What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
not a problem in the sense that there is outwardly a struggle of some kind between Shiias and Sunnis. Majority of Pakistanis don't think on sectarian prism; only a small minority do.
To be frank, i detest bigotry and hatred, be it against Ahmediyas, or Shais or any other group who are in a minority and whose views are orthogonal to the majority. I consider such thugs to be even dangerous than the Taliban. That is why, it is very important to eradicate/reform all such laws which becomes a pawn in the hands of the majority e.g. Blasphemy Laws and Hudood Ordinance.

what a preposterous, loosely-worded and factually incorrect statement. I wont even reply to such garbage.

As for Kashmir, little is talked about because the conflict is given not enough exposure or coverage to the world......now that violence is again spiraling out of control (worst since 1989) I think more and more people would be informed
The entire free media of the world, including the Kashmiri press is given ample freedom to showcase the current turmoil in Pakistan ; Yet, the West is largely unconcerned. There are many reasons for them. And the majority are influenced by the banana-republic condition that Pakistan has been in since the GWoT.

Let us start with the EU. In 2005, EU under Emma Nicholson conducted the Chathamhouse survey in which, the conclusive piece of statistic they gathered from the survey was that "Less than 1% of the Kashmiris want to be with Pakistan." Note that i am talking about the entire state of Jammu and Kashmir (It also mentioned only about 2% in the Kashmir Valley wanted to join India). But overall, the glaring statistic that came out was about 43% wanted to remain Independent. That is less than the majority figure. So this survey biases the EU which gives them less leverage on the situation.

The US will be stifled in its voices, and the more Pakistani voices gets shrill, the more US will urge it to fight its war in NW. So, Pakistan is in a double-whammy mode, both from TTP and from the NW thugs.

through the recommendations I listed earlier, Pakistan can play an instrumental role in highlighting the crisis in occupied Kashmir....as it is a disputed territory between Pakistan and hindustan --it basically goes down to the ''my word versus yours'' approach.
Any pamphlets or other Propaganda that u distribute, will only be toilet paper for them.

To be frank, i detest bigotry and hatred, be it against Ahmediyas, or Shais or any other group who are in a minority and whose views are orthogonal to the majority. I consider such thugs to be even dangerous than the Taliban. That is why, it is very important to eradicate/reform all such laws which becomes a pawn in the hands of the majority e.g. Blasphemy Laws and Hudood Ordinance.

can't argue with any of that, I agree

The entire free media of the world, including the Kashmiri press is given ample freedom to showcase the current turmoil in Pakistan ; Yet, the West is largely unconcerned. There are many reasons for them. And the majority are influenced by the banana-republic condition that Pakistan has been in since the GWoT.

please explain

Let us start with the EU. In 2005, EU under Emma Nicholson conducted the Chathamhouse survey in which, the conclusive piece of statistic they gathered from the survey was that "Less than 1% of the Kashmiris want to be with Pakistan." Note that i am talking about the entire state of Jammu and Kashmir (It also mentioned only about 2% in the Kashmir Valley wanted to join India).

so based on this survey --whose results are obviously more favourable to hindustan than to Pakistan --why is there a continued aversion to hold referendum? ;)

The US will be stifled in its voices, and the more Pakistani voices gets shrill, the more US will urge it to fight its war in NW. So, Pakistan is in a double-whammy mode, both from TTP and from the NW thugs.

i disagree to a large extent; though i am not fan of our current govt. They dont stand for Pakistan's interest at all; it shows -- as does the frustration, annoyance and anger among Pakistanis for it.

Any pamphlets or other Propaganda that u distribute, will only be toilet paper for them.

let the audience decide.....Again, I outlined steps which Pakistan should take (in my view). And in fact, I have already drafted a letter to DCM Aslam Khan whom I know personally. I do hope it will be given consideration.

guest speakers from Kashmir; political figures; NGO workers and independent media persons who have viewed first-hand atrocities committed by the occupational forces should have the chance to talk in front of the foreign audience. Seminars and Kashmiri cultural events should also be held, in order to turn it into a Kashmiri awareness event and not merely a gloom & doom depressing one.

according to a friend of mine in Ankara, the Pakistan embassy already organized such an event. In fact, there were unregistered demonstrations in front of the hindustany embassy -which, incidentally (and quite ironically) is located on Cinnah Caddesi (Jinnah Boulevard, the longest one in Ankara) :)

(off topic as hell --- but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnah_Caddesi)

so based on this survey --whose results are obviously more favourable to hindustan than to Pakistan --why is there a continued aversion to hold referendum? ;)
This means, you have absolutely glossed over what i have written, and ur eye was transfixed on the Red Part. No wonder, a running joke among the PA in 1971 was that lets kill 3 million Bengalis and a Bicycle repairman, ppl will just gloss over the 3 million figure !!!

