground up with all aspect stealth, NSM's advanced composite body, strictly passive seekers, low weight and small size make it an immense challenge for even the most well defended foes.

despite its diminutive size and weight, the warhead of NSM is equivilent to that of Harpoon, despite being under half the size due to its unique chemical makeup. NSM is primarly an anti-shipping weapon, but can perform land-attack roles just as aptly.

The Nordic countries have developed a pretty strong defense industry, this will definitely be a welcome alternative to the old mostly Russian systems the IAF uses. It is also good to see stronger ties between India and Norway. Be warned though, any thread that mentions the Indian millitary these days is bound to attract the usual butthurt trolls.

Last edited:

Another big with for Norway. India joins The United States Army and Navy, Japan, Australia, Malaysia, Poland, Germany and Norway itself as the users of the NSM/JSM family of anti-ship/land-attack missiles. JSM is the first land-attack missile Japan has bought or produced since its post-war constitution.

You probably remember our discussion about this.

This is going to be a very good complementary addition to our navy's offensive capabilities.

The Nordic countries have developed a pretty strong defense industry, this will definitely be a welcome alternative to the old mostly Russian systems the IAF uses. It is also good to see stronger ties between India and Norway. Be warned though, any thread that mentions the IAF these days is bound to attract the usual butthurt trolls.

We use Russian, British, French and American air launched AShMs.

You probably remember our discussion about this.

You'd have to remind me:-).

Y
This is going to be a very good complementary addition to our navy's offensive capabilities.

Hopefully the IN will also look at JSM for its P-8I. As a P-8 customer ourselves integration on the airframe is basically a must. And unlike the helicopter mounted NSM you wont have to front the development cost:enjoy:.

P8_75K0060.t59804393.m1200.x57CTKBSw.jpg

P8-1.t595228a4.m800.xZM6O2i9V.jpg

Following that are VLS and torpedo tube launched variants, so there's still a great deal of room for growth in our NSM/JSM relationship if India chooses to be a part of it. I know it has its own programs too, but still, hopefully the IN likes its NSM enough to make further investments:cheers:.

Last edited:

On SF, about me hoping Norway will be willing to participate in the tender for IN's requirement for such missiles.

Hopefully the IN will also look at JSM for its P-8I. As a P-8 customer ourselves integration on the airframe is basically a must. And unlike the helicopter mounted NSM you wont have to front the development cost:enjoy:.

Not just the P-8, there's also a separate program for a medium range patrol aircraft that will carry a minimum of 2 missiles.

I'd like to see it on most of our aircraft, including Jaguar and Tejas. The Jaguar is equipped with Raytheon's Munitions Control Unit, which should make the integration of the JSM easy.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...-indias-munitions-control-unit-144865535.html

Following that are VLS and torpedo tube launched variants, so there's still a great deal of room for growth in our NSM/JSM relationship if India chooses to be a part of it. I know it has its own programs too, but still, hopefully the IN likes its NSM enough to make further investments:cheers:.

Unfortunately, it won't happen unless Norway decides to participate in the tender for medium range missiles.

http://forceindia.net/cover-story/india-bets-fire-fury/
The Indian Navy on August 8 also issued requests to global vendors inviting their interest in supplying about 270 combat, 40 practice, 10 training, 6 dummy and 4 cut section medium range anti-ship missiles. Under the aegis of ‘Make in India’, India will also acquire transfer of technology (ToT) from the selected global vendor. The tender is to be issued during the first half of 2018.

Even if Norway fails to enter the tender, 24+123 medium helicopters and a large number of patrol aircraft will still take procurement numbers into the hundreds.

The IAF will also be coming up with a massive requirement for such missiles for land attack in the next couple of years, especially when the LCA Mk1As start coming in.

On SF, about me hoping Norway will be willing to participate in the tender for IN's requirement for such missiles.

Not just the P-8, there's also a separate program for a medium range patrol aircraft that will carry a minimum of 2 missiles.

I'd like to see it on most of our aircraft, including Jaguar and Tejas. The Jaguar is equipped with Raytheon's Munitions Control Unit, which should make the integration of the JSM easy.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...-indias-munitions-control-unit-144865535.html

Knowing the IN penchant for Indigenous products, its probably going to be C295 Maritime Variant.

p1648281.jpg

Probably with Brahmos-A and Nirbhay.

Knowing the IN penchant for Indigenous products, its probably going to be C295 Maritime Variant.

p1648281.jpg

Probably with Brahmos-A and Nirbhay.

I doubt it will carry Nirbhay. And it's not a Brahmos or NSM/JSM, it can be both. These missiles do not really compete with each other.

And you shouldn't forget that the Brahmos costs as much as $4M while the NSM costs less than $1M.

NSM/JSM will be good addition.

P8_75K0060.t59804393.m1200.x57CTKBSw.jpg

P8-1.t595228a4.m800.xZM6O2i9V.jpg

IN is also looking for a Sub launched missile with 500 KM range. NSM/JSM seems to fit the bill.

Correct if I'm wrong Romeos also carry Hellfire missiles. Add NSM and IN has a terrific asset.

Correct if I'm wrong Romeos also carry Hellfire missiles.

That's right. Hellfire and the Advanced Precision Kill Weapon System form the basis of the MH-60's current surface-warfare package now that Penguin is being retired.

HSC-8-squadron-photo-093.jpg

150817-N-XB010-635.jpg

6ab7058351931e52c7f005a9afc6642a.jpg

NSM provides the MH-60 with a surface-warfare weapon system far out ranging Hellfire and APKWS against sea and land targets and out ranging lightweight torpedoes like the MK46 and MK54 by nearly 190km.

8b5830314d9a997755d260b9d6451e5b.jpg

Hellfire and APKWS are great against small boats, corvettes or fast attack craft, but NSM allows IN helicopters to cripple frigates and destroyers without the support of their assigned vessels.

Put simply, NSM is a major threat to any vessel sailing the Indian Ocean.

That's right. Hellfire and the Advanced Precision Kill Weapon System form the basis of the MH-60's current surface-warfare package now that Penguin is being retired.

HSC-8-squadron-photo-093.jpg

150817-N-XB010-635.jpg

6ab7058351931e52c7f005a9afc6642a.jpg

NSM provides the MH-60 with a surface-warfare weapon system far out ranging Hellfire and APKWS against sea and land targets and out ranging lightweight torpedoes like the MK46 and MK54 by nearly 190km.

8b5830314d9a997755d260b9d6451e5b.jpg

Hellfire and APKWS are great against small boats, corvettes or fast attack craft, but NSM allows IN helicopters to cripple frigates and destroyers without the support of their assigned vessels.

Put simply, NSM is a major threat to any vessel sailing the Indian Ocean.

When does IN receive them?

Back
Top Bottom