What's new

K2 attempt: Russian climber dies in Skardu base camp

thats sad.....
but an attempt in winters was a step too far....
K2 unlike everest is not an easy mountain and in winters its at the worst...
Polar temperature..hurricane force winds..unpredictable weather and the mountain itself...
no wonder K2 has never been conquered in winters...
its sad he made it to the base camp and then died..
PA does provide air lift in situations like these..but may be the weather was too bad.

Yes PA does help these climbers but again we can't do much against the harsh weather of that terrain. Climbing K-2 in winters isn't a very wise thing to do in my opinion.

RIP the brave climber.

May I suggest that the Pakistani economy and tourism isn't the best point of emphasis. A man died doing what he loved. He knew the risks. I honor him for truly going for it, and living his life to the fullest. 99.9999% of us will never do anything 1/2 as bold as climbing K2.

Yes PA does help these climbers but again we can't do much against the harsh weather of that terrain. Climbing K-2 in winters isn't a very wise thing to do in my opinion.

RIP the brave climber.

Remember Colonel Khalid Rana, he helped a Slovenian climber I think, did a daring rope rescue from a Heli right beside the face of K2.

May I suggest that the Pakistani economy and tourism isn't the best point of emphasis. A man died doing what he loved. He knew the risks. I honor him for truly going for it, and living his life to the fullest. 99.9999% of us will never do anything 1/2 as bold as climbing K2.

dont forget...
every pakidtani living in major cities takes risk.every time they step out of their house...
there cpuld be a bomb fitted to the bus they are yravelling...the person sat next could be a suicide bomber .. or they coukd be staring down the barrel of a gun..with somebody asking for their car keys and money...
Brave Palistanis...life goes on as normal.

the biggest risk for thrill i will ever attempt will be rally driving...if i could ever do that.

dont forget...
every pakidtani living in major cities takes risk.every time they step out of their house...
there cpuld be a bomb fitted to the bus they are yravelling...the person sat next could be a suicide bomber .. or they coukd be staring down the barrel of a gun..with somebody asking for their car keys and money...
Brave Palistanis...life goes on as normal.
You should not attribute bravery to people who do not have much choice.
Its one thing to live in tought region as native and brave hardship as everybody does, and another to leave your cosy home and go there.

Rip to the climber but k2 is not the killer mountain ..this tittle has given to the nanga perbit..

You have raised a wonderful point sir.

Pakistan: little movement and Polish out of Nanga

20120213xsimone.jpg

20120213xdenis.jpg

20120213xcarlosalex.jpg

20120213xgiwreckage.jpg

Pakistan winter is colder even than northern Spain.

AB/TS) Another stormy weekend has held teams shivering in BC and the Pakistan winter is increasingly taking its toll: following the K2 Russians, now the Polish on Nanga Parbat are leaving premises.

Nanga Parbat

They say patience is key to paradise, but Simone is getting restless.

"Waiting, killing time, gathering patience, keeping the desire to climb Nanga Parbat, avoiding a thousand excuses to throw in the towel, resist the urge to be heroes (idiots) and go up at any price risking beyond any reasonable limit..," he fumed in his dispatch.

"Karl Gabl's weather reports are bad," Simone posted yesterday. "Tonight, the roar of the wind at high altitude has accompanied the sound of soft flakes of snow on the tent. We are resisting .... but we are also considering." Denis looks at the bright side: "health and good feelings are still letting me hope for success," he wrote.

The two climbers scouted up to C1 on the normal route this morning in case they need it on descent. Turns out the mountain is all theirs:

"Back in BC, we said good-bye to our Polish friends," Denis wrote. "They went down to valley – their expedition is over."

Gasherbrum I

The Spaniards, (Alex Txikon and Carlos Suarez) in Gerfried's international team, are just back from fixing rope to 6,700 meters - 100 meters below target due to the cold. "Time flies," Alex reflected. "It's been a month since the expedition started!"

On the normal route, Polish Adam and Janusz set up Camp 3 last Thursday before heading back to BC to weather the storm.

Winter 2011-12 Pakistan teams

800px-Nanga_Parbat_029.jpg

nanga-parbat-from-fairy-meadows1.jpg

Nanga Parbat (literally, Naked Mountain from Urdu) is the ninth highest mountain on Earth. Located in Gilgit-Baltistan, Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom