What's new

ISRO GSLV MkIII-M1 / Chandrayānam-2 (Chandrayaan-2) Mission: July 15, 2019

all the advancements ISRO has made over the years are indeed very impressive.
The orbiter seems quite high tech.
good luck
Impressive stuff. Best wishes.

My desire is to see ISRO and Pakistan's SUPARCO work on a command manned program.

I understand our budget isn't like that of SpaceX or blue origin or NASA but its important.

I don't think SpaceX and Blue Origin have as much funding as ISRO. Googling gives this :
In January 2015, SpaceX raised $1 billion in funding from Google and Fidelity, in exchange for 8.333% of the company, establishing the company valuation at approximately $12 billion.

Just that SpaceX is built on Elon Musk's dream of making humanity a multi-planetary species. ISRO is slowly building its capabilities.

@Hamartia Antidote , can you add something here ??

A total number of 38 soft landing attempts have been made, so far. The success rate is 52%.

SUPARCO has alot of catching up to do TBH i dont see it improving in atleast next 2 decades

Well, one glaring mistake that SUPARCO did was not join the South Asia Satellite program.

And in two decades I believe humanity will be on Mars, and there is a good chance that Indians and Pakistanis will cooperate there.

What are the scientific objectives of Chandrayaan 2? Why explore the Lunar South Pole?

Moon provides the best linkage to Earth’s early history. It offers an undisturbed historical record of the inner Solar system environment. Though there are a few mature models, the origin of Moon still needs further explanations. Extensive mapping of lunar surface to study variations in lunar surface composition is essential to trace back the origin and evolution of the Moon. Evidence for water molecules discovered by Chandrayaan-1, requires further studies on the extent of water molecule distribution on the surface, below the surface and in the tenuous lunar exosphere to address the origin of water on Moon.

The lunar South Pole is especially interesting because of the lunar surface area here that remains in shadow is much larger than that at the North Pole. There is a possibility of the presence of water in permanently shadowed areas around it. In addition, South Pole region has craters that are cold traps and contain a fossil record of the early Solar System.

Accordingly, Chandrayaan-2 will attempt to soft land the lander -Vikram and rover- Pragyan in a high plain between two craters, Manzinus C and Simpelius N, at a latitude of about 70° south.

What makes Chandrayaan 2 special?

• 1st space mission to conduct a soft landing on the Moon's south polar region.
  • 1st Indian expedition to attempt a soft landing on the lunar surface with home-grown technology.
  • 1st Indian mission to explore the lunar terrain with home-grown technology.
  • 4th country ever to soft land on the lunar surface.

Landing Site:

D5jwL1nWsAAFsJc.jpeg

July 5, 2019

1. Link checks for lander & orbiter from ground station in progress.
2. Vehicle phase 3 level 2A checks completed.

July 6, 2019

Launch vehicle ready for movement to launch pad.

Good for ISRO

Any idea on which date the Rover will land on the Surface?

Any plans for searching for Yeti on the lunar surface too? =P

Quite an accomplishment for ISRO. Good luck

July 7, 2019

1. GSLV MkIII-M1 moved to launch pad.
2. Spacecraft is powered and health check in progress.

Historic moment if this mission becomes successful , it will be nice to Indian flag on moon , are we gonna do that?
Don't be too happy before the egg hatched. Israel, Russia/ESA have their lander crashed landed on lunar and Mars recently.

It's not an easy feat!

W
The landing is on September 6.
Why so long?

Don't be too happy before the egg hatched. Israel, Russia/ESA have their lander crashed landed on lunar and Mars recently.

It's not an easy feat!
I know its quite difficult thats why used the word "if" in my post

Back
Top Bottom