What i wrote clearly states that there is no majority view for Independence to Kashmir (standing at 43%) ; There is an even lesser view in AJK and J&K to join with India, and a further dimmer opinion on both of them in joining Pakistan.

But this was just put forth in the pov for EU so as not interfere with the current status-quo in Kashmir. It is just a pov ; not their official stand.

And in fact, I have already drafted a letter to DCM Aslam Khan whom I know personally. I do hope it will be given consideration.
U can write to Hussain Haqqani, Hilary Clinton and even to Barack Obama for all i care ; the matters rest with the Union of India. Period.

guest speakers from Kashmir; political figures; NGO workers and independent media persons who have viewed first-hand atrocities committed by the occupational forces should have the chance to talk in front of the foreign audience. Seminars and Kashmiri cultural events should also be held, in order to turn it into a Kashmiri awareness event and not merely a gloom & doom depressing one.

according to a friend of mine in Ankara, the Pakistan embassy already organized such an event. In fact, there were unregistered demonstrations in front of the hindustany embassy -which, incidentally (and quite ironically) is located on Cinnah Caddesi (Jinnah Boulevard, the longest one in Ankara) :)

That is a very good initiative ; The goodness in Kashmir needs to be highlighted to the world to show what the world has been losing in Kashmir for the past 60 years. I would say that even India is a bit belligerent in its stand for the AFSPA ; so i might see that softening from 4 principal districts in the valley. But any compromise on the constitutional ambit, is going to be a strict no-no from the GoI. And the signals to the Delegation sent today, has largely been positive. So, I also see India working in favour of the Kahmiris. A win-win for the Kashmiris and the GoI.

This means, you have absolutely glossed over what i have written, and ur eye was transfixed on the Red Part. No wonder, a running joke among the PA in 1971 was that lets kill 3 million Bengalis and a Bicycle repairman, ppl will just gloss over the 3 million figure !!!

where did you read this joke? Does it exist or are you making up false propaganda?

What i wrote clearly states that there is no majority view for Independence to Kashmir (standing at 43%) ; There is an even lesser view in AJK and J&K to join with India, and a further dimmer opinion on both of them in joining Pakistan.

But this was just put forth in the pov for EU so as not interfere with the current status-quo in Kashmir. It is just a pov ; not their official stand.

U can write to Hussain Haqqani, Hilary Clinton and even to Barack Obama for all i care ; the matters rest with the Union of India. Period.

this union seems to be at odds with Kashmir, perhaps it's the other way around --perhaps both ways.

Recent news reports would lead me to conclude that occupied Kashmiris feel no affiliation with the union when they say ''go back india''

I also see India working in favour of the Kahmiris. A win-win for the Kashmiris and the GoI.

you would pardon me for laughing it off and treating this comment as comical relief from an otherwise stressful Monday, wouldnt you?

you would pardon me for laughing it off and treating this comment as comical relief from an otherwise stressful Monday, wouldnt you?
Naah...u have full liberty to enjoy your guffaws ; If my Government can joke, why cannot I ???!!!

ISLAMABAD, (SANA): The Pakistan Federal Union of Journalists (PFUJ) has condemned the virtual ban imposed by the Indian government on publication of Kashmir-based newspapers and other media institutions and declared that the media community would not allow any type of restrictions on the media and raise the issue before all the forums.

As per details, the Kashmir valley again had no newspapers on Monday due to restrictions on media persons imposed by the authorities without any justification and as it deprives the people at large from the basic and universal right to know.

Four newspapers were published on Sunday but their staff was allegedly beaten up and the distribution was affected, as per confirmed reports reaching the PFUJ Secretariat.

The PFUJ termed this act of the authorities a direct attack on independence of the media and appealed to international journalist community to raise their voice against such uncalled for arbitrary acts of the authorities.

The PFUJ pointed out that “some of the media houses tried to resume publication on Sunday. But the police reportedly beat up several journalists and workers of four newspapers and some of them were taken to hospital.

“Several thousand newspapers are lying in the respective offices as the police chased distributors and hawkers during early hours of Sunday,” as per message communicated by the concerned journalists to the media.

