What's new

Japan, UK, Italy team up to build next-gen fighter

Indos

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

Japan, UK, Italy team up to build next-gen fighter​

I have some doubt about this, but let's see how it goes.
Nice that it doesn't involve the US.

Interested to see the prototype in the next Ace Combat, haha!

I wonder how exports will work, considering Japan's export laws..

They are easing restrictions

I guess its one of those believe it when I see it moments, people have been talking about Japan changing its laws to allow for exports for the last 2 decades, and I have yet to see a major sale go through. Not to mention the Brits usually try to sell stuff to Saudi and elsewhere that see platforms get involved in many conflicts(yemen) with civilian casualties, that Japan is more sensitive over, compared to the Brits/French/US/etc.

I guess its one of those believe it when I see it moments, people have been talking about Japan changing its laws to allow for exports for the last 2 decades, and I have yet to see a major sale go through. Not to mention the Brits usually try to sell stuff to Saudi and elsewhere that see platforms get involved in many conflicts(yemen) with civilian casualties, that Japan is more sensitive over, compared to the Brits/French/US/etc.

That is true, the law regarding export has been revised. Japan has offered Indonesia their Mogami frigates since 2021

AI powered fighter jet to be developed by UK, Japan and Italy – BBC News​

After hearing the professor talking, Tempest is basically the same with KF21/IFX program aims

1670834989373.png

The Ministry of National Defense announced yesterday that South Korea's indigenous Unmanned Combat Aerial Vehicle (UCAV) will be operated in tandem with KF-21 Boramae fighters.

Known as KAORI-X (가오리-X), South Korea's indigenous UCAV has been under development by Korean Air Aerospace Division (KAL-ASD) and the Agency for Defense Development (ADD) since early-to-mid 2010s.

The latest announcement confirms the theory that Kaori-X UCAV is not a standalone development. Instead, it will be operated alongside KF-21 Boramae in a similar manner as "Loyal Wingman" being developed by Boeing Australia.

BAE Systems awarded GBP1.4 billion to lead UK GCAP future fighter effort​

20 FEBRUARY 2023

by Gareth Jennings

bsp_53834-jdw-20752.jpg

BAE Systems has been awarded GBP1.4 billion to lead the UK's Global Combat Air Programme effort as part of the Future Combat Air System Acquisition Programme's Concept and Assessment Phase. (Crown Copyright)

The UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) has awarded BAE Systems GBP1.4 billion (USD1.7 billion) to lead the country's Global Combat Air Programme (GCAP) effort.

Announced on 15 February, the award is a continuation of the Future Combat Air System (FCAS) research and development work of Team Tempest that comprises the MoD, BAE Systems, Leonardo, MBDA, and Rolls-Royce, and internationalises it under the GCAP programme recently announced with Italy and Japan.

“The FCAS Acquisition Programme (FCAS AP) Concept and Assessment Phase … will further the UK-led concept and assessment phase option by working with international partners to undertake concept development, technology maturation, technical demonstration planning, and critical programme enablers ahead of outline business case 2 (OBC2) option downselect,” the MoD said in its contract notification. OBC2 will provide the MoD with the basis to initiate the formal procurement stage.

Back
Top Bottom