What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 6]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If PAF would have tried to get everything installed right at the manufacturing stage, we would still be talking dates of raising first unit. Wrong strategy IMO. When JF-17 was being inducted, three requirements were on priority.

1. Replace legacy aircraft
2. Boost airspace defence through BVR capability
3. Increase maritime defence capability

As you can see this is where PAF has stressed first. Precision strike is a broad term. Any guided weapon is a precision weapon. C-802 is a precision weapon so are LS series bombs. What we are talking here is thermal/ electro-optic acquisition and laser designation / guidance in a targetting pod. This capability was not required immediately as F-16s already had it and they were performing very well. And if it was to be required on urgent basis, WMD Chinese pod could fulfil the requirement. PAF did not see such need and focus remained on first three priorities as I mentioned.

It is only now that PAF is turning it's attention to precision strike capability. Good thing that technology has advanced and meanwhile options have increased as well (e.g. French / European hardware). As is evident by Air Marshal's statement who is visiting France, PAF is now examining these options and logically this will be next capability to be added. PAF is/ should now focusing on following capabilities.

1. Targetting pod integration
2. Air refuelling
3. EW suite integration (DRFM included)
4. Reconnaissance pod integration

As to why not have all these capabilities right from the beginning? Answer lies in my first sentence. Integration and upgradation is a painfully slow process and our resources as well as expertise are limited compared to aviation giants like Lockheed or Dassault. Better to have critical capabilities first than to have none at all.
What are you talking about? I never said that PAF should have employed all the advanced capabilities from the beginning. I just want to see that all the improvements planned (and some others that make good sense) by PAF for Block 3 are incorporated.

What are you talking about? I never said that PAF should have employed all the advanced capabilities from the beginning. I just want to see that all the improvements planned (and some others that make good sense) by PAF for Block 3 are incorporated.

I'm afraid it will be same for Blk3 as well. While most of critical areas are likely to be addressed, upgrades are a never ending process. New technologies will keep emerging, our neighbour will keep increasing their strength and export customers will keep asking for something new. Block 3 will roll out much better than Blk 2 but it will go on upgrade path within few years again. This is the story of every modern fighter be it F-16, Rafale, Eurofighter or Sukhois.

Well, according to Wikipedia, the role of No.2 Squadron has been changed from Air Superiority (AS) to Multi-role (MR). Operational Profile of JF-17 Thunder is making its impact. I think considering the capabilities of Thunder and Masroor AFB location, major roles by No.2 will be AD and Maritime Strike.

So now how many JF17 is operational and how many sqdrn of JF17 we have?

The bitter reality is when an Indian officials exposes own weakness, fan boys consider it a ploy for more funding or weapons but when some one else makes a statement.....it's the harsh truth....seems an acute case of indigestion to me.
to me it seems a ploy of getting more f-16s subsidized ..
if not than we have serious issue

PAF will always prefer western systems if they had a choice which they don't, however the Chinese are catching up fast in avionics. the Thales pod would allow the JFT to use western munitions in PAF possession.

So now how many JF17 is operational and how many sqdrn of JF17 we have?

3 operational
4th in the process and would be 1st block II equipped squadron

Here a bit bigger ...

JF-17 13-144 - no. 2 Sqn introduction.jpg

paf need to install ifr on no.2 sq fighters
and induct 2 more il-78 midas for maritime security

paf need to install ifr on no.2 sq fighters
and induct 2 more il-78 midas for maritime security
IFR will be added to the entire JF-17 fleet eventually. For now, PAF is focusing on filling in the numbers to complete the replacement job.

How come the serial number 13-144 become a part of new replacement for no 2 sqdrn. It should be having new jft having Blk 2 serials . It seems few planes picked from old inventory for just show case of equipping no 2

How come the serial number 13-144 become a part of new replacement for no 2 sqdrn. It should be having new jft having Blk 2 serials . It seems few planes picked from old inventory for just show case of equipping no 2

Yes older S# is confusing but by now all JF-17s being upgraded to block-2

Yes older S# is confusing but by now all JF-17s being upgraded to block-2
Actually my fault.A Squadron consists of 18 air crafts so two sqdns 36 and above first 36 upto 54 birds will form 3rd sqdn.

No 26, 16, 2, 14, 18 sqdn x18 = 90 aircraft and CCS with 10 would make block 1 and 2
older generation had 22/24 aircraft per sqdn but F16 and newer aircraft with high availability i guess 18 per sqdn

ANy update on Twin Seat variant ,Any pic wind tunnel testing ?Any one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom