What's new

Kayani was indecisive on North Waziristan Operation

Rajput_Pakistani

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Former DG ISPR Maj Gen (retd) Athar Abbas has disclosed that the army was on the brink of launching a military offensive in North Waziristan three years ago, but given then army chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani’s reluctance, they were unable to.

In an interview with the BBC, Abbas said that the military leadership had given the go-head for an operation in North Waziristan in 2010, and preparations for it were made for one year, but it was pulled back at the last minute due to Gen Kayani’s indecisiveness.

“It had been decided in principle that preparations for the operation would take place between 2010 and 2011, and that it would be launched in 2011 to rid North Waziristan of extremists once and for all,” Abbas said.

When asked whether the reason behind his reluctance to give the final approval for the operation was due to his own weaknesses, Abbas agreed, saying ‘yes’.

“He was very reluctant when it came to the North Waziristan operation. Kayani thought the decision to launch the operation would reflect on his personality and people would take it as his personal decision, which is why he kept delaying the operation,” said the former DG ISPR.

A complete translation of the interview will be updates shortly

‘Kayani was reluctant to launch N Waziristan operation three years ago’ – The Express Tribune

I don't think that would be correct. Chiefs can't take independent decisions. They need to get the go-ahead from the political establishment which I think he did not get as the possibility of talks were being contemplated for a political resolution with the TTP.

Due to the treachery of the TTP over the years, patience was running out and it was finally decided by the government to give the green light to the Army to go after them, as talks were producing no results.

So I do not think one can blame him for 'indecision'.

I don't think that would be correct. Chiefs can't take independent decisions. They need to get the go-ahead from the political establishment which I think he did not get as the possibility of talks were being contemplated for a political resolution with the TTP.

Due to the treachery of the TTP over the years, patience was running out and it was finally decided by the government to give the green light to the Army to go after them, as talks were producing no results.

pakistani's have a habit of putting all there blame on military everybody know nawaz was involved in kargil, but all blame was put on musharaf alone

OBL raid, Memo Gate scandal. Zardari led establishment was in revenge mood against military establishment. You are right, Political will was nill at that time

‘Kayani was reluctant to launch N Waziristan operation’
By Dawn.com
ISLAMABAD: A former Pakistan Army spokesperson has revealed that former army chief Gen (retd) Ashfaq Pervez Kayani was reluctant to launch a major military offensive against Taliban militants in North Waziristan despite the military leadership's decision three years ago.

Speaking during an interview with BBC Urdu published on Monday, former DG Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) Maj Gen (retd) Athar Abbas said that the military leadership of the country was in favour of launching the military offensive in 2010, however, it could not have been launched due to the indecision of Gen Kayani.

Abbas replied in the affirmative when questioned whether personal weaknesses of the former army chief played a part in the reluctance to launch the operation. “This is generally true,” he said.

“He (Kayani) was hesitant regarding the military offensive in North Waziristan … he was delaying the decision because he thought the decision would be considered as his personal verdict.” “That is why he kept on delaying the decision which cost us dearly,” Abbas added.

He said that this indecisiveness wasted a lot of time and the country, public, government and the armed forces paid a heavy price for it.

“The delay has strengthened the extremists … they have grown in numbers and they are more resourceful, they are better connected with each other now and in my opinion things have become more complicated,” said the former DG ISPR.

He revealed that the then top military leadership had decided to launch the military operation in North Waziristan upon recommendations of military commanders stationed there and on the basis of intelligence reports gathered from the area.

“The on ground military commanders were of the view that peace could not be restored in the country without a major military offensive because all kinds of militants had gathered in that area.”

Abbas said before that there were two kind of opinion prevailing among the top military leadership ranks. “One opinion was in favour of the offensive while another group was for delaying the action,” he added.

He said dealing with Haqqani Network was one of the reasons for the delay, adding that there was another issue of internally displaced persons (IDPs).

Athar Abbas revealed that the United States also contributed to the indecision, saying that unremitting pressure of launching the operation from the American leadership made it difficult for the Pakistani authorities as it would have looked like a decision taken on the behest of the US.
---------------------------------------------------------------
He kept on postponing the OPRN for obvious genuine reasons, PA popularity was at the lowest & people were criticizing the armed forces for number of reasons..

Former DG Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) Maj Gen (retd) Athar Abbas has given an interview knowing that BBC will twist it according to to their own in trust and what affect it will bring for army . Was it a appropriate forum ?

It mean's that now army think's that now Americans are leaving and their will be no trap for pak army ?

3 Years wasted by Gen Kiyani but no point in bashing him he is the past we need to look to the future. The new General is far far better initially my views were different but the constant pressure on TTP and like minded groups change my opinion/views.

We have entered Phase II Ground Offensive lets hope we flush out all terrorists infact we should pursue them into afghanistan.

Kayani was too passive and scared. PA has learned a lot since 2005 when TTP started about counter insurgency and media control. Its taken a long time to get politicians, general public and media on board to conduct full operation in NW and on terrorists.

Anti terror laws passed recently and media backing the army has improved position of PA to act.

Raheel is proactive and looks like a man of action. The country is now at the point to strike against any provocation. Terrorist ideology is dead and buried. He certainly has had more leverage than Kayani ever did.

Back
Top Bottom