What's new

Japan 'To Announce Disputed Island Purchase'

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Japan 'To Announce Disputed Island Purchase'
TOKYO, Sept 10, 2012 (AFP) -Japan's government on Monday will rubber stamp plans to nationalise a group of islands at the centre of a territorial dispute with China, reports said, a move likely to raise hackles in Beijing.
Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda's cabinet will meet over plans to buy three of the islands, known as Senkaku in Japan and Diaoyu in China, Chief Cabinet Secretary Osamu Fujimura told a news conference.
The government's top spokesman did not elaborate, but local media reported that ministers would officially approve plans to pay the private Japanese landowners of the islands 2.05 billion yen ($26 million).
Often testy Japan-China ties took a turn for the worse in August when pro-Beijing activists landed on one of the islands.
They were arrested by Japanese authorities and deported. Days later about a dozen Japanese nationalists raised their country's flag on the same island, Uotsurijima, prompting protests in cities across China.
Reports emerged in the past week of the Japanese government's planned purchase, a move commentators see as trying to find a middle path between pressures from vocal nationalists at home and an increasingly assertive China.
Deputy Chief Cabinet Secretary Hiroyuki Nagahama reportedly met the landowners last week and struck the deal, which includes Uotsurijima, the largest island in the chain.
The government stepped in with its bid after Tokyo's outspoken right-wing governor, Shintaro Ishihara, surprised everyone by saying he wanted to buy the archipelago for the metropolitan government.
Ishihara had wanted to develop the chain as a way of stamping Japan's sovereignty over it, but the national government is expected to keep the islands as they are.
The government currently leases four islands and owns a fifth. It does not allow people to visit and has a policy of not building anything there.
The islands sit in a strategically important shipping area and valuable mineral resources are thought to be nearby.

Why doesn't Japan resolve the territorial dispute according to just and moral principles?

lol, Doesn't Japan know that China is a now Super Power and injustices to China can mean complete annihilation?

Within 10-15 years China will be competing with the US in almost every field.

These aren't the days of the 1930's to the 1940's.

China is going smack Japan now.

Lets see what happens. Will Japan ask its master USA for help. I think the US doesn't even care about Japan.

Japan doesn't even have real military force or nuclear weapons.

Japan may as well solve her territorial disputes with China and Russia according to just and moral principles.

People harping about the UN to be reformed, that will never happen, because China and Russia will never allow it.

The only way is to think of the box, and that China and Russia should form their own UN along with the Islamic World.

What moral and just principles are you talking about? US included Daiyu Island in its Okinawa treaty in 1971 and give this island alone with Okinawa back to Japan. Now US is acting all innocent saying he stays neutral, while he was the real troublemaker that caused this dispute in the first place.

We all know who created the mess in the first place and who now gives Japan the 'audacity' to iterate her sovereignty on those islands. But the move by Noda here, I believe, is to take the loony Tokyo mayor, Shintaro Ishihara, out of the international spot light and not to further antagonize China and Taiwan, for now anyway.

Why doesn't Japan resolve the territorial dispute according to just and moral principles?

lol, Doesn't Japan know that China is a now Super Power and injustices to China can mean complete annihilation?

Within 10-15 years China will be competing with the US in almost every field.

These aren't the days of the 1930's to the 1940's.

China is going smack Japan now.

Lets see what happens. Will Japan ask its master USA for help. I think the US doesn't even care about Japan.

Japan doesn't even have real military force or nuclear weapons.

Japan may as well solve her territorial disputes with China and Russia according to just and moral principles.

People harping about the UN to be reformed, that will never happen, because China and Russia will never allow it.

The only way is to think of the box, and that China and Russia should form their own UN along with the Islamic World.

China is not super power yet, Countries in Asia look to it in suspicion.

1_162859_1.jpg

1_162922_1.JPG

1_162947_1.JPG

1_163004_1.JPG

1_163019_1.jpg

My surprise is that how can people become so sensational about something they have never owned in its modern history. Yes China has historical claim to Diaoyu Island, but so does China have historical claim to part of the Siberia. What does that prove?
The last time China owned Daiyu Island was in 19th century and going by the name of Qing Dynasty, for now the latest treaty about this Island was to hand it over to Japan by US. So the only way if China wants to reclaim it back is no other way than take it back militarily, but that is something never going to be happened in this century in my opinion. Since US is the cause of this dispute, they should come out make a stand instead hiding like a coward behind words of staying neutral.

My surprise is that how can people become so sensational about something they have never owned in its modern history. Yes China has historical claim to Diaoyu Island, but so does China have historical claim to part of the Siberia. What does that prove?
The last time China owned Daiyu Island was in 19th century and going by the name of Qing Dynasty, for now the latest treaty about this Island was to hand it over to Japan by US. So the only way if China wants to reclaim it back is no other way than take it back militarily, but that is something never going to be happened in this century in my opinion. Since US is the cause of this dispute, they should come out make a stand instead hiding like a coward behind words of staying neutral.

