What's new

Kalashnikov AK-103 meets Indian COIN requirements

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The Kalashnikov Group's AK-103 assault rifle meets Indian military's requirements for counter-insurgency (COIN) missions, according to the Economic Times daily.

Kalashnikov_AK_103_meets_Indian_COIN_requirements.jpg

Anton Kalashnikov AK-103 (Picture source: Army Recognition)

"The preferred caliber for COIN missions is 5.56 mm as it allows reducing collateral casualties. However, lethal effect of the AK-103 is substantially higher," the newspaper says. Economic Times adds that the AK-103 meets the Indian Army's requirements in terms of effective range of fire (approximately 500 m).

"Compared with the indigenous INSAS [Indian National Small Arms System] assault rifle, the AK-103 features a lower weight, 4 kg and 3.5 kg, respectively. The [Kalashnikov] rifle can be fitted with various sights, including infrared ones," the newspaper emphasizes. It should be mentioned that the basic INSAS rifle has a rail interface system with rather limited capabilities.
According to the Economic Times, India is planning to manufacture the AK-103 assault rifle under license.

The Kalashnikov Group (a subsidiary of the Rostec state corporation) now promotes two variants of the AK-103 assault rifle, namely, the baseline AK-103 and the upgraded AK-103M (M stands for Upgraded, Modernizirovanny). In fact, the AK-103 is a deeply modernized variant of the legendary Kalashnikov AKM assault rifle.

The baseline model has a combat weight of 4.1 kg, an overall length of 943 mm, a muzzle velocity of 715 m/s, and a rate of fire of 600 rounds per minute. The firearm is fitted with a 415 mm barrel that provides a maximum range of fire of 1,000 m.

The baseline AK-103 is not equipped with any MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny-type rails; the assault rifle features only a side-mounted attaching lug (‘dovetail’) for optical, collimator or reflex sights. The firearm is covered by corrosion-resistant coating. Like the Kalashnikov AK-74M, the AK-103 is fitted with a single-chamber muzzle brake and polymer components (including buttstock, handguard, and pistol grip).

The AK-103 can be complemented by the GP-25/30 40 mm under-barrel grenade launcher or the 6Kh5 bayonet. The organic handguard can be replaced with the one fitted with Picatinny rails, while the ‘dovetail’-type attaching lug can carry an adapter with a Picatinny rail.

The upgraded AK-103, AK-103M, has almost the same specifications. Unlike the baseline model, the AK-103M features a reinforced upper receiver with a Picatinny rail, an ergonomic pistol grip with an internal container for spare batteries for electronic sights, a Magpul-type retractable stock, and a handguard with a rail interface system. The organic muzzle brake has been replaced by a slotted (cage-type) flash suppressor. The organic cleaning rod, which is located under the barrel, has been removed, as well as the ‘dovetail’-type attaching lug for sights.

Both firearms, the AK-103 and AK-103M, are fed by 30-round box magazines made of polymer. The legacy AK/AKM metal or bakelite magazines can also be used.

http://www.armyrecognition.com/apri...ov_ak-103_meets_indian_coin_requirements.html

A closer look at the Kalashnikov AK-100M Series (TFB unique pictures)

11AK-10XM-660x238.jpg

The Firearm Blog is proud to present a line of unique pictures of the new and improved Kalashnikov AK-100M series.

The AK-100M is the modernized version of the AK-100, with the obvious addition of the “M” in the name.

It’s interesting to see some of the modifications I personally did to my AK (albeit a Shotgun, to make it more ergonomic and better to shoot) many years ago now find their way to production rifles. And I don’t claim to have been the first to have used those parts or modifications, far from.

The AK-100M Series

Kalashnikov have taken some of the improvements that came about in connection with the development of the AK-12. The AK-12 is similar to an improved AK-74M, although it is a new production with better quality.

Some of the “M” improvements are:

• Rails and Picatinny.
• Rigid, dust cover with optical orientation rail etc. Note, however, that you still have a short line of sight for the irons.
• Ergonomic grip• New adjustable stock. I’m told you can get height adjustment too.

• New flash hider
• Price about 1000 US Dollar

• Most spare parts for the old AK-100 can still be used with M models (which is not the case with the AK-12 in relation to the AK-74M.)

Caliber wise, here’s a list of how each model is chambered.

In short the AK-101M and -102M are 5,56×45 mm.

