What's new

Israeli nuclear expert: Netanyahu using Iran threat for political gain

raptor22

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
Israeli nuclear expert: Netanyahu using Iran threat for political gain

Ex-head of Israel's Atomic Energy Commission says Iran is at least a decade from a nuclear bomb, doubts whether Tehran even wants a nuclear weapon.

L485l.jpg

Iran's nuclear program is at least 10 years from being operational, and in the meantime Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is using the Iranian threat for political gain, according to a leading Israeli nuclear expert.

The former head of the Israel Atomic Energy Commission, Uzi Eilaman, told Yedioth Ahronoth daily (Hebrew) in an interview that Israel's threats of attacking Iran are empty - and that he is not sure Iran even wants a nuclear bomb.

"Talk and threats regarding an attack on Iran were harsh words that did not help," Eilam says. "We cannot be at the forefront of this. Practically speaking, the situation is that Iran's nuclear facilities are spread out and buried, tucked under tons of meters of dirt and concrete and steel. It requires much more than a single blow, like the [bombing of] the nuclear reactor in Iraq or Syria," Yedioth Ahronoth cited him as saying. If Israel were to attack Iran, it would be starting a war, he said.

Eilam, a central figure in the development of Israel's nuclear program, headed the nuclear agency for 10 years until 1985. Since then he has worked as a defense consultant and researcher.

"Because I was involved in many technology projects, I learned the hard way that things take time," Eilam told the daily. "Netanyahu and other politicians have instilled a terrible and unnecessary fear in the Israeli public, and I'm pleased that the flames of the talk surrounding the Iranian issue are low at the moment."

While Netanyahu condemned the West's interim deal with Iran as an "historic mistake," Eilam is far more optimistic. The steps Iran has reportedly taken are "most significant," he said. Among these, he highlighted Tehran's reduction by half of its stockpile of uranium fuel enriched to 20 percent.

The nuclear expert believes in diplomatic steps, accompanied by sanctions. "I think you have to give diplomacy a serious opportunity, alongside continuing sanctions, and I'm not sure that Iran even wants a bomb. It could be enough for them to be a nuclear-threshold state in order to become a regional power and scare the neighbors."

Attacking Iran now would only unite the people behind the regime, and encourage the regime to invest more resources in the program, he said. It will achieve exactly the opposite of what Israel wants, Eilam added.

Why is Netanyahu using the Iranian issue for political reasons? Eilam doesn't have a clear answer. "I learned engineering and dealt with research and development. I gave no idea about his psychology, or about ours," he told the paper.

Source : haaretz

Bias source. Since when is defending Israel against evil forces gaining political influence gain? It is a by product.

Bias source. Since when is defending Israel against evil forces gaining political influence gain? It is a by product.
Depends on perspective. For you, I'm evil, for me, you're evil and Netanyahu's rhetoric has nothing to do with defending Israel. He is trying badly to prevent a deal and start a war, more or less, making the 'wipe Israel off the map' hoax even more real. He's just a right wing nutjob and many things he does regarding FP has barely anything to do with human logic. None of his actions regarding Iran has helped Israel or any other country even slightly.

Depends on perspective. For you, I'm evil, for me, you're evil and Netanyahu's rhetoric has nothing to do with defending Israel. He is trying badly to prevent a deal and start a war, more or less, making the 'wipe Israel off the map' hoax even more real. He's just a right wing nutjob and many things he does regarding FP has barely anything to do with human logic. None of his actions regarding Iran has helped Israel or any other country even slightly.
I'm not going to have the same discussion but you know that Iran is supporting terrorism against Israel and other neighbors. While they don't support terrorism against you. It is not matter of opinion but eye for an eye principle. US and Israel know even if there is a nuclear deal, the core issue "Iranian behaviour" won't be changed. We want long term solutions. Not short term solution.

Quit it with your extreme nationalism, or you'd be asking for a ban. We don't preach the right wing fascist narrative on this message board.

That nonsense belongs in right wing terrorist forums.

^^^ lol , haarets is a very famous israeli site .

so basically they are condemning themselves .

give it a rest

Haaretz is a far left/radical let, they will post anything which is anti Israeli, the talkbacks there are on par with presstv.

Haaretz is a far left/radical let, they will post anything which is anti Israeli, the talkbacks there are on par with presstv.
Don't you think the image in the first post talk for itself ?

If you read the text you'll see the interview was taken by Yedioth Ahronoth daily in the fist place .

Iran doesn't need nukes to destroy the Zionists it's the other way around the Zionists who have 200 nuclear warhead and their American protectors have 5000 warhead

Back
Top Bottom