I'm not sure China won't start anything if Japan builds some kind military infrastructure on the island or or begins oil/gas explorations in this general area. The pressures are simply too huge for the party to take actions other than rhetoric. The point is Japan knows this and the burden for peace or war is on her.

I'm not sure China won't start anything if Japan builds some kind military infrastructure on the island or or begins oil/gas explorations in this general area. The pressures are simply too huge for the party to take actions other than rhetoric. The point is Japan knows this and the burden for peace or war is on her.
I think the burder is on US, as it was the original administrator of the island, and it was through its hand that this island became under Japan.

Let me tell you how exactly this is going to be played out, after China strongly protests and demands, under the strong urge of US, Japanese government will downplay its claim to the island, and Chinese government and its people feel that they have saved face in this whole thing and forget about while the island is still under the adminstration of Okinawa.

US has already said that its treaty with Japan covers the Senkakus which means if China takes military step, US will react militarily. Is not China able to read between lines?

China is now feeling how Japan felt before 7th December, 1941. China's maritime trade will be blocked by USA the same way USA blocked Japan's maritime trade forcing China to take drastic measures like militarily occupy areas or sea lanes which could provide China its required resources. US is already telling the world that China is occupying Tibet the same way it once told that Japan had been occupying French Indochina whereas Japan had actually liberated French Indochina from French occupation. Then US will ask China's neighbors to attack China the same way US asked Chiang Kai shek to attack Japanese troops which were stationed in China legally through a treaty. Then US start propaganda as if China is imperialistic expansionist the same way US portrayed Japan the years prior to the World War II. China will try its best to make compromises possible for it and avoid conflicts just like how Japan tried before its counter attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941. But nobody listen to China as nobody listened to Japan and China's efforts to avoid war will depicted as China efforts to attack other countries. Now, US will make a plan of wholesale nuking of China just like what US did in case of Japan and will compel China to attack US positions first. US will need to legitimize its invasion and occupation of China as it needed in its invasion and occupation of Japan. China being cornered and frustrated will become undecided and nervous. That will be the moment US will send an ultimatum just as it sent the Hull Note or ultimatum to Japan to accept some conditions which the Japanese could not for the sake of national security. A nervous China will have no other way than to attack and tear apart the noose tightened around its neck. And this is when US will have declared formal war against China. US will invade and kill the Chinese the same way it killed the Japanese while invading Japan. Just like how Douglas MacArthur decided to drop as many as 49 megaton atomic bombs in China during the Korean war, US Pacific commander will draw such plan and this time it will be executed. US will then hold a military tribunal and will execute all the Chinese leaders as it executed all the Japanese leaders after the Tokyo Trial. China will be split into many countries and they will start seeing the Chinese the same way Chinese today see the Japanese. US troops will be stationed in a small country called China the same way it is today stationed in Japan.

I think the burder is on US, as it was the original administrator of the island, and it was through its hand that this island became under Japan.

Hilary did change her tone over the weekend on sideline of the APEC meeting in Vladivostok where she called for restraints of her two allies in the disputes. There's no doubt the US can influence Japan in the Diaoyu disputes, the question is whether it's in her interest for these two former enemies to become friends. I think she'll rein in Tokyo a bit but let the disputes continue indefinitely. LOL, the paternalistic days of the US are gone and now the only important thing for her is self interest- divide and rule.

Oops, General Timetravel is here!

Hilary did change her tone over the weekend on sideline of the APEC meeting in Vladivostok where she called for restraints of her two allies in the disputes. There's no doubt the US can influence Japan in the Diaoyu disputes, the question is whether it's in her interest for these two former enemies to become friends. I think she'll rein in Tokyo a bit but let the disputes continue indefinitely. LOL, the paternalistic days of the US are gone and now the only important thing for her is self interest- divide and rule.

It learned very well from its formal master UK. Look what UK did in South Asia and Middle East.

Oops, General Timetravel is here!

I do believe that Japan and China have closer culture than say Pakistan and India.

Pakistan and India have vastly different cultures.

Why doesn't China simply take this issue to the UN?

I do believe that Japan and China have closer culture than say Pakistan and India.

Pakistan and India have vastly different cultures.

Why doesn't China simply take this issue to the UN?

China and Japan's cultures are close but the people were never harmonious and it'll probably take a generation or two to forget the recent past histories if nothing goes wrong for the meantime. I'm sure you know the familiar feelings with your neighbor.

Lat time when China let foreign powers decided her fate she was greatly humiliated and round up divided by them as spoils. I would think from on, if she can help it, she would only abides to rules where she has some inputs on them, especially when it comes to her sovereignty.

Back
Top Bottom