What's new

It's started: Robot Uprising Begins as China Turns to Machines to Fill in Gaps in the Workforce

This is one episode of a series of documentaries of 13th 5-year-plan.
Episode 2 is themed 工业强国 (Manufacturing powers a nation)

Since this documentary is in Chinese, I have written some simple introduction of each part of the video.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Start-7:22 1950s-2020s transformation of the steel industry in China, the foundation of all the industries

7:22-10:00 Numerous academies of bearing and the bearing industry, the most important component
10:00-12:10 Academy of High-speed Railway Bearing, ending the monopoly of western brands

12:10-16:05 blades, another key component, for nuclear generators, engines. etc

16:05- 20:50 Air industry

20:50-25:00 China's first tractor plant dating back to the 1st 5-year plan in 1950s
Mechanisation of Chinese agriculture

25:00-29:45 Electric bus, super-capacitor (12,000F-30,000F-80,000F), graphene

29:50-33:10 China South Railway Zhuzhou subsidiary, 0.02mm matters

33:15- 37:10 Crankshaft industry for ships

37:10 -38:50 Wind turbine blades exported to India

39:00-43:40 Robotics and automation
30 workers in charge of a robot-make-robot factory with annual production of 5000 robots
43:50- 45:00 chip maker robots
45:00- end Robot-theme wedding for robot engineers who make the robots :smitten:

@Götterdämmerung @Gibbs @Godman @Taygibay @Spectre @Species @litefire @danger007 @simple Brain @Rajaraja Chola @Mista @Tiqiu @grey boy 2 @Bussard Ramjet @PARIKRAMA @Śakra @Echo_419 @proud_indian @ito @Ankit Kumar 002 @Fattyacids @terranMarine @Maira La @UKBengali @PaklovesTurkiye @Danish saleem @Kiss_of_the_Dragon @Beast @CAPRICORN-88 @Nan Yang @Local_Legend @AViet @waz @Srinivas @itachii @oprih @Nadhem Of Ibelin @ahojunk @cirr @TaiShang @Local_Legend @Jguo @jkroo @bolo @zeronet @mike2000 is back @somsak @CAPRICORN-88 @kuge @Hu Songshan @Aero @Fattyacids @grey boy 2 @Rusty @SrNair @Daniel808 @Three_Kingdoms @Dungeness @Sinopakfriend @Chinese-Dragon @Chinese Bamboo @Keel @Raphael @AViet @onebyone @yusheng @Star Wars @Kaptaan @XenoEnsi-14 @Ryuzaki @Nilgiri @DESERT FIGHTER @AugenBlick @Areesh @Tipu7 @Devil Soul @Spring Onion @hussain0216 @bolo @TheTheoryOfMilitaryLogistics @yusheng @Mista @Spring Onion @LegitimateIdiot @Mirza Jatt @BDforever @Laozi @Odysseus @AsianUnion @kahonapyarhai @T-Rex @english_man @Muhammad Omar @Pulsar @faithfulguy @PakSword @endyashainin @waz @rashid.sarwar @danger007 @ito @unbiasedopinion @Arsalan @Basel @Djinn @Darmashkian @Shravan#22580 @Taygibay @bolo @Lure @PaklovesTurkiye @Economic superpower et al

Quite comprehensive covering from steel which is foundation of industry, to robotics which is one priority sector of "Made in China 2025", good video!

Quite comprehensive covering from steel which is foundation of industry, to robotics which is one priority sector of "Made in China 2025", good video!
Yes, from small components like bearing and blade to automation and robotics....

Gree in Zhuhai

Midea in Shunde

Siasun in Shenyang,

Estun in Nanjing

@Götterdämmerung @Gibbs @Godman @Taygibay @Spectre @Species @litefire @danger007 @simple Brain @Rajaraja Chola @Mista @Tiqiu @grey boy 2 @Bussard Ramjet@PARIKRAMA @Śakra @Echo_419 @proud_indian @ito @Ankit Kumar 002 @Fattyacids @terranMarine @Maira La @UKBengali @PaklovesTurkiye @Danish saleem @Kiss_of_the_Dragon @Beast @CAPRICORN-88 @Nan Yang @Local_Legend @AViet @waz @Srinivas @itachii @oprih @Nadhem Of Ibelin @ahojunk @cirr @TaiShang @Local_Legend @Jguo @jkroo @bolo @zeronet@somsak @CAPRICORN-88 @kuge @Hu Songshan @Aero @Fattyacids @grey boy 2 @Rusty @SrNair @Daniel808 @Three_Kingdoms @Dungeness @Horus @WebMaster @Sinopakfriend @Chinese-Dragon @Chinese Bamboo @Keel @Raphael @AViet @onebyone @yusheng @Star Wars @Kaptaan @XenoEnsi-14 @Ryuzaki @Nilgiri @DESERT FIGHTER @AugenBlick @Areesh @Tipu7 @Devil Soul @Spring Onion @hussain0216 @bolo @TheTheoryOfMilitaryLogistics @yusheng @Mista @Spring Onion @LegitimateIdiot @Mirza Jatt @BDforever @Laozi @Odysseus @AsianUnion @Arsalan @Joe Shearer @Nilgiri @liall @kahonapyarhai @T-Rex @english_man @Muhammad Omar @Pulsar @faithfulguy @PakSword @endyashainin @waz @rashid.sarwar @danger007 @ito @unbiasedopinion @Arsalan @Basel @Djinn @Darmashkian @Shravan#22580 @Taygibay @bolo @Lure @PaklovesTurkiye @Deino @Economic superpower @endyashainin et al

Last edited:

I verfied the QC of some robotic fabricators for blisk forging/machining in the chengdu plant that Pratt has couple years back. It is becoming very prevalent in the industries these days for sure. Thanks for the tag!

I verfied the QC of some robotic fabricators for blisk forging/machining in the chengdu plant that Pratt has couple years back. It is becoming very prevalent in the industries these days for sure. Thanks for the tag!
What's Pratt?

Yes, from small components like bearing and blade to automation and robotics....

Gree in Zhuhai

Midea in Shunde

Siasun in Shenyang,

Estun in Nanjing

On the demand side, we have seen China Mainland installing industrial robots at break-neck speed, in 2015 total 67,000 units were added to stock, followed by South Korea (37,000 units) and Japan (35,000 units). The top five markets (China Mainland, South Korea, Japan, US, Germany) account for three quarters of global sales. From 2015 to 2020, China plans to quadruple reaching 150 units per 10,000 workers, housing half of world's total stock of industrial robots.

On the supply side, Chinese robotics firms are increasingly prominent:
  • They accounted for 25% of domestic market in 2013, market share increase to 31% in 2015, it's expected to reach 50% by 2020 as per national "Made in China 2025" initiative.
  • Competition will get fierce, current global leaders are the "Big Four" of FANUC, Yaskawa, Kuka AG and ABB, other prominent manufacturers include Nachi-Fujikoshi, Yamaha Robotics, Denso Wave, Kawasaki Heavy Industries, all are very advanced. I am glad to see Chinese robotics firms like Siasun and Estun making huge progress! Other than in-house development, Midea acquiring Kuka AG (which has overtaken ABB, now world 3rd largest, behind FANUC and Yaskawa) is a very big boost.

Last edited:
This is another documentary, 8 episodes about China's industries, air in 2013.
Unfortunately, there are no English subtitles. So I also add some introduction of each part.

6+2 episodes documentaries on Chinese heavy industries (2013)
Jewels of Industrial Empire
Episode 2 国之砝码 The weights of the nation

(Start- 2:40) an industry museum where a lot of "first" are displayed

2:40-16:20 Compressors
(2:40-5:40) compressors of the West-East natural gas transmission project
Expert: there is no reason China has to import such compressors from abroad!

(5:40-15:00) Ethylene industry, equivalent to steel in petrochemical industry.
The foundation of ethylene industry is compressors.
The most important part of compressors is impeller, previously monopolised by GE.
With breakthroughs achieved by several high-skill workers, China has manufactured 800 big compressors by 2013, and saved 600 million dollars.

Expert: we have no way turning back. If we have to import these key components for ever, our industries are very dangerous during the wars.

(15:00-16:20) Apprenticeship in welding for compressors
Mr. Yang: I love my 12 students! They will be much stronger than me after I transfer my 40 years of expertise on welding to every one of them. I've sacrificed all my life to this company, it's hard to say goodbye

(16:20-20:20) the test day of new impellers, ending the monopoly of the west

20:30-30:00 Machine tools: from traditional to numerical-controlled
The lack of high-end machine tools was the pain of Chinese industry.
China has just exported the first high-end machine tool with indigenous numerical control system to Germany (2013).

Expert: It's the lifetime motivation for me and my mentor to develop our indigenous numerical control system. My mentor failed in his lifetime, but I will never give up.

30:20-47:40 Construction machinery industry
(XCMG, Xuzhou Construction Machinery Group)

History
: German engineers in 1980s: you can take photos and videos of all sections in our factory, you can't manufacture anyway no matter how you learn and what you see.
Now: We find the real competitor in China. (2006)
2012 Shanghai heavy construction machinery expo: XCMG signed the biggest deal of the expo, exporting 2000 units to South America.

Before: 100+ ton cranes relied on import before 2000.
39:30 Now 4500 tons crawler crane, biggest in the world, designed by a female engineer!

41:00 competition of construction machinery drivers
46:00 The biggest crawled crane designed by Ms Sun Li is used for the first time for a propylene tower, saving time from 3 months into 5 hours.

@Götterdämmerung @Gibbs @Godman @Taygibay @Spectre @Species @litefire @danger007 @simple Brain @Rajaraja Chola @Mista @Tiqiu @grey boy 2 @Bussard Ramjet@PARIKRAMA @Śakra @Echo_419 @proud_indian @ito @Ankit Kumar 002 @Fattyacids @terranMarine @Maira La @UKBengali @PaklovesTurkiye @Danish saleem @Kiss_of_the_Dragon @Beast @CAPRICORN-88 @Nan Yang @Local_Legend @AViet @waz @Srinivas @itachii @oprih @Nadhem Of Ibelin @ahojunk @cirr @TaiShang @Local_Legend @Jguo @jkroo @bolo @zeronet@somsak @CAPRICORN-88 @kuge @Hu Songshan @Aero @Arsalan @Fattyacids @grey boy 2 @Rusty @SrNair @Daniel808 @Three_Kingdoms @Dungeness @Horus @WebMaster @Sinopakfriend @Chinese-Dragon @Chinese Bamboo @Keel @Raphael @AViet @onebyone @yusheng @Star Wars @Kaptaan @XenoEnsi-14 @Ryuzaki @Nilgiri @DESERT FIGHTER @AugenBlick @Areesh @Tipu7 @Devil Soul @Spring Onion @hussain0216 @bolo @TheTheoryOfMilitaryLogistics @yusheng @Mista @Spring Onion @LegitimateIdiot @Mirza Jatt @BDforever @Laozi @Odysseus @AsianUnion @Arsalan @Joe Shearer @Nilgiri @liall @kahonapyarhai @T-Rex @english_man @Muhammad Omar @Pulsar @faithfulguy @PakSword @endyashainin @waz @rashid.sarwar @danger007 @ito @unbiasedopinion @Arsalan @Basel @Djinn @Darmashkian @Shravan#22580 @Taygibay @bolo @Lure @PaklovesTurkiye @Deino @Economic superpower @endyashainin et al

XCMG Group 4000-ton-level crawler crane

Last edited:
Last edited:
Its's the second time I watch this episode, I once watched it on TV.
This series of documentaries have comprehensively introduced the history and outlook of China's equipment industry, which is the foundation of China 2025 or China 2050. Millions of Chinese have watched these CCTV2 documentaries. Many people only know Haier, BYD, Lenovo and likes, but they have no idea of how Chinese workers and technicians are doing behind the scene. They are not producing a smart phone, an electric bus or an A/C, but what they are achieving lays the foundation of China's manufacturing.

Last edited:
On the demand side, we have seen China Mainland installing industrial robots at break-neck speed, in 2015 total 67,000 units were added to stock, followed by South Korea (37,000 units) and Japan (35,000 units). The top five markets (China Mainland, South Korea, Japan, US, Germany) account for three quarters of global sales. From 2015 to 2020, China plans to quadruple reaching 150 units per 10,000 workers, housing more than half of world's total stock of industrial robots.

On the supply side, Chinese robotics firms are increasingly prominent:
  • They accounted for 25% of domestic market in 2013, market share increase to 31% in 2015, it's expected to reach 50% by 2020 as per national "Made in China 2025" initiative.
  • Competition will get fierce, current global leaders are the "Big Four" of FANUC, Yaskawa, Kuka AG and ABB, other prominent manufacturers include Nachi-Fujikoshi, Yamaha Robotics, Denso Wave, Kawasaki Heavy Industries, all are very advanced. I am glad to see Chinese robotics firms like Siasun and Estun making huge progress! Other than in-house development, Midea acquiring Kuka AG (which has overtaken ABB, now world 3rd largest, behind FANUC and Yaskawa) is a very big boost.
This is good progress by China. China is relatively new in the robotics field but they are still in the mix battling it out with the big boys from Germany, korea and Japan. I'm impressed. I don't think any other Asian countries even come close. Still a lot of work to do, but congrats anyways!

This is good progress by China. China is relatively new in the robotics field but they are still in the mix battling it out with the big boys from Germany, korea and Japan. I'm impressed. I don't think any other Asian countries even come close. Still a lot of work to do, but congrats anyways!
Hope we can do it quicker. :china:

Back
Top Bottom