What's new

Istanbul 2020 Olympics

Ottoman-Turk

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
From Beijing to Moscow from Rio to Sydney, the Olympics have spanned continents, traversed intense political terrain, and remained competitive for bidders of all colors and creeds. That said, Turkish Prime Minister Erdogan recently questioned the IOC's fairness:

"No country with a majority of Muslim population has ever hosted the Olympics," Erdogan said in London after watching the Turkish women's basketball team beating Angola 72-50 in its first Olympic match.

"This is the third time for London, Madrid was the host twice," he said. "Tokyo has hosted three games. Istanbul has bid to host the Olympics five times but has never been handed the rights. This is not a fair approach."

Not yet jaded by his fourth rejection since the 2000 Olympics, Ergodan has been working to bolster Turkey's fifth bid to host the 2020 Games in Istanbul and to understand why Turkey's never won the bid. With a 75,000-person stadium already built, Ergodan's sparing no line of argument to help sway Jacques Rogge, head of the IOC.

While a number of other cities in Islamic countries have vied for the games in recent years including Cairo, Kuala Lumpur, and Doha, the winner won't be announced until September 7, 2013, in Buenos Aires.

Islamic practice has already caused some controversy in this Olympics with the dispute over whether Saudi Arabia's female Judo competitor Wojdan Shaherkani will be allowed to compete with her headscarf.

We know how Platini cheated on the Euro 2016 final with france and Turkey in the final and france win 7-6

What do you guys think , would be a great olympics on 2 continets ( asia and europe )

final logo Istanbul 2020

istanbul_2020_olimpiyat_logosu.jpg

A new 3rd airport will be built in Istanbul and a whole new finance center.

istanbul-buyuk2.jpg

finans-merkezine-2-ay-icinde-baslaniyor.jpg

5534704810_36025ddfd6.jpg

SuperStock_4163-12709.jpg

welcometoeurope_1.jpg

you dont have to be good at olympics , when looking at olympics china wasnt as good as now before the 1990s they were constantly lower , plus there has been many threads on how they win their medals with punishment . Also it aint about medal count its about hosting it , many not very countries at olympics hosted it .

Bosphorus

two-continents-tour-bosphorus-bridge-tour.jpg

ortakoy_camii_turkey_istanbul_bosphorus_high_resolution_desktop_1600x1200_wallpaper-1004426.jpg

bosphorus-istanbul.jpg

Turkish Telekom Arena Football Stadium

tt+arena.jpg

orjinal_turk_telekom_arena__11_04_25_01_21_29.jpg

Ataturk olympic stadium ( hosted 2005 champions league final )

atat%C3%BCrk-olimpiyat-stad%C4%B1.jpg

743409_detay.jpg

sukru saracoglu stadium - football

sukru_saracoglu.jpg

It would be good for turkey to host the Olympics..... If I had a vote I would vote for turkey.

However I have been to Istanbul and whilst trams and rail network is good, olympics puts a massive strain on public transport and this would need to accounted for preparations made.

Additionally whist it's great for the two weeks and it temporarily raises a countries profile one must properly plan what to do with the stadiums and so on after the Olympics. In Athens they are slowly rotting away...... In London the situation will be better but I suspect even London with its huge population won't need or be able to use fully all the infrastructure. Turkey should be aware of how expensive and ultimately loss making every Olympics have been.

Didn't some Gulf city like Doha or Dubai want to host the Olympics and Football World Cup?

By the way, Tehran was probably about to host the Olympics in 1984, but due to the revolution, war and so on, the host city was Los Angeles. In that case, Tehran would have been the first city in a Muslim majority country to host the Olympics.

Hidayet Turkoglu played for NBA for years

hidayet-turkoglu-yaz-spor-okullari-basliyor_b.jpg

Hidayet-Turkoglu-FIBA-World-Championship-2010-Wallpaper.jpg

Semih Erden

SemihShaq.jpg

Omer asik

20120326_ajw_ad4_216_extra_large.jpg

Ersan ilyasova

ersan-ilyasova-drive.jpg

mehmet okur

9476253.jpg

Enes kanter

enes-kanter.jpg

Mirsad Turkcan

8193224.jpg

Turkish basketball players in NBA

THERE WILL BE A THIRD BRIDGE WHICH WILL EASE TRANSPORT

kopru.jpg

AND A THIRD AIRPORT

istanbula_yapilacak_3_havalimanin_yeri_belirlendi_  1.jpg

PLEASE WATCH , EXTREMELY EXCITING FOR ME , LAST 5 SECONDS TURKEY - SERBIA 2010 FIBA WORLD CUP , WE LOST TO USA IN FINAL ( THEY ARE THE BEST )

Istanbul_2020_celebrate_making_short_list_Quebec_City_May_23_2012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I vote for turkey. if istanbul host Olympic, will turkey allow atheles from other countries to eat pork or drink alcohol?

Man I'm not even trying to think about how old I will be by then.

RUMELI HISARI

built before conquering Istanbul by FATIH SULTAN MEHMET

rumeli1.jpg

TRANSPORT IN ISTANBUL

turkey_istanbul_transport_3_483x396.jpg

trip-to-istanbul-transportation-getting-around-6.jpg

Istiklal Street

Istiklal_istanbul.jpg

historical tramvay

Caddesi_street_tram.jpg

Metrobus

Metrobus+Turkey+BRT.jpg

metrobus-project-in-istanbul-wins-a-usa-award.jpg

Istanbul Metro

istanbul_metro_haritasi.jpg

Te final Voting would be between Istanbul, Tokyo and Madrid.

It seems like it would be a tougH Competition between Istanbul and Tokyo

I vote for turkey. if istanbul host Olympic, will turkey allow atheles from other countries to eat pork or drink alcohol?

Dude drinking alcohol in public is very common in Turkey, do you think Turkey is Saudi Arabia or what ? :D Pork is not common though, nobody would say anything if they eat pork but finding it here is not that easy.

Back
Top Bottom