What's new

Jointness a Threat To Beating China: Analyst

gpit

Reaction score
By christopher p. cavas
Published: 7 Apr 2010 16:40

The Pentagon's relentless pressure on each of the armed services to cooperate more fully with each other and pool their resources could leave the United States unprepared to face its most capable potential adversary, a key strategist said April 7.

"The secular religion of jointness," said Bryan McGrath, is making the Department of Defense "ill-prepared" to defend commercial globalization that in turn is underwritten by sea power.

"The inability to do this leaves our country ill-prepared to meet the one adversary we could face - China," he added.

McGrath, a retired U.S. Navy officer who was the primary author of the service's latest maritime strategy, spoke in Washington at a Heritage Foundation panel on sea power.

"Jointness has made our armed services the envy of the world," McGrath noted. "No nation can match our ability to synchronize combat power. It is also a paradigm of acquisition and strategic planning.

"But jointness has gone too far," he charged. "It is an impediment to intellectual and strategic thinking."

With a need to embrace and support the needs of the land services, the Navy, McGrath said, is unable in the current climate to strongly advocate for sea power. A military strategy that clearly favored sea power over airpower and land power would never make its way out of the Pentagon, he said.

"Sea power must receive greater emphasis as an enabler of a grand strategy in a multipolar world," he declared. "But I fear it will not."

The Pentagon has not yet faced up to the challenges represented by a growing Chinese blue-water navy, McGrath said. "We are whistling past the graveyard."

A response to the Chinese should be based on a maritime strategy, McGrath said. "We must find a way to have a national debate about sea power and its centrality to the world."

The Chinese themselves are pointing the way, McGrath observed.

"We must find a way to embrace Confucian duality as effectively as the Chinese do.:eek: We should work to encourage good behavior, but we need to be thinking more about what a war with China would look like. Planning to fight a war with China does not guarantee a war or make it more likely. It simply means that nations should be prepared to fight and win a war they cannot afford to lose, in this case with China."

In response, one veteran naval strategist rose from the audience to challenge McGrath.

The Navy often is described as arrogant in its relations with other services, observed Dick Diamond, a retired naval officer. "Now you have us believe the Navy is drinking the Kool-Aid of jointness."

A key test as to how far the Navy and Air Force are embracing jointness, Diamond noted, will be the release in about two months of internal reports on the Air-Sea Battle, a Navy-Air Force effort to pool their resources to meet tactical challenges on the battlefield.

"The report that the joint Air Force-Navy cell gives their leadership, and what their service chiefs sent forward to the secretary of defense, will answer the question of whether the services are really on board with jointness or not," Diamond told a reporter Wednesday. "It will be a perfect laboratory."

Jointness a Threat To Beating China: Analyst - Defense News

Why do Americans think of themselves as the world Is the United States strong and powerful China can not, this is American hegemony, I am disgusted with the development of Chinese military power is to the unification of China, to protect China, the United States military forces the development of it is a threat to other countries!
美国人为什么总是认为自己是世界第一,难道美国强大,中国就不能强大,这是美国人的霸权主义,我很反感,中国人发展军事力量是为了统一中国,保护中国,美国发展军事力量却是威胁别的国家!

Why do Americans think of themselves as the world Is the United States strong and powerful China can not, this is American hegemony, I am disgusted with the development of Chinese military power is to the unification of China, to protect China, the United States military forces the development of it is a threat to other countries!
美国人为什么总是认为自己是世界第一,难道美国强大,中国就不能强大,这是美国人的霸权主义,我很反感,中国人发展军事力量是为了统一中国,保护中国,美国发展军事力量却是威胁别的国家!

米国人滴原子弹:保卫和平的力量
伊朗或者朝鲜滴原子弹:威胁世界和平的恐怖主义势力

真tmd邪了。。。还整天说中国威胁论 实际上他们能够渲染中国威胁论是因为我们还没有足够的威慑能力。如果我们有米帝那么强大,我们的军队一样的会被视为保卫和平的力量。

不过,米帝的宣传主要是为了忽悠本国公民的。广大第三世界人民都知道米帝的真实嘴脸。:china:

What is the problem here, boys? No one is forcing China to do anything. This is purely an internal US matter. The US military is going under some critical self review. If it is published for the public, why are you so afraid? Guess the fact that the US military is not so inflexible and intolerant of self criticisms as many thought, eh? Perhaps this ability to self criticize and change is what the Chinese military is so afraid of.

I don't think J-10 is unhappy about the fact that US military is having some internal debates or reviews, rather he was unhappy with the US constantly singles out china as a military threat. The focus of China's military is for national defense, whereas that of the US is to maintain its world hegemony.

Below_freezing echoed by saying in Chinese that US with the world's strongest military portraits itself as a "keeper of world peace", but deems china somewhat as a threat to this "world peace" which is rather unfair. The only way for China to be also seen as a peaceful force is if it can stand on equal terms with the US.

I don't think J-10 is unhappy about the fact that US military is having some internal debates or reviews, rather he was unhappy with the US constantly singles out china as a military threat. The focus of China's military is for national defense, whereas that of the US is to maintain its world hegemony.

Below_freezing echoed by saying in Chinese that US with the world's strongest military portraits itself as a "keeper of world peace", but deems china somewhat as a threat to this "world peace" which is rather unfair. The only way for China to be also seen as a peaceful force is if it can stand on equal terms with the US.
Why should we not? What is the purpose of the military if not to see anything as a potential threat and advises the political leadership of the nation's options?