AK-101 here.

1AK-10XM_resize-5.jpg

Below: AK101M in 5,56×45 mm. Magazine latch clearly visible.

1AK-10XM_resize-11.jpg

Below: AK101M in 5,56×45 mm. The magazine is fairly straight. Note the side “rail” on the front grip, I’m not sure what it’s for? It looks like a sling attachment.

1AK-10XM_resize-12.jpg

Below: AK103M in 7,62×39 mm and grenade launcher. Banana magazine. You can check the AK-103 here.

1AK-10XM_resize-2.jpg

Below: AK103M in 7,62×39 mm and grenade launcher. Note the possible sling attachment.

1AK-10XM_resize-3.jpg

Below: AK103M in 7,62×39 mm and grenade launcher

1AK-10XM_resize-4.jpg

Below: The AK105M in 5,45х39 mm. Note the magazine which has windows and numbered 10, 15, 20 until 30.

AK-10XM-7.jpg

Below: The AK105M in 5,45х39 mm.

1AK-10XM_resize-1.jpg

Below: AK105M in 5,45×39 mm

1AK-10XM_resize-7.jpg

Below: AK105M in 5,45×39 mm. Note the EOTech. Still, the line of sight with the irons remain unchanged.

1AK-10XM_resize-8.jpg

Below: AK105M in 5,45×39 mm. Note the numbers that indicate the stock’s extension.

1AK-10XM_resize-9.jpg

Below: AK105M in 5,45×39 mm

1AK-10XM_resize-10.jpg

To compare versus the 105M, you can check the AK105 here.

Many thanks to our secret photographer for all help, used with permission.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...lashnikov-ak-100m-series-tfb-unique-pictures/

DcFKJtrUQAAMpZ_.jpg

DcFKJtrUQAENOps.jpg

DcFKJtqVMAA8Y9w.jpg

India's MoD Delegation at Kalashnikov Concern plant in Izhvesk, Russia led by Mr. Apurva Chandra, Director General Acquisition of the Ministry of Defense of India. The guests were given a tour of the production facility, along with opportunity to test numerous Russian weapons

Of course it suits our COIN requirements!
We literally use AK variants for this purpose currently.
Why bring up INSAS!

AK103 should be produced only in limited numbers. Only to transfer the knowledge to our own AK clones.
In fact it shouldn't be produced at all. This whole circus seems silly to me.
Procure our own rifles like the police commandos have done. Focus on the 7.62 NATO requirement.

Of course it suits our COIN requirements!
We literally use AK variants for this purpose currently.
Why bring up INSAS!

AK103 should be produced only in limited numbers. Only to transfer the knowledge to our own AK clones.
In fact it shouldn't be produced at all. This whole circus seems silly to me.
Procure our own rifles like the police commandos have done. Focus on the 7.62 NATO requirement.
Majority of Police Special Forces are not using Indian INSAS Riles Janab g check pictures of Indian Police Commandos here you would find it yourself most are not using Indian Rifles but SIG and Tavor and other weapons
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/indian-emergency-services-police-ambulance-fire.80463/page-102

Majority of Police Special Forces are not using Indian INSAS Riles Janab g check pictures of Indian Police Commandos here you would find it yourself most are not using Indian Rifles but SIG and Tavor and other weapons
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/indian-emergency-services-police-ambulance-fire.80463/page-102
I'm not talking about INSAS. I'm talking about police forces now ordering Indian AK clones and other homemade rifles (including INSAS versions by some). It should be followed by everyone who needs Soviet calibre.
Of course some elite forces will keep buying Tavor. That's not an issue since we don't have a bullpup design.

INSAS shouldn't be mentioned at all in Indian COIN. It's an Army 5.56 weapon.

I'm not talking about INSAS. I'm talking about police forces now ordering Indian AK clones and other homemade rifles (including INSAS versions by some). It should be followed by everyone who needs Soviet calibre.
Of course some elite forces will keep buying Tavor. That's not an issue since we don't have a bullpup design.

INSAS shouldn't be mentioned at all in Indian COIN. It's an Army 5.56 weapon.
They are getting better and modernized version of AK-100 Series called AK-100 M I think they should go for them and Indian Police could have better and great Assault Rifles

Anything that gets the bad guys down quickly will be a welcomed addition for the Indian army.

I am all for the AK gun if they allow full indigenous production and tot for the same.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom