Jailed Amir ‘shattered’

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Jailed Amir ‘shattered’
AFP | | (47 minutes ago) Today
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s brilliant young paceman Mohammad Amir is shattered at being jailed for deliberately bowling no-balls but will come back a clean player and a good man, a former mentor said Friday.

The 19-year-old left-arm bowler, once regarded as the hottest new talent in the game, was sent to the Feltham young offenders institute for six months for his role in fixing part of Lord’s Test against England in August 2010.

His Test captain Salman Butt was sent down for 30 months, fellow new-ball partner Mohammad Asif one year and agent Mazhar Majeed 32 months after they took money to set up deliberate no-balls during the match.

Asif Bajwa, whose academy in the garrison city of Rawalpindi groomed Amir in the early 1990s, said the youngster was “mentally shattered”.

“I told him that he should be mentally prepared for this, but once he comes I will hide him from this cruel world and make him a better human being and a clean cricketer,” Bajwa told AFP, saying he spoke to Amir on Thursday.

“He is very worried about his future. I was talking to him on phone every day and I have told him that once he comes back I will not allow him to meet anyone, he needs mental peace,” said Bajwa.

Amir was the only player to plead guilty, a step which Judge Jeremy Cooke said “took courage” and saved him a nine-month sentence.

Bajwa, 43, said the verdict was inevitable after such damning evidence but “very, very sad for a youngster”.

But he refused to accept any blame for not better grooming the prodigy, instead pointing the finger at team management.

“As a young boy he was very disciplined and straight forward but once you come into the limelight, into international cricket, it’s tough to handle yourself,” said Bajwa.

“I think 80 percent of the blame goes to the management of the England tour. Has anyone called manager Yawar Saeed? Has anyone asked the security manager of the tour how unwanted people mixed up with the players? No one has done that,” he said.

“I fear more players will fall in the pits if strict measures are not taken,” said Bajwa.

“When you send your kids to school, you know a strict teacher will take care of his every move, but not in the Pakistan team.”

I think he will only be in prison for a few days. Will be an experience for life for him and hopefully will make him stronger in the future

UKBA has a policy of deporting non British prisoners ASAP.because prisons are always full to maximum capacity here...Too manty locals are regular residents of British Prisons..no room for foreigners....They wont complete their prison sentence in a British jail,and thats guaranteed..The jailing is only symbolic..soon they will fly back to Pakistan...

Yawar Saeed is also prime suspect, if rollback pages of his tour, you will find him traveling in chauffeur driving him in luxury car. Which is i think over 500 pound a day.Who is providing all these luxuries.

Its extremely sad ..Ameer was such an exciting bowler....Hope PCB takes care of him and nurtures him, he was just an immature kid...The other two fellas deserved this and maybe much more...

Back
Top Bottom