It was further reported that the police and paramilitaries are preventing journalists from circulating and from going to their place of work.”

The regional dailies were no longer being printed in Srinagar because of the curfew. “Radio Kashmir had to cancel its morning press review because of the lack of newspapers,”

Contrary to this highly objectionable situation, the authorities were facilitating the work of Indian journalists while imposing harsh restrictions on those who were based in the territory. “They were virtually blocking the communication lines, on account of strictly imposed curfew,”

“The troops subjected the distributors and hawkers to brute force at Press Colony for distributing papers. The troopers at Kak Sarai area stopped cab of a local English daily and the staffers within were roughed up”, the reports added.

“The puppet administration has directed the local channels to stop broadcasting news and current affairs programmes. Several foreign channels and those operated from Pakistan including Hadi TV, Noor TV and other Islamic Channels have been completely taken off air,” the PFUJ regretted.

The PFUJ said that on the pretext of maintaining law and order in the area it is pity that media is being prevented from its professional assignments and duties, which is a deplorable act of the authorities.

Commenting on this alarming situation, the PFUJ said that this had made the intentions of Indian government clear that it did not want newspapers to be published from Kashmir.

“This has resulted in huge losses to this industry and also deprived masses of necessary information during this crisis.

The PFUJ calls on world journalists organizations and all other media workers to join together to support unequivocally to journalists of Kashmir against the oppression they face.

PFUJ slams Indian ban on Kashmir newspapers

Delhi goes to Srinagar – then tries to go the extra mile

Riyaz Wani
Srinagar

After pressure from Jammu and Kashmir’s mainstream political parties — especially the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) — that New Delhi should be seen as going the extra mile, the all-party delegation, despite the boycott by separatists, sent teams to meet the three key Hurriyat leaders: hawk Syed Ali Shah Geelani, moderate Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and pro-independence Yasin Malik.

The very fact that the political establishment from New Delhi met the Valley’s ruling separatist triumvirate, is being seen as a step forward.

All the meetings were held in the full glare of the media, and came after the two-day exercise began with Union Home Minister P Chidambaram promising the people of the state that their “future, honour and dignity” are secure as part of India.

The entire Valley was under curfew and Srinagar was effectively under siege with thousands of securitymen patrolling roads and lanes. While many here feared that this would reduce the delegation’s visit to a mere formality, there was no mistaking a sense of movement, however small it may have been.

For, the chorus that the delegation got to hear — and listened to — was that “status quo” in the state would not work. From civil-society groups and trade federations to separatists and NGOs — one of them led by Hameeda Nayeem, wife of jailed moderate Hurriyat leader Nayeem Khan — the message was similar: there was need for a fresh political impetus in the Valley.

A team of leaders, including the DMK’s T R Baalu, Shiromani Akali Dal’s Rattan Singh Ajnala, MIM’s Asad-ud-din Owaisi, CPM’s Sitaram Yechury and TDP’s Nageshwar Rao went to Geelani’s residence at Hyderpora on Airport Road.

Sources said Geelani insisted on meeting them only with the media present.

This was followed by visits to Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Yasin Malik at their respective residences by two separate teams.

Geelani was blunt and predictable: he reiterated his traditional line seeking a formal acknowledgement of the disputed nature of Kashmir as a prerequisite for engagement with the Centre. “India needs to create conditions for peace in the state,” Geelani told the delegation.

He dismissed the idea of a renewed dialogue with the Centre: “We have engaged in 150 rounds of dialogue with New Delhi in the past six decades and we haven’t moved an inch on Kashmir. How will another such exercise be any different?”

But he urged the delegation that the only way the dialogue could be restored was for the Centre to meet his five conditions for ending the current unrest in the state. These are: accepting Kashmir as an international dispute, beginning the process of demilitarization, releasing prisoners, punishing security personnel involved in killings, and ending further killings and arrests.

“These demands are our bottom line. If the Centre responds positively to these demands, we will review the ongoing agitation in the state and renew the engagement,” Geelani said with cameras whirring on all sides.

“And if there is no response to these demands, then we will have no option but to continue our struggle”.

A team led by CPI leader Gurudas Dasgupta visited the Mirwaiz at the other end of the city.

In his meeting, the Mirwaiz said: “I urge you to tell the truth to the people of India about what Kashmiris really want. It is time that you not only accept the sentiment of azaadi but also make it a point of reference in the dialogue on the future of state.

“New Delhi only comes to us (separatists) when the situation is critical in the state. They forget Kashmir once things return to normal,” the Mirwaiz said, as he showed the delegation pictures of teenagers and children killed in the ongoing turmoil.

The delegation which went to meet Malik included Ram Vilas Paswan of the Lok Janashakti Party, Basudeb Acharya of CPM, Prasun Kumar of Biju Janata Dal, Narinder Kumar Kashyap of BSP and Jose K Mani of the Kerala Congress.

“When the boys were killed, if the Army chief had apologized to the family, this issue would not taken such a shape now,” Paswan said setting a conciliatory tone for the meeting.

Malik replied: “We talked to you. We had declared a unilateral ceasefire. And I got 600 body bags of my colleagues in response to our peace move. Then Hizbul Mujahideen talked to you, they also got the body bags of their top commanders. Dialogue has no credibility here. For God’s sake, don’t push our children towards the gun. For the past 15 years, India has been saying that violence and dialogue cannot go together.”

Paswan responded: “There are no two opinions about it. We are with them (the people in the Valley) and we think that such a committee must be formed,” he said. “The 100 people who were killed (in the last three months), we demand an inquiry to probe it.”

Earlier in the morning, the Mirwaiz and Malik had, in a joint announcement, declined to meet the delegation and, instead, decided to send a memorandum. It minced few words: “We cannot help but feel that we Kashmiris have been corralled into a concentration camp of concertina wires, jack-booted surveillance and vengeful assault by the Indian state, which deliberately chooses to deny this part of its claimed nation the constitutional guarantee of the right to life.”

The memorandum called upon New Delhi to facilitate establishment and empowerment of a Kashmir Committee, comprising senior representatives of all major Indian political parties to develop and enter into a process of engagement with the representatives of the people of Jammu & Kashmir.

“Let this process be designed to deliver a negotiated solution to the Kashmir issue that is mutually acceptable to all parties,” the memorandum said. “We believe that a similar Kashmir Committee, bringing together all political forces, should also be established in Pakistan. We will advocate to the political parties in Pakistan that this be done. This will ensure that all major political forces in India and Pakistan are on board with the peace process and it will help institutionalize and sustain the process to resolve the Kashmir problem.”

Both the PDP and Congress raised the pitch for a “concerted and comprehensive” dialogue. The opposition PDP — among the first to meet the team — was unhappy since its 14-member team got only 15 minutes, but it made its point.

“We told them that the need is for a long-term solution because quickfixes will not work. We need the Centre to acknowledge that Kashmir is a political problem and seek a comprehensive political solution once and for all,” said Nizamudin Bhat, a senior PDP leader.

State Congress president Saifuddin Soz said that he had urged the delegation to think “unconventionally” on Kashmir to “heal the wounds of the Valley”.

Tehelka - This is not a lost cause.
For those with the inclination, here is a plan for Kashmir

IS THERE a way out of the anarchy in Kashmir? Is it possible to create an opportunity out of this grave crisis? Can the conditions for sustainable peace still be created? What can New Delhi, the state government and the people of Kashmir do, unilaterally or collectively, to build a ‘Naya’ Jammu & Kashmir symbolised by peace, prosperity and people’s power? Here are 10 Commandments to save Jammu & Kashmir.

FOR NEW DELHI

1} Do not live in denial: accept that there is an uprising, and admit your mistakes
One of the biggest hurdles in the way of any meaningful initiative is that New Delhi often becomes a prisoner of its own rhetoric. Let’s face it: there is a virtual revolt on the streets of the Kashmir Valley. Enraged young men and increasingly women are leading an uprising against the State and the central government and we just hope and (often believe) that it is all a Pakistani plot.
Chitambaram

This is a generation born in conflict which has only seen the ugly face of India. This is a politically conscious generation that may not be able to take a long-term view of issues, but is hardly enamoured by Pakistan, nor can it easily be manipulated by the ISI. Understanding the anatomy of this new ‘movement’ alone will help to craft policies that can really deliver results on the ground.

This reality must be accepted as must be the admission of mistakes. This is the first step towards restoring trust between New Delhi and the people of Kashmir. Over the years, the Centre has made a number of appalling mistakes in Kashmir. Promises of dialogue have not been kept, several elections have been rigged, genuinely elected governments dismissed, puppet leaders installed — and, in the last two decades, the ordinary Kashmiri has faced harassment from security forces.

Some of these mistakes were avoidable; others inevitable given the complex situation on the ground, and others have been corrected. Facing up to this reality is essential. Admission of these mistakes will not be construed as an expression of guilt, but will signal recognition that fresh initiatives towards Kashmir will be based on an awareness of past mistakes and a genuine desire not to see them repeated. Sonia Gandhi, in her speech to the all-party meeting, came closest to accepting this reality.

2} Understand what the youth want: conduct a stakeholder analysis and build trust
It will be impossible to reach out to these young men and women unless there is a clear understanding of what they want. While the uprising may have a single anti- India focus, a variety of factors have coalesced to generate these protests. The all-party delegation that visits the Valley must be tasked to conduct a comprehensive analysis of the stakeholders (especially the youth) in each district of the Valley. Based on this, implement unilaterally confidence- and trust-building measures that will have maximum impact, including release of young men in jails and political detainees immediately.

3} Create the conditions for an ‘uninterrupted’ sustained dialogue
Once the CBMs are in place, it is essential to appoint a team of political interlocutors who will carry credibility. Make the dialogue unconditional and as inclusive as possible. The dialogue must be based on a two-year time-table and weekly meetings. While there may be few takers in the beginning, once it is recognised that New Delhi is acting in good faith, Kashmiris themselves will force their leaders to join the negotiating table. All those part of the dialogue must be exposed to the lessons from peace processes across the world by experts in conflict resolution.

4} Recognise that autonomy or self-governance in J&K will not balkanise India
Separatism grows when people feel disconnected from the structures of power and the process of policy formulation; in contrast, devolution ensures popular participation in the running of the polity. Bluntly put, autonomy and self-governance is the only recipe for the 21st century. If autonomy weakened states, the United States of America would have disintegrated many decades ago. If this balance is struck, Jammu and Kashmir could become a model of ‘cooperative federalism’, a special model that could be gradually applied to other states in the union.

Autonomy and self-rule are about empowering people, making them feel that they belong, and about increasing the accountability of public institutions and services. It is synonymous with decentralisation and devolution of power, phrases that have been on the charter of virtually every political party in India. In Jammu and Kashmir, autonomy carries tremendous resonance with the people because puppet leaders from the state colluded with the central leadership and gradually eroded the autonomy promised by the Constitution. There is no contradiction between wanting Kashmir to be part of the national mainstream and the state’s desire for autonomous self-governance.

5} Create a Truth and Reconciliation Commission
A commission like this is not about fixing blame, but about accepting the tragic events of the past and moving together into a better future. It is about recognising the tragedy of two decades, of those who disappeared or were killed, or the tragic displacement of Kashmiri Pandits. Such a Commission would be best served by respected jurists who carry credibility with Indian civil society as well as the people of the state.

FOR THE STATE GOVERNMENT

6} Create the conditions for an internal reconciliation

Today, Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh are polarised, with their differences being exploited by sectarian groups. There are powerful forces demanding a trifurcation of the main regions of the state – Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh – into separate administrative units.

Posing as an imaginative solution, this demand, if conceded, could lead to violent social disruptions in the state and create a communal polarisation that would not just irretrievably destroy the cultural and social fabric of the state, but have perilous consequences for communal relations in the rest of India. In addition, trifurcation would forever end the possibilities of reviving the plural traditions of communal harmony in the state that had once made it a symbol of the very idea of India: unity in diversity. It is important that the state government work, along with civil society, to create the conditions for reconciliation amongst the three regions and the different ethnic groups, that will also make it possible for Kashmir’s Hindus to honourably return to the valley.

7} Reach out to the Opposition and the young
It is important for Omar Abdullah reach out to everyone. A politician is one who only thinks of the next election; a statesman is one who thinks of the next generation. Bury the past, forget the bitterness of yesterday, and try and create a new way in politics. Meet young people, as many as you can, every day. And call on your political opponents (drop by at Fairview to see the Muftis, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq at Nageen and even Syed Ali Shah Geelani at Hyderpora) and seek their support in the crisis. Generosity in politics will never be seen as a weakness. Political leaders who demonstrate humility in crisis always emerge stronger.

8} Recognise your failures, don’t always blame Delhi
The state government has found it easy to blame the central government for all the problems of the state. It is time that it accepted that the administration had virtually collapsed in the last three months. Most deaths on the streets were during firing — not by the Indian army, but by the J&K police or the CRPF aiding the state police. J&K is believed to be the second most corrupt state in India with good reason. Delivery of public services is abysmal, and there is no scheme for generating employment other than as white collar workers in the government. This needs to change. The youth of Kashmir have to be given hope for the future and this can only happen if the local government delivers on multiple fronts.

FOR THE PEOPLE OF KASHMIR
PEOPLE OF KASHMIR

9} Recognise the limits of the possible
The people of Kashmir have suffered and been traumatised over the lost decades and lived in uncertainty for the last six decades. Clarity of thinking is not easy in these times, but it is critical to move forward. It is time that the people and the leaders stop living under the illusion of a utopian dream. The reality is that the people must look for pragmatic ways to ensure the honour, dignity and the empowerment of the people in this globalised world. Running after the mirage of a distant paradise will only create the conditions for greater suffering.

10} Discover the other India and utilise its opportunity
There is an India beyond bunkers, security forces and corrupt and corrupted politicians. It is the vibrant India of entrepreneurs, professionals, activists, civil society activists and the robust and free media, among others. More and more Kashmiris must discover this India and build a coalition with it. That is the best guarantee against the other India which we witness in the Valley.

I strongly feel we should let Kashmir burn for 6 more months. The more we try to console them the more idiotic they are getting by the day.

I strongly feel we should let Kashmir burn for 6 more months. The more we try to console them the more idiotic they are getting by the day.

You will see they will respect you more when you will stop 'consoling' them with bullets and curfews.

Did you even read what you wrote?

Because when a person in Srinagar looks at the situation in Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore or kolkata, he would feel kinda left out.

Believe me, it won't work, we did that in Balochistan. And they still haven't forgotten the Army and Punjabis.

You will see they will respect you more when you will stop 'consoling' them with bullets and curfews.

Did you even read what you wrote?

Because when a person in Srinagar looks at the situation in Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore or kolkata, he would feel kinda left out.

Believe me, it won't work, we did that in Balochistan. And they still haven't forgotten the Army and Punjabis.

And Balochistan is not IOK. So keep it out of it. IOK has it's own reasons to burn, the biggest one is it doesn't belong to India.

One of the main separatist leaders in Indian-administered Kashmir says protests against Indian rule will carry on unless his main demands are met.

Syed Ali Shah Geelani told the BBC he wanted the withdrawal of Indian security forces from the region and the repeal of emergency laws.

He is one of three influential separatists who met members of an all-party delegation of Indians MPs.

More than 100 people have been killed in violent protests since June.

Security forces have frequently opened fire with live ammunition to disperse groups of stone-throwing protesters angry at India's rule over the disputed region.

In the latest violence in the mainly-Muslim valley, five people were injured on Monday in clashes with the army outside of the town of Sopore.

A 22-year-old woman was killed in Sopore at the weekend during clashes between police and protesters, as residents continued to defy a curfew, now in its eighth day.

Demands

Mr Geelani had refused to meet the full party of nearly 40 visiting lawmakers but a group of five of the MPs visited him at his residence, where he is under house arrest.

Mr Geelani is the leads the hardline faction of the Hurriyat Conference (HC), a separatist alliance.

Speaking after the meeting with the MPs, he told the BBC the protests were peaceful and would continue unless his group's demands were met.

He said he wanted the Indian government to declare Kashmir an international dispute, withdraw troops from the region, revoke the emergency powers given to the security forces and release political prisoners.

Two other separatist leaders were also visited by MPs from the delegation - Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, the head of the moderate wing of the HC, who is also under house arrest, and Yasin Malik, the moderate leader of the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front.

All three men had earlier refused to meet the visiting delegation.

They were told by the MPs that Kashmir was an integral part of India and there was no question of its succession.

But Mr Farooq was told by the group that visited him that all other issues could be discussed.

The delegation is led by Indian Home Minister Palaniappan Chidambaram and includes lawmakers from all major national parties.

The government announced the all-party fact-finding mission last week after an emergency meeting in the capital, Delhi.

The BBC's Altaf Hussain in Indian-administered Kashmir's main city of Srinagar says the Indian government is trying to build a consensus among the country's major parties on how to deal with the situation.

During their two-day visit, the delegation is consulting members of the public and Kashmiri politicians and business leaders in the Muslim-majority Kashmir valley.

But there is resentment among many people who want to meet the visitors, but have so far been unable to do so because the valley remains under strict curfew.

Until visiting the separatist leaders, the delegation had only met pro-India politicians and business leaders.

Kashmir separatist says protests will continue

:)

Back
Top Bottom