Why should we not? What is the purpose of the military if not to see anything as a potential threat and advises the political leadership of the nation's options?

Of course you can and that's what the US is doing, it is just not so fun to be on the receiving end of it hence the complaining.

Of course you can and that's what the US is doing, it is just not so fun to be on the receiving end of it hence the complaining.
Not sure if I can whine on behalf of the US since China is certainly doing the same kind of assessment about US.

I think the difference is that chinese tend to think anything published is meant to be a sort of supressed statement to the opponent (Almost like a veiled challenge), rather than just for publishing's sake.

This is why chinese do not publish their strategic review, but westerners think they are hiding something. (not being open enough)

I think the difference is that chinese tend to think anything published is meant to be a sort of supressed statement to the opponent (Almost like a veiled challenge), rather than just for publishing's sake.

This is why chinese do not publish their strategic review, but westerners think they are hiding something. (not being open enough)
The Chinese members here are getting their panties in a bunch over a non-DoD sponsored event.

The speaker is Bryan McGrath...
McGrath, a retired U.S. Navy officer who was the primary author of the service's latest maritime strategy, spoke in Washington at a Heritage Foundation panel on sea power.

Bryan McGrath
UVA NROTC followed by tours at sea in an FF, three cruisers, and command of USS BULKELEY (DDG 84). Recipient of the Admiral Arleigh Burke Award for operational excellence as Operations Officer in USS VELA GULF (CG 72) and the Admiral Elmo Zumwalt Award for visionary leadership in 2006. Tours ashore include aide to Military Sealift Command, Special Assistant/Speechwriter to the Chief of Naval Operations, and Division Chief of Interoperability at the Joint theater Air and Missile Defense Organization (JTAMDO) in the Joint Staff. He holds an MA from Catholic University and the Naval War College, is a graduate of the Joint Forces Staff College, and is currently enrolled in MIT's Seminar XXI. He is presently serving as Special Assistant to N3/N5 for drafting of the next Maritime Strategy. His waterfront reputation is without equal as a promoter of SNA, as witnessed by his quarterly hosting of COs and major commanders to discuss topical maritime issues.

The Heritage Foundation is a non-US government organization and yes, it is an ideologically and conservative organization. Still...Whatever the Heritage Foundation said, the US military does NOT consider HF's opinions to be representative.

What McGrath is doing is expressing his own opinions of what the US military should do -- reform -- in the face of rising China's military capabilities and projections in Asia. Whether or not the US DoD take McGrath seriously is a separate issue and the US SecDef's opinion about McGrath will not be published.

The fact that our Chinese forum members are so upset about a civilian's opinion regarding China is telling enough of their fear of the freedoms we enjoy in the US.

okey dookie

I don't complain. And I like freedom. Just not Iraqi style(but no saddam either).

okey dookie

I don't complain. And I like freedom. Just not Iraqi style(but no saddam either).
Here is my take on what McGrath is trying to say...

To start, let us be clear about some wordings. An 'army' is a general word, it can mean to be encompassing of the totality of a country's armed forces, including militias. So to be clear, we should use the word 'force' to denote individual branches, such as 'air forces' or 'naval forces' and 'land forces'.

To have a better understanding of what McGrath is trying to say, at least from my perspective, we should go back to history a bit. Historically there have been two major forces: land and naval. The land forces, aka 'the army', are usually occupational. Whatever 'the army' conquered, it holds. The naval forces, aka 'the navy', are usually projectionary, meaning their ships are usually symbols and mechanisms of enforcing a country's will beyond the country's borders. But a navy's ability to be an occupational force is very limited. The air forces did not really became a viable projectionary force until WW II when technology enabled an air fleet the ability to cross large expanse of oceans and continents to enforce the country's will. In WW I, the air forces were mainly battlefield forces under the land forces' jurisdictions. After WW II, air forces became legitimately projectionary but still unable to be occupational and probably never will be. That leave the land forces to be the final arbiter of a country's will as occupations are generally long term.

What McGrath is saying, and even though I am of the 'air force' I largely agree with him, is that in the case of China as a rising military force in Asia, that rise is primarily naval in method and the US should respond in kind. Jointness should give way to greater flexibility to use the appropriate force and to high prioritize the necessary national resources towards that force. American 'land forces' are unlikely to meet Chinese 'land forces' in combat. That leave their respective 'air forces' and 'naval forces' as primary means to enforce their countries' wills.

Currently...Between the two 'air forces', the USAF is the greater projectionary force and is the more responsive one over all forces. It is only the 'air force' that can cross a distance of several hundreds km in a matter of hours rather than days compared to 'naval forces' and the USAF with our B-1s and B-2s can make our presence known very quickly. But of all the forces, the 'air force' is the least capable in terms of projecting long term presence to enforce a country's will. That leave the US with the two historical forces: the US Army and the US Navy, to deal with Asia in general and China in particular. And we have already ruled out the US Army.

What is the problem here, boys? No one is forcing China to do anything. This is purely an internal US matter. The US military is going under some critical self review. If it is published for the public, why are you so afraid? Guess the fact that the US military is not so inflexible and intolerant of self criticisms as many thought, eh? Perhaps this ability to self criticize and change is what the Chinese military is so afraid of.

Tibet-is-not-part-of-China-conception is White American Propaganda!

That is why Western Whites are common enemy of Chinese!

Back
Top Bottom