What's new

Khaleda apologises for mistakes, if any

Nafees

Reaction score
Source: The Daily Star - Details News

In a speech scathing about Awami League (AL) and its President Sheikh Hasina, BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia yesterday called upon her archrival to shun 'politics of vengeance' and work together for the country.

Addressing a mammoth election rally at the city's historic Paltan Maidan, she said she is sorry for mistakes if any made during her rule in 2001-2006.

“I express my regrets for those, and ask for your forgiveness,” she added.

The former prime minister, who is leading the four-party alliance to the ninth parliamentary polls tomorrow, promised to learn from the past if voted to power.

Pleading for another chance to form government, Khaleda said, “We want to make a fresh start. We'll work in light of public opinions.”

Pointing at her opponents, she said there is no time to bicker over the past. “Let's forget what happened and start working in unison to build a self-reliant nation, shunning politics of revenge and anarchy.”

The BNP chief said hartals and barricades cause huge losses to the country. “No matter which party we belong to and wherever we are, the country should take precedence over everything else. We need to work together to recover the damage done.”

With stringent security measures in place, thousands of leaders, workers and supporters of BNP and Jamaat-e-Islami began streaming into Paltan Maidan round about noon.

They were carrying sheaves of paddy and scales, electoral symbols of the two parties, and shouting slogans for the four-party candidates.

By the time Khaleda and her alliance colleagues got onto the dais, the venue was pulsating with excitement. Party flags, colourful festoons, banners and posters of alliance candidates gave it a festive look.

In her 50-minute speech punctuated by deafening roars from the alliance faithful, Khaleda urged people to vote her party and allies to save the country. “This massive turnout here shows you've already made history. I call on you to make another [history] by electing us on December 29.”

Terming the young and first-time voters 'the deciding factor' in tomorrow's polls, she asked them to cast vote for 'sheaf of paddy'.

“As your mother, I'm seeking your precious votes to save the country and people. I'm pledging myself to work towards a better future for you," she said.

In most part of her address, Khaleda criticised Hasina, her party and the grand alliance.

"They have formed grand alliance with Ershad, a great thief, who was jailed by a regular court, not any special tribunal," Khaleda said.

The Jatiya Party (JP) chairman still faces corruption charges and would be convicted, she continued.

"This alliance will not be able to restore democracy or curb corruption," she commented.

Referring to AL, Khaleda said, “All they do is crime and corruption.”

"Speaking for democracy and against corruption does not really suit them. They never worked for this nation while in power."

In a pretty obvious reference to Hasina, she said, "Some leaders had flown out of the country, leaving people in danger. No-one can depend on them.

“I'd never desert my people or country, and I don't have any address abroad.”

Dismissing AL's allegations against BNP of patronising terrorism, she said the people know who are responsible for the tentacles of terrorism sliding across the country.

“They have a godfather in each district. Everyone knows who their godfathers were in Dhaka, Narayanganj and Feni."

“We'll tackle the graft menace with an iron fist,” she said, adding that if voted to power, her alliance would allow the Anti-Corruption Commission free rein.

Later, the BNP chairperson introduced the candidates for the Dhaka city seats and handed them sheaves of paddy.

Top leaders of the four-party alliance addressed the rally.

Back
Top Bottom