What's new

Japan’s message to Arun Jaitley: Remove $3-bn retrospective demand

Aepsilons

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Japan has asked the Narendra Modi-led government to drop a $3-billion retrospective tax bill raised on Japanese companies operating in India, calling those “unreasonable” and “discriminatory”. It has said the demand could impact future Japanese investments in to India. Tokyo is hoping for relief in Union budget that finance minister Arun Jaitley will present in Parliament in July first week.

The tax demands include a massive $2-billion bill on Mitsubishi and an about $600-million bill on Honda. “Some of the Indian subsidiaries of the Japanese companies, such as Honda and Mitsubishi, are facing unreasonably huge tax demands”, notes a document prepared by Japan and sent to the Indian ministries of finance and commerce.

Tamaki Tsukada, minister, economic section, at the embassy of Japan, told the Indian Express that “these (tax demands) have created a lot of irritation and affected the interest of Japanese companies to invest in India”.

The concerns were raised by Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe at the summit meeting with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh earlier this year. But despite a joint statement to create “predictability and transparency in terms of business environment, including tax administration”, the issue was left unresolved by the UPA government, Tsukada said.

While the tax demand on Honda under Section 40(a) (i) of the Income Tax Act is large, the demand on Mitsubishi at $2 billion (as big as the one on Vodafone) has been hotly contested by Japan.

The demand, as Tsukada explained, stretches over almost a decade of Mitsubishi’s operations in India. Under the section, payment made towards the purchase of goods by Indian buyers from overseas suppliers is subject to withholding tax. The problem, he said, is that when these companies set up shop in India, the tax provisions did not exist and so it was unfair to apply them now.

The Japanese government has also contested that the section violates the India-Japan Tax Treaty. It hopes the tax demands will be rescinded since its companies are in the manufacturing sector, and India wants to expand the sector through bilateral cooperation with many of these companies from Japan. The demand “amounts to a discrimination prohibited under Article 24(3) of the India Japan Tax Treaty to disallow payments for goods purchased by the Indian subsidiaries from a non-resident”. It goes on to add that “such a situation has a significantly adverse impact on their business in India”.

The tax issue will also be flagged in the Japan India chamber of commerce memorandum to be submitted to Jaitley in June. Japan’s ambassador to India, Takeshi Yagi, who has requested for an appointment to meet the finance minister, is also expected to mention the demand.

Indian tax rules are being repeatedly challenged by multi-national companies, of late. Japan joins the list of countries that already have substantially big tax disputes with India.

Indian Express-organised Idea Exchange recently, law minister Ravishankar Prasad said he was against the application of retrospective tax laws except in rare cases, though the government should retain the power to use it. A former revenue secretary said the rise in demands stem from the acute pressure on the tax departments to meet the budget targets for reduction of the revenue deficit set by the government in the past few years.

Reference: INDIAN EXPRESS

Japan has asked the Narendra Modi-led government to drop a $3-billion retrospective tax bill raised on Japanese companies operating in India, calling those “unreasonable” and “discriminatory”. It has said the demand could impact future Japanese investments in to India. Tokyo is hoping for relief in Union budget that finance minister Arun Jaitley will present in Parliament in July first week.
This bill will be thrown out after this budget or the retrospective part will be removed.

PS - Are you a girl ?

Expect the bill to be thrown out. It was a regressive nonsense enacted by our predecessor useless government.

I'm glad to hear this, let's hope it happens!

Shinpaishinaide kudasai. Shikashi, anata no seifu wa mata, Beikoku kara jiyū ni naru hitsuyō ga arimasu. (google translation). :D

Hope to see great ties with between Japan and India.

Reference: INDIAN EXPRESS

While i do feel changes should be made to tax laws, foreign companies are misusing their holdings in India to withdraw profits without paying taxes. Indian govt should keep an close eyes of transfer of profits and funds to parent company.

While i do feel changes should be made to tax laws, foreign companies are misusing their holdings in India to withdraw profits without paying taxes. Indian govt should keep an close eyes of transfer of profits and funds to parent company.

The amount of capital Japanese have invested in India is substantial, let us also not forget the jobs they create. I believe that India has much to offer and that they need to implement the same policies as PM Narendra Modi did in Gujarat , which attracted Japanese investors into his state. If India were to adopt same policies throughout the republic, then the possibilities are limitless. As you know, Japan has already expressed interest in transferring some of our investment capital from China to India. But the environment has to be right for us.

I hope Indian government has foresight to take advantage of this.

The amount of capital Japanese have invested in India is substantial, let us also not forget the jobs they create. I believe that India has much to offer and that they need to implement the same policies as PM Narendra Modi did in Gujarat , which attracted Japanese investors into his state. If India were to adopt same policies throughout the republic, then the possibilities are limitless. As you know, Japan has already expressed interest in transferring some of our investment capital from China to India. But the environment has to be right for us.

I hope Indian government has foresight to take advantage of this.
While i agree with you, it is noted that companies transfer money to cover to avoid taxation. Companies invest in India because they get higher returns to investments and Indias get jobs and taxes. The matter with retrospective tax was with Vodafone but Mitsubishi corporation are VAT defaulters, They had applied for exemption of VAT and the matter was pending under the court, but the court didn't give them any exemptions of VAT for which they have been charged.

Back
Top